Hair Fitter

samurlesamurle Posts: 94
edited December 2016 in Product Suggestions

I would like to see something that fits hair to the scalp, similar to how Hat Helper fits hair to hats.  It would be useful for manually fitting old hair to Genesis 2/3, especially in cases where AutoFit fails.

I find the scale x,y,z parameters to be inadequate for hair fitting.  There needs to be morphs that localize the warping to specific regions, like the temples, front, back, sides, etc... without affecting the rest of the hair.

Post edited by samurle on

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

A few PA's include a good number of morphs in their Hair figures to do just that. Sadly, too few!

I don't have Hat Helper, but I assume that it is a whole bunch of D-formers which allow you to manipulate various bits of the Hat (or hair below the hat?). I wonder if such a collection of D-formers is possible for Hair figures as they( the Hair figure geometry and rigging)  may differ quite significantly?

Still it would be useful if it existed!

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 2016

I don't have Hat Helper, but I assume that it is a whole bunch of D-formers which allow you to manipulate various bits of the Hat (or hair below the hat?).

Not exactly. It's a skullcap that you fit to the character and then you fit the hair to the skullcap, not the character. You then make the cap invisible. The skullcap has a bunch of built in morphs to expand parts, shrink others, etc. The hair picks up those morphs when they are dialed in and you can get it to tuck in under the hat in this way.  I suppose it could be used to fit the hair more tightly to the head too in some areas, but they morphs are not really set up for that.

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

I second this.  Especially when it comes to older hairs.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I've made hair caps with morphs for my own use. I parent the cap to the character's head, fit the hair to the cap, then dial in the character morph so the hair fits the head correctly. Trouble is there's very often residual distortion in the hair that requires smoothing or fixing in blender. Unless there's a clever way around that, I can't quite see it working as a commercial product. 

• Is an intermediate object really necessary to create morphs like this?

The Fit Control product doesn't seem to use any intermediate objects to manipulate clothing:
    http://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-3-female-s

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    samurle said:

Is an intermediate object really necessary to create morphs like this?

The Fit Control product doesn't seem to use any intermediate objects to manipulate clothing:
    http://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-3-female-s

That would be very cool, a cross figure hair-fit control product. One for Zev0 perhaps. I've no clue how fit control does its magic. 

• But, I think the clothes must be auto-fitted before Fit Control can manipulate them.
    I think I need something to manipulate a hair prop without being auto-fitted?

It would be amazing if soft cloth physics could solve this problem.  You could fit a hair prop like a real wig.  Just run the simulation, and watch the hair prop fit itself to the scalp.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Hi Samule, I agree that a bit of soft cloth physics would go a long way to solving Hair fit problems. Not just for hair either, but also for clothing. Mesh manipulation brushes could also help.

It would be great if DAZ or one of their PAs were to produce a plugin to add physics to figures and objects in DS. I guess that the programming skills required are high, but it is clear from other programs (even free ones) that it is possible.