Bryce PA store closures? (JAC - Jonathan Allen Cummings ?)

mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
edited December 2016 in Bryce Discussion

Hi all,

Over in the Carrara threads there was mention of some PA store 'closures' due to inactivity. While this makes sense for DAZ Inc., there were some products by Jonathan Allen Cummings (seriously real materials series) that I think are gone from the store.

My two questions are:

can we get ahold of that vendor (Jonathan Allen Cummings) and perhaps still get his products?

can we get a list/warning for other vendors whose stores are flagged for closure?

I understand that a PA newsletter gives some sort of warning to PAs, but it'd be great for the customer-base to know before they're ... gone.

I've seen products discontinued, having the same request, but never entire stores... for Carrara/Bryce users, these few vendors are precious...

Thoughts/Suggestions?

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,499
    edited December 2016

mindsong - yes, Daz does cull vendors that do not contribute a new set in a year and their back catalogue doesn't sell a minimum number. The limit is set quite low and both conditions must be met. A PA can also decide to stop being a vendor at Daz. Several PA that made Bryce content are gone, some continue as PA but for Studio.

JAC was very active as a beta tester for Bryce 6.0/6.1 in 2007 but shortly before or after that development cycle ended, he disappeared. Also his former website doesn't exist anymore. If you once purchased a product from a PA that has his/her store closed, you should be able to find it in your purchase history and it ought still be available to you.

Daz is - in my opinion - very Studio centered at the moment. Studio is being constantly pushed and needs new products that make use of the new options. Carrara and Bryce are not being developed at the time being and what may be considered an old product is still a state-of-the art product.

Post edited by Horo on
  • S RayS Ray Posts: 399

I brokered Poser models at Daz, right after they took over Zygote.  When Studio came out, all new Poser content had to be made Studio friendly. I did one item which could be used in Studio,  I sold it outright to Daz ( http://www.daz3d.com/hover-droid ) I did not like Studio so switched over to Bryce content. But in 2009 I became injured and was unable to continue 3D until midway though 2015. I receive a prior notice before being dropped as a PA,  which is understandable. To be competitive in the 3D content market you have to stay current with new and  compatible assets.  I would also advise everyone (including PAs) to back-up all your content to an external drive. I have Daz & Zygote items on cd that no longer appear in my  product library.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Hi S Ray, 

I believe I have a few of your goodies in my collection, thanks.

The few JAC items I have in my product library are safely available, but I also keep downloads and backups of everything I buy under the assumption the sources may some day be ... gone. :^)

I also don't begrudge DAZ or any other vendor their culling of inactive content, but it would be great to know that it was coming, and perhaps generate a few final sales with a 'going away' notification thread. Although it's probably not a marketing win to say a PA is now economically 'dead', it would be a good customer service, and I, for one, would have $pent more money, had I known.

Maybe Horo could let us know in here if he sees one of his Brycian PA brethren/sistren (?) going away soon. Doesn't hurt to ask.

cheers, and good backups to you all!

--ms