December 2016 New User 3D Art Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Who knew the Grinch was a Dahar Master??

Where'd you get the batleth(sp?)?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Who knew the Grinch was a Dahar Master??

Hahahahahahahaha omg I almost spit out my coffee looking at this damn funny render!!!!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

But I still have problems. As you can see there are square rasters in the water. Is this a render- or a setting problem? Oh, and she have a strong reflection from the pink primitiv on the down side of her legs. 

What are you using for the water?

Is there a bump map, a normal map or something else being used?

The reflection is down to a couple of things...the surface settings, namely how shiny it is and the strength of the color.

I using a free water texturing(1600x1063). Mhh, ok I had no bump applied until yet, because I first wanted to know what's the reason for the squares.

Now as I had activate the bump setting and some refraction, the water looks better, but the squares still there. 

dec 3.jpg
    2133 x 1600 - 993K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited December 2016

I like her expression and her looks, but I'd like the render better if she had a light coming onto from her left shoulder (your right) and that pink float was a sea turtle or a whale or walrus or one of those sea creatures from the DAZ Store if you have them.

The reason for the squares is probably pixelation for having a texture smaller than the mesh surface it's being tiled across, so I'd try increasing the tiling in both directions little by little til you get the water surface how you like.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited December 2016

Here is I think what will be the final version of the first entry

Done in Daz Studio 4.9, Rendered in IRay, posed by me and retextured the Bikini and Shorts, used Daz Default Spot Lights No Postwork.

Titled: Kirk and Sandra Sharing a Kiss Under The Mistletoe

Kirk and Sandra Sharing a Kiss Under The Mistletoe.png
    1146 x 1433 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Some old thing I download ages ago (pre-Bryce).. made nice new textures, but the geometry is so horriffic that they don't carry through. My project this week will be to craft a new bat'leth and mek'leth with adequate polygons. I'm not great at modeling, but I am great at vector.. wish I could find an app that'd let you extrude and monkey with eps files.

• Here's a second, less humor, more work.

Bettie 01.jpg
    826 x 1000 - 766K
  • Having a problem with my balls though.. (The striped ones, top and bottom) I want the appearance of frosted on paint over chrome. I start with a chrome sphere and then add a 0.001 geometry shell. On the shell I put a frosted glass shader and add my color and opacity maps. Trouble is, I'm getting weird artifacts.. it's not a reflection off the foreground, I added a skydome to be sure. Pic attached. Any thoughts welcome.

Temp.jpg
    178 x 152 - 53K
  • kanegskanegs Posts: 80

Here's what I got so far... I'm open to all comments and suggestions.

winters night.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 520K
    kanegs said:

Create bloom but not too much. Moon if you can cast it with a light blue hue but barely and it would be nice if you put it up & to the right top (the moon) and have it cast a pale barely blue light on the right (her left) shoulder and in front of her on the path. If you do the light effect with the moon you will need to dial bloom effect way down.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Some old thing I download ages ago (pre-Bryce).. made nice new textures, but the geometry is so horriffic that they don't carry through. My project this week will be to craft a new bat'leth and mek'leth with adequate polygons. I'm not great at modeling, but I am great at vector.. wish I could find an app that'd let you extrude and monkey with eps files.

If you do your vectors as SVGs, then Blender can import them and convert them to mesh objects.

Having a problem with my balls though.. (The striped ones, top and bottom) I want the appearance of frosted on paint over chrome. I start with a chrome sphere and then add a 0.001 geometry shell. On the shell I put a frosted glass shader and add my color and opacity maps. Trouble is, I'm getting weird artifacts.. it's not a reflection off the foreground, I added a skydome to be sure. Pic attached. Any thoughts welcome.

Try a little bit more offset on the geo-shell.

• kanegs said:

Just had a flashback of my late uncle as I looked at this. We were at a park that had no lights at all, but this one night when the moon was full, and the sky clear, the place was so lit up we thought for a moment a light had been set up somewhere nearby. Silly us it was just the moon.

