Questions about adding different lights to planet alpine

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Hi, I bought planet alpine, and I really love it, but I wanted to change the lights from those that came with the product.

However, when I use Lantios lights with the product, the sky renders with a grid? Is there something I can do to make the grid go away?

It doesn't render this way wtih daz's default lights.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

sample.jpg
358 x 400 - 51K

Comments

• msorrelsmsorrels Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I'm having this problem too but it seems to be related to the Uber Environment light in the scene. If I remove that, it renders correctly. But if I add any Uber Environment light it renders the grid on the skydome. Forum searches are worthless at finding any solutions to this. I've reset and reinstalled the Uber lights but that didn't change anything. I get a bunch of console errors when rendering with the Uber Environment light as well. Clearly I have some sort of config/install problem.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

The grid is really unsightly and limits the types of lights I can use. I agree does appear uber environment related.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Few things you can try; one is checking the shadow bias on your lights ( I know I'm sounding like a broken record :P) and the other thing is to subD the sky dome.

I've had this with Magic 101's worldbase and I just subDed the hell out of it. btw planet alpine should work with UE I did several renders with in with no problems..

come to think of it DoF and a fog cam might have hidden the effect :P

Post edited by Machieltje on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

What you can also do is to apply a surface shader to the skydome that allows you turn occlusion off. E.g. I use pwSurface2 for that, but you could also use one of the uberSurface shaders.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Few things you can try; one is checking the shadow bias on your lights ( I know I'm sounding like a broken record :P) and the other thing is to subD the sky dome.

I've had this with Magic 101's worldbase and I just subDed the hell out of it. btw planet alpine should work with UE I did several renders with in with no problems..

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did have good luck changing shadow bias to 1.0 in uber environment. no more grid! Thanks! Machieltje

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

I did have good luck changing shadow bias to 1.0 in uber environment. no more grid! Thanks! Machieltje

Just be careful as shadow bias affects other items in the scene as well and may create "weird" shadows.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:

Just be careful as shadow bias affects other items in the scene as well and may create "weird" shadows.

Shadow bias is a tricky customer which is why I also offered a second sollution and after some quick testing I've found it also works in planet alpine.

I've had several domes and even landscape geometry showing the mesh with UE2 and subD made the grid paterns go away. It's a bit wierd for a sphere to show grid lines rather than facets but there you go, the mysteries of 3D rendering.

edited December 1969

You're welcome :)