3D Models created in Blender with materials UV mapped do not import correctly into Bryce 7 Pro

Been having problems importing blender OBJ, 3DS or FBX files into Bryce 7 pro ! The models import without the texture material applied, showing just a grey model.

I have virtually give up as to find a workaround ! Any ideas would be of a great help to me !

Thanks,

Lee

Comments

• Are the materials actually map-based? OBJ will not carry over procedural effects, nor will it carry all possible material properties. It's a very basic format, which is why it is so widely suported (though the mtl files that carry surface settings can be tricky to get working).

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Bryce doesn't play particularly nice with .mtl files (the file that tells the 3D programmes what textures go where). But what usually happens is that Bryce asks where it can find the textures specified in the .mtl file.

I'm guessing that if your .obj is importing in without any textures or any requests, you are either choosing import object only (no textures) or that you are not baking the textures onto the model before you export it as an .obj or Blender isn't creating an .mtl file in the same folder as the .obj file.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
     or Blender isn't creating an .mtl file in the same folder as the .obj file.

You have to work pretty hard to do that...Blender tends to put with the obj or not make one at all...and to not make one, is a definite 'go through the export options and undo' setting.

mjc1016 said:
    You have to work pretty hard to do that...

Yup, some people work pretty hard on their 3D laughlaughlaugh

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mjc1016 said:
    You have to work pretty hard to do that...

Yup, some people work pretty hard on their 3D laughlaughlaugh

I meant the defaults are for it to export the mtl...and it's kind of buried to shut it off.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,300
    edited December 2016

I have just tested and it works for me. Below are screen dumps fromp Blender and from Bryce.

I have even applied Bryce materials to the second image from Bryce.

I have created a simple bevelled cube in Blender, added some materials to it and exported as .obj

Then, I have imported that .obj into Bryce. For textured materials, you probably need to bake them up in Blender.

The other option would be to create simple mats in Blender, export as .obj, import to Daz Studio and apply textures there.

Then one can export the textured model from Daz Studio choosing 'collect maps for Bryce' or so.

BevelCubeBlender.jpg
    1899 x 1013 - 442K
    BevelCubeBryce.jpg
    1907 x 1131 - 356K
    BevelCubeBryceMat.jpg
    1909 x 1133 - 440K
    Post edited by Artini on
    mjc1016 said:

I meant the defaults are for it to export the mtl...and it's kind of buried to shut it off.

Yes, I know what you meant. I was simply saying that just when you think you've seen it all... Someone goes the extra mile... I am of course, half joking.

It is more likely in THIS case, that Mr Lee Whitehead has accidentally clicked the Render Without Textures button. smiley