Sorry about rambling there.

Not a bad start that you have here, I like the snow blowing along the ground. But like it was pointed out you should try to get some lighting from the moon in the background cast in the scene.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

But I still have problems. As you can see there are square rasters in the water. Is this a render- or a setting problem? Oh, and she have a strong reflection from the pink primitiv on the down side of her legs. 

The reflection is down to a couple of things...the surface settings, namely how shiny it is and the strength of the color.

I using a free water texturing(1600x1063). Mhh, ok I had no bump applied until yet, because I first wanted to know what's the reason for the squares.

Now as I had activate the bump setting and some refraction, the water looks better, but the squares still there. 

That looks very much as If there ist one tile used for the whole water thing. Try looking if you find a slider with Tile x/y in the surfaces tab and dial that up to 5 or even higher on both scales. Its a bit trial and error til it looks right

As well try throwing in the Bump map to the displacement as well, that should break up the very clean line of water on that pink floating divice

Having a problem with my balls though.. (The striped ones, top and bottom) I want the appearance of frosted on paint over chrome. I start with a chrome sphere and then add a 0.001 geometry shell. On the shell I put a frosted glass shader and add my color and opacity maps. Trouble is, I'm getting weird artifacts.. it's not a reflection off the foreground, I added a skydome to be sure. Pic attached. Any thoughts welcome.

larger pic please, hard to see any artefacts on that scale

kanegs said:

Create bloom but not too much. Moon if you can cast it with a light blue hue but barely and it would be nice if you put it up & to the right top (the moon) and have it cast a pale barely blue light on the right (her left) shoulder and in front of her on the path. If you do the light effect with the moon you will need to dial bloom effect way down.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a test render last night using your sugestions. It looked promising, but I tweaked a few settings and started another one.

Side note..., DA Let it Snow is available for FREE for today only (Dec. 9th). See here: http://www.daz3d.com/da-let-it-snow.

mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

Linwelly said:
    daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

That looks very much as If there ist one tile used for the whole water thing. Try looking if you find a slider with Tile x/y in the surfaces tab and dial that up to 5 or even higher on both scales. Its a bit trial and error til it looks right

As well try throwing in the Bump map to the displacement as well, that should break up the very clean line of water on that pink floating divice

Sometimes problems can be solved so easily, when someone tells you, what to do.
    Thanks a lot to nonesuch00 and Linwelly.
    I have changed the light and the screen format, also the position of the cam. I see that I must do some adjustments with the deformers ( Butt and left foot).

Short note to nonesuch00: Originaly I only tryed some deformer exercises, but it came out so nice, that i spontaneously used the results as an air mattress.

dec5.jpg
    2133 x 1199 - 895K
    daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

Linwelly said:
    daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

I have changed the light and the screen format, also the position of the cam. I see that I must do some adjustments with the deformers ( Butt and left foot).

Short note to nonesuch00: Originaly I only tryed some deformer exercises, but it came out so nice, that i spontaneously used the results as an air mattress.

Water looks awesome now but there seems to be a mismatch between the face texture and the body texture. As I'm not a texturing expert, or even decent amateur, I would suggest putting a wide-brim tropical feminine hat on the lady to put her face in a bit of shadow (it's be a cool effect if the brim was laced and threw laced shadows on her face) and hide the tanning mismatch, although I guess such a tanning mismatch between face & body is more common nowdays with strong sunscreens.  

daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

Linwelly said:
    daybird said:
    mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:

Water looks awesome now but there seems to be a mismatch between the face texture and the body texture. As I'm not a texturing expert, or even decent amateur, I would suggest putting a wide-brim tropical feminine hat on the lady to put her face in a bit of shadow (it's be a cool effect if the brim was laced and threw laced shadows on her face) and hide the tanning mismatch, although I guess such a tanning mismatch between face & body is more common nowdays with strong sunscreens.  

