Avast users...expect problems downloading files from the store.

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
edited December 2012 in The Commons

In one of the threads about Norton 'eating' files, I predicted that other AVs would start using that same bogus 'reputation' based file 'security' standard...just never expected my prediction to happen this soon (no, I'm not going to predict the Power Ball numbers...)

Well, in another thread a couple of Avast users reported that, yep, you guessed it...

They had problems downloading a file and their AV went all 'Red Alert...the Romulans are attacking' on them...

Fivecat's post (#550) in this thread is the first... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P540

Ecocam posted a pic of the warning at dropbox...

The pic proves it's based on 'reputation' profiling...

It starts...

Very few people in the global community of avast! users have ever encountered this file...

What a steaming glazed stoneware vessel of manure!

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Comments

• edited December 1969

It looks pretty easy to turn it off in Avast. Open up your avast manager and find the option in the attached image.

avast.jpg
    800 x 338 - 90K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, at least that's easier than Symantec's version...

• edited December 1969

I just updated avast and didn't realize they added this "feature." I had not heard of reputation services prior to this. IMO it should be off by default so people aren't getting all these false warnings.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    I just updated avast and didn't realize they added this "feature." I had not heard of reputation services prior to this. IMO it should be off by default so people aren't getting all these false warnings.

Yeah...and a huge, bright red flashing warning box on the updater...over the past 12 yrs, I've dealt with so many these kind of 'we know best' type updates, I've lost count. Of course, over the years changes in management and what not have left many of these companies not paying attention to history and they are attempting the same nonsense that was slapped down several times before. The only difference is now it seems there isn't much being made of it...

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

Norton USED to have a service that let you allow all downloads from a site, and i'd set it to allow all downloads from Daz studio. Now, I have to watch EVERY DOWNLOAD. I don't know where the quarantine is to restore from if I miss the small brief popup telling me it was removed. Then i don't realize i'm missing a download until after I install and realize all teh textures are missing or something.

It's a real nuisance and a very ridiculous method of removing files. :/