Carrara sound playback help?

Hi All,

Looking for tips on how to get sound to playback nicely in Carrara, in order to sync. I am recording some VO via Premiere which exports as a .wav.  It is not importing directly into Carrara unless I re-export it at 24 bit. Well, maybe I could live with that, but the Carrara playback is a mess with repetitions and static.

Any tips for a smoother process? Thank you,

Rick

Comments

• you got that cross unchecked for skipping frames?

and yeah its not the greatest at playback

• screencapture with unchecked and checked

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It's actually easier to add the audio in premiere (or any other video editor compositor),. and adjust it's position in the timeline to match the visuals,.

most of the time,. in film,. sound is re-recorded in a studio, and added to the images, and all of that's done after creating the visuals.

it's not easy to split audio into frame length slices ,. and play that back as identifiable audio,. hence the stuttering / static noise.

On the Sound channel, in the timeline sequencer,. there's a little black line with triangles at the start of the track,.

you can grab and scratch that along the timeline to get a start position for the audio,. it's still stuttery,. but it's usable for general start / stop events.

it's often easier with spoken aiudio,. to use the Waveform of the audio as a reference,. ...Peaks and    Gaps.

MimicPro for Carrara,.  is also pretty useful for analysing audio, it creates a bunch of NLA clips in the timeline,. which is also useful as a guide for syncing other events in 3D.

hope it helps :)

• protovuprotovu Posts: 194
    edited November 2016

Hi 3Dage,

Thanks for the response. The uncheck works great!

I completely agree that it is easier to add the audio in Premiere, generally.

And, I plan on deleting the sound for the final Carrara render, and re-adding in Premiere. But, for general timing of the animation action, I need to get the sound (Voice over) into Carrara, without stuttering, etc.

Looking at Audacity now to see if I can output .wav files that can import directly into Carrara. ....No playback in Audacity..Gack!  What are your .wav settings? Do record in a particular software that allows you to import easily into Carrara?

Post edited by protovu on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    3DAGE said:

It's actually easier to add the audio in premiere (or any other video editor compositor),. and adjust it's position in the timeline to match the visuals,.

Agreed.  Probably most are aware of this, but just to mention it ... I do this a lot in Magix' Movie Edit Pro, and in particular use the audio tool that allows time stretching and pitch changing, independently.  If necessary, I slice up the audio to allow stretching/contracting of each piece to match the video.  This happens in real time so its easy to see if the key sound points are at the same point as the desired video frame(s).  The stretching/contracting is probably limited to around 10%, but that usually is enough if the video is normal timing.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Protovu :) ,. yes,. it's probably something to do with the export from premiere,.

I'm using 16bit wav files ,. no issues loading into carrara, i've also used lower quality wav's successfully.

I'll generally use  Ableton or magix Samplitude for sound stuff,. depending on what I'm doing,.

You should be able to use something like ...the free trial version of Magix music maker to export wav files which should be fine in Carrara.

they have 30day tryout versions,. full functions,.

As Steve K points out, magix have a great features in their software. ...well worth checking out. :)

edited November 2016

Great tips. Thanks very much, 3Dage. Just tried Wavosaur. Seems to output appropriate .wav files at better quality than Premiere.

And, also, Thank you, 3Ddigit. Particularly for the "uncheck" tip. 

Post edited by protovu on

And, also, Thank you, 3Ddigit. Particularly for the "uncheck" tip. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I can vouch for the Magix tools as well - note that music-maker (and samplitude) will let you import a video and sync your sound in thier tool. I usually have to re-render the video to a 240x360 (16x9) small size to get smooth playback, but it's actually really handy for both voice-over (cutting out silence, or split/shifting to sync) as well as doing music in sync with the video. I then use the Magix editors to work full-size versions, titles, effects, grading, and export formats, etc. Most editors are pretty good at the last step...

Magix just bought SOny Vegas, and it works with most of the hitfilm effects/plugins, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes over the longer term. I hear good things about Vegas as well. Both do 3D-stereo well.

cheers,

--ms

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,041

screencapture with unchecked and checked

Can I ask how you got such smooth animation? My Carrara goes at light speed when rotating, moving, translating, modifying everything, but gets incredibly sluggish when I try to preview the animations...

• Imago said:

screencapture with unchecked and checked

Can I ask how you got such smooth animation? My Carrara goes at light speed when rotating, moving, translating, modifying everything, but gets incredibly sluggish when I try to preview the animations...

it varies depending on what is in the scene.

That is just V4 naked! well she has a texture converted RawArt Jaguar Skin!

I hide other stuff to preview animations too.