From Bryce to Daz 4.9

edited December 2016 in Bryce Discussion

I'm adapting a drawn out comic into a 3D one and I'm having issues with this particular model which I believe was created in either Bryce or Blender- https://sketchfab.com/models/65d50c019a444350a95393fef121fb16 (The fact that it's an .obj file leads me to assume that it's a Bryce file.) I've followed every tutorial I could find on both, but either the model is invisible (no textures at all) or fails to import at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Post edited by ladydashara_0670194bc5 on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,499

Bryce does not natively make OBJ files but OBP. Bryce can export and import OBJ as Daz Studio and many other 3D programs can.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Not sure how much I can help here, but looking at the link, it looks to me like a rigged character model. Bryce doesn't recognise rigging in the way that Daz Studio (or Poser etc) do. I suspect if you import this model into Bryce, the best you would get would be a 'statue' stood in it's default position with it's arms outstretched (as per the silhouette on the link). If you managed to get into Bryce and then export to Daz Studio, none of the rigging would be there so you couldn't pose it at all.

Plus, when Bryce imports .obj files, the required .mtl file that tells it how to find and read textures isn't particularly sucessful, which would explain why you're having texture issues.

Without downloading the model myself to see what the package actually includes, it's difficult to know what to suggest, but my guess is that the downloaded package is meant to be installed directly into Daz Studio/Poser (other 3D posing software that understands rigging). And sadly, the website requires that you register (it's free but I'm not into giving up my email address to random sites that I don't know) so I have no idea what other files are included in the download.

Hope this helps.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 2016

Just had a look out of curiosity, this is what is included.

Figure.jpg
    990 x 902 - 656K
    Post edited by StuartB on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

FWIW, in DS 4.8 and below, I have been able to import textured figures and props. I even got the loretta and lorenzo  lo-rez predatron products to jump/spin in a bryce animation, coming from DS generated animations, so I'm pretty sure there is a workflow path that can be made to work. I was able to see the obj texture domains and use bryce materials to adjust the objects/figures in bryce. I'm sure there are OBJs that will not import in bryce, as some are just not as standard as others - as with any program data conversion/import/export. Bryce can see a few other mesh formats, so that might be an option as well.

DS 4.9 may have broken that link/conduit between programs, but I've heard of folks uninstalling/re-installing DS and Bryce in some sequence that re-established the proper EXE paths in a way that both programs were able to 'see' each other.

I hope this helps a bit.

--ms