Lol, must be a vers stron sunscreen. I agree the water looks cool now. For the face i guess you applied some facial materials that were meant for another character than the rest of the skin. Try applying all material for the lady from one character (skinset) and choose the makeup options from the same character set, that schoud prevent "Tan lines" wink

kanegs said:
    kanegs said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a test render last night using your sugestions. It looked promising, but I tweaked a few settings and started another one.

Side note..., DA Let it Snow is available for FREE for today only (Dec. 9th). See here: http://www.daz3d.com/da-let-it-snow.

I like how this version turned out. I have a second version rendering with a brighter fill light for the face.

Changes made:

• Moonlight is a shade of blue
    • Moon moved
    • Tree on right moved
    • Lantern flame changed
    • Slight pose change
    • Reduce environmental (HDRI) intensity
    • Added fill mesh light for face.
    • Turned on bloom

All comments and suggestions welcome.

winters night 3.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 423K
    kanegs said:
    kanegs said:
    kanegs said:

I like how this version turned out. I have a second version rendering with a brighter fill light for the face.

Changes made:

• Moonlight is a shade of blue
    • Moon moved
    • Tree on right moved
    • Lantern flame changed
    • Slight pose change
    • Reduce environmental (HDRI) intensity
    • Added fill mesh light for face.
    • Turned on bloom

All comments and suggestions welcome.

That's gorgeous, a much more vibrant picture.

edited December 2016

Here is a revised version with lights turned down some and some shadows turned off

On a footnote my granddaughter is the insperation for this render she is only 3 years old and told me that Mommy told her that Santa needs to eat after all the running around he does on Christmas nite so the items in the picture is what my Granddaughter told her Mommy to put out for Santa and his reindeer!!!!

Setting Food Out For Santa2.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Here is a revised version with lights turned down some and some shadows turned off

On a footnote my granddaughter is the insperation for this render she is only 3 years old and told me that Mommy told her that Santa needs to eat after all the running around he does on Christmas nite so the items in the picture is what my Granddaughter told her Mommy to put out for Santa and his reindeer!!!!

Wow, lots going on there. There is some blue stuff on the kids face, was that intended? If yes you probably need to make that more obvious, probably having blue icing over her hands as well or somthing like that.

The chrismas tree and presents could probably use some work as well right now they look a bit too much like a plane with an image of the tree on it. If you don't have a good prop for that you could try using DOF so the kitchen with mom and Kid is clear and next room is blurred out of focus.

Linwelly said:

Lol, must be a vers stron sunscreen. I agree the water looks cool now. For the face i guess you applied some facial materials that were meant for another character than the rest of the skin. Try applying all material for the lady from one character (skinset) and choose the makeup options from the same character set, that schoud prevent "Tan lines" wink

Shame on me. There are so many things I've learned and forgotten. I have the feeling to be the greatest noob of all.blush

Now I have implied the correct material on her. However, I have lost the sweat effect on her skin. Any chance, to get him back?

new skin.jpg
    2133 x 1199 - 897K
    daybird said:

Linwelly said:

Shame on me. There are so many things I've learned and forgotten. I have the feeling to be the greatest noob of all.blush

Now I have implied the correct material on her. However, I have lost the sweat effect on her skin. Any chance, to get him back?

Yes, the easy way without buying a product:

1. go into the Surfaces and for each her Skin & Nail Surfaces & set the Top Coat Map to None

2. increase the Top Coat Weight to Maximum for all her skin & nail Surfaces

3. For her Skin Surfaces set the Top Coat Roughness to 40 and for her Fingernails & Toenail set her Top Coat Roughness to about 20

4. Adjusting the Top Coat Roughness to smaller numbers makes her look most plastic like/wet while making them bigger make her look dryer

Instead of deleting her Top Coat Map you could maximze the Top Coat Strength settings and then set the Top Coat Roughness to smaller numbers to get a sweaty look without looking too wet/plastic but that only works for some Top Coat Maps or you have to create up the lights to be extremely bright.

