Totally Newb Question

I'm sure that I did something to screw this up but I can't figure out how to fix.  I feel kind of silly.  The control that looks like an arrow at the top left side panel that moves the tiems backwards and forward or up and down isn't working.  I can move the arrows but the prop does not move with it.  A tiny yellow cube moves as well as the outlines on the walls but the actual cube does not.  Have no idea what stupid thing I hit but can't reposition anything.  The rotating one works as does the sizing.  The universal one that has all three options, the sizing and the rotate work, the move left right up down does not.

Comments

• Caps Lock problem it seams ... wink

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Well that's not something I would have thought of thanks!

Quick question on UV mapping before I pitch my entire pc out the window.  If it doesn't unwrap the way I want it to, how do I get rid of the secection so I can start over without getting rid of the model?  And how the heck can I size the pieces on the uv map?  I have the bottom of the post finally uv mapped (don't even ask how long that took its embarassing) but I need to add the top of the post and the pole of the post to the uv map.  I'm past frustrated and can't find it in the manual.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

It's hard to NOT get frustrated doing UV Mapping - especially (for me) unwrapping. It takes a lot of patience and even more practice.

Get rid of Selections? You mean seams? If so, select all of the edges in the seam and click the "-" button while it's on Seams (instead of Pins)

To resize on the grid, select the edges you want to resize, rotate or move, and use the tools for rotation, scaling, translate, etc.,

I find it easiest to make my selection and drag it out of the grid away from all of the other pieces so I can select it easier.

So I make a selection, go to Operations and Detach Polygons, then drag that section out of the grid. I'll do that for all of my separate pieces, dragging them to their own spot outside of the grid.

Next I drag them back into the grid one at a time, rotating and scaling them how I want them to be in the map.

Be careful when scaling to not turn things inside out. The tools can be quite fidgety. Larger monitors work best so we can zoom in. The more we're zoomed in on the selection, the smoother the tools work.

Someone else will have to help with Unwrapping - that part kills me still. here's a cool video though:

Thank you!  I had to walk away for a bit lol.  Will watch the video and try again tomorrow.  I'm stubborn like that lol.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The UV editor is a "bit" primitive (understatement of the year), but you can at least use the point / edge / face selection options, make lasso & rectangle selections, loop, between etc. There are no alignment toos as such (but you can use the scale tool to straighten wobbly edges).

Getting a good layout is a bit of an art form, especially getting things to fit in the grid, and all be correctly scaled and oriented (if you're planning to use a simple texture sheet -- such as wood -- for your model, you need to pay attention to which direction the grain goes in and orient accordingly. For example, table legs or door frames always go with the grain, not across it. There are an awful lot of models in the store that get this wrong.)

One day I'm going to record making something from start to end, modelling, UV mapping, rigging, texturing, exporting to DS (& rigging there). Just need to find the right thing, and the time . . .

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

OK, I am going to make Tim laugh by trying to do a walk-through of uvmapping a post with a crown.  I am going to stick the walk-through in another thread but I will come back and link to it here.

EDIT : A uvmapping walk-through is here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1790586/#Comment_1790586

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited November 2016
    diomede said:

OK, I am going to make Tim laugh by trying to do a walk-through of uvmapping a post with a crown.  I am going to stick the walk-through in another thread but I will come back and link to it here.

Is that mapping a forum post . . . ? wink

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Thanks for posting this and the replies... it's one of my weakest areas (among many many many)!

yes heart Silene

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

If you have a simple object shape,. such as a cube  or rectangular Post,. then it's simplest and easiest to use the Default UV Mapping layout presets,. Such as Box,. Spherical etc.

look at the object you're trying to mapm then try applying a preset that best fit's that shape.

If it's not what you wanted,. simply apply a different Preset mapping type.

NOTE: each preset mapping type also has some Layout options,. alternative splitting layouts,.  or for each axis.

If it's a more complex shape ,. then you need to manually define split seams in the model,. and after unwrapping,. you need to manually move, scale, and rotate the seperate pieces to fit them into the UV grid the way you want them.

RIGHT CLICK in the UV editor to bring up the pop-up tools menu...  Scale/Rotate/Move etc.

DOUBLE CLICK on an objects edge in the uv editor to select the entire object.

Use the ( + - ) to Grow or reduce a selection.

hope it helps :)

• The UV editor is a "bit" primitive (understatement of the year), but you can at least use the point / edge / face selection options, make lasso & rectangle selections, loop, between etc. There are no alignment toos as such (but you can use the scale tool to straighten wobbly edges).

Getting a good layout is a bit of an art form, especially getting things to fit in the grid, and all be correctly scaled and oriented (if you're planning to use a simple texture sheet -- such as wood -- for your model, you need to pay attention to which direction the grain goes in and orient accordingly. For example, table legs or door frames always go with the grain, not across it. There are an awful lot of models in the store that get this wrong.)

One day I'm going to record making something from start to end, modelling, UV mapping, rigging, texturing, exporting to DS (& rigging there). Just need to find the right thing, and the time . . .

It was always a bloody mistery to me why there is no manipulator un UV space, and why there is no faces or edges selection, why vertices only, and what in the world happend to soft selection ???

Don't make me even start with Waight Painting, lol smiley

Yes I've just discovered the "joys" of weight painting in the last couple of days. On a hard-body prop, so I don't want any weight falloff, just solid "these polys or nothing". Spent most of my time unpainting bits I didn't want highlighted! So much easier in Studio, where I can select a named group or shading domain or whatever and just say "fill!" 

• Yes I've just discovered the "joys" of weight painting in the last couple of days. On a hard-body prop, so I don't want any weight falloff, just solid "these polys or nothing". Spent most of my time unpainting bits I didn't want highlighted! So much easier in Studio, where I can select a named group or shading domain or whatever and just say "fill!" 

Yep, I had the exact same problem with robot I modeled recently, weights transfer from original mesh to a clothing item is pretty much impossible, I have to go to Blender to do that, which is so sad sad

I ended up "rigging" my robot with simple parenting which is really not what I wanted in the first place, but, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, lol smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

And to compound my trouble with the English language, I used a crown to map the forum post.  cheeky

diomede said:

Is that mapping a forum post . . . ? wink

Parenting is what I've always done in the past, because it' so much quicker, easier, and provides pretty much the same results. Although Carrara does have a habit of forgetting the constraints, even though they still appear to be set.

Thought I'd better have a go at doing it "properly" It was a 4-bone robot-type arm (actually a surgical lamp, but conceptually it's a robot arm). Took the whole evening and at least 6 attempts, but I cracked it in the end! Next I need to figure out a hip joint, cos I've got a sink unit with a swivel spout and mixer taps begging to be rigged . . .

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 17.59.17.png
    1519 x 1078 - 381K

That did the trick thank you so much!  I did get the post uv mapped and its starting to make a bit of sense now.