It's up to you which you prefer.

daybird said:

1. go into the Surfaces and for each her Skin & Nail Surfaces & set the Top Coat Map to None

3. For her Skin Surfaces set the Top Coat Roughness to 40 and for her Fingernails & Toenail set her Top Coat Roughness to about 20

4. Adjusting the Top Coat Roughness to smaller numbers makes her look most plastic like/wet while making them bigger make her look dryer

Instead of deleting her Top Coat Map you could maximze the Top Coat Strength settings and then set the Top Coat Roughness to smaller numbers to get a sweaty look without looking too wet/plastic but that only works for some Top Coat Maps or you have to create up the lights to be extremely bright.

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find the coat map setting in the surface tab.
    I select Genesis 2, click on surface tab and there on skin.
    There are a lot of settings, but no such coat map, even not if I selected a single skin.
    Do I need a special shader for this?
    Until now, I have only put the Iray optimizing material on her.

• Here we are with version d. Made use of DOF to try and draw the focus on Cheetah. Because of my system trying to run low on memory I had to do three renders, 1.) Cheetah + Background, 2.) Ivan + Background, 3. Cheetah on her own without anything.

I then brought said renders into photoshop where I lined every thing up, and used the third render on the list to help create the mask used to bring the other two together.

dec2016d.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 826K
  • SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited December 2016

Hey all, it's looking good. Just dropped by because I'm was fighting with getting some hair to fit. Did a quick render. Probably won't enter, but it's free render, so... gratis. She's a Lil' Hippy Chick(obviously)

Crits and Comments are welcomed.

LilHippyChick.jpg
    600 x 800 - 113K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited December 2016
    SkpFX said:

Hey all, it's looking good. Just dropped by because I'm was fighting with getting some hair to fit. Did a quick render. Probably won't enter, but it's free render, so... gratis. She's a Lil' Hippy Chick(obviously)

Crits and Comments are welcomed.

Not a bad start in my openion, but I'd recomend getting some more shadows from her on the ground so as to anchor her into the set. To me it almost looks like she was photoshoped in since I'm not really seeing any shadows on the ground around her.

Edit: Looking a little closer, I saw a bit of shadowing right under her. Sorry about that.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    daybird said:

Linwelly said:

OK, I didn't know you have Genesis 2 character.

If you are doing 3DL render, someone else needs to chime in, I have no ideal.

In that case just needing to convert your model to iRay the steps are still mostly the same but:

1. Select you character & then in the Smart Content Tab for the or the Content Library folder for your Genesis 2 assets you must select the Apply iRay for Genesis 2 Female icon I'm not sure exactly the name of that icon but if you look around a little bit then you will find it, otherwise just select in the Content Library in Shader Presets the very 1st shader preset in the iRay Uber Shader - it's 1st on the top left when you navigate to that folder of iRay Preset that comes from with DAZ Studio, just select your model in the scene tab, select that model's Surfaces in the Surfaces Tab, and then double click the iRay Uebershader icon in that Shader Presets folder in the Content Library Tab/Pane.

2. Now, if you scroll in the Surfaces tab for the various skin surfaces and you find there is no 'Top Coat' map applied that saves you some work - just set the slider for the 'Top Coat Weight' as high as it will go and the 'Top Coat Roughness' between 0.3 - 0.6 as discussed earlier to create a 'sweaty' or 'oily' look to the model's skin.

Here we are with version d. Made use of DOF to try and draw the focus on Cheetah. Because of my system trying to run low on memory I had to do three renders, 1.) Cheetah + Background, 2.) Ivan + Background, 3. Cheetah on her own without anything.

I then brought said renders into photoshop where I lined every thing up, and used the third render on the list to help create the mask used to bring the other two together

The DOF worked very well and now cheetah is definitely the middle point in your picture.yes