Stop an iRay rendey & resume an iRay render

Hey, I've stopped & resumed an iRay render for the 1st time & notice the elapsed time rendering coincides with the time elapsed from resumption. My question is will the render not run the alotted 3 days I scheduled or will it run for the 3 days - the amount of time elapsed with I originally stopped the render process?

Thanks.

Comments

• I think the last time I tested it... It reset the time as if it were a whole new render.

You can also change the times from the render-window, while it renders. (The little double-arrow, hidden on the left-side wall.)

I do wish they had a "continue", after it was done rendering, and also wish it didn't "close", once saved, so it could be rendered more or saved part-way through. Maybe on the next version.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    JD_Mortal said:

I think the last time I tested it... It reset the time as if it were a whole new render.

You can also change the times from the render-window, while it renders. (The little double-arrow, hidden on the left-side wall.)

I do wish they had a "continue", after it was done rendering, and also wish it didn't "close", once saved, so it could be rendered more or saved part-way through. Maybe on the next version.

I can't find this double-arrow - ah, I found it. Awesome, thanks.

• Just checked it again... No, it does not reset the base-time, just the render-time.

Soo... If the render was set for 3 days, and you canceled, then resumed after 1 day... it will still stop after 2 days from now. Reaching the original 3 day time.

• Curious why you are rendering for such a long time...

Is it to reduce noise? If so, I suggest rendering 2x or 3x larger, if you have enough memory. Run it for about 2-3 hours, and you are done. Use a noise-filter in any art program to get rid of all the noise. Then use a "soften" or real low "blur" setting, to ensure all noise is 100% gone. Reduce the image down to the original desired size, and it should look like it rendered for days.

Retains more sharp detail if you remove the "Pixel-Filter radius" in daz. That makes it essentially "blur" the final rendering, which oddly does not also blur the noise. (I assume it only blurs the converged pixels that have registered a full hit of R G and B.) It is like a fake "full-screen anti-alias", which is actually just a fractional standard "blur". (Novelty post-work, added inline, like the tone-mapping settings which are all just post-work layers. Which is why you can change those settings without having to re-render the whole scene. Memory consumers, when they could all be done after rendering, when we no longer need that memory.)

JD_Mortal said:

Curious why you are rendering for such a long time...

Is it to reduce noise? If so, I suggest rendering 2x or 3x larger, if you have enough memory. Run it for about 2-3 hours, and you are done. Use a noise-filter in any art program to get rid of all the noise. Then use a "soften" or real low "blur" setting, to ensure all noise is 100% gone. Reduce the image down to the original desired size, and it should look like it rendered for days.

Retains more sharp detail if you remove the "Pixel-Filter radius" in daz. That makes it essentially "blur" the final rendering, which oddly does not also blur the noise. (I assume it only blurs the converged pixels that have registered a full hit of R G and B.) It is like a fake "full-screen anti-alias", which is actually just a fractional standard "blur". (Novelty post-work, added inline, like the tone-mapping settings which are all just post-work layers. Which is why you can change those settings without having to re-render the whole scene. Memory consumers, when they could all be done after rendering, when we no longer need that memory.)

I have a 5 year old 3rd Generation Intel i5 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU and 16 GB RAM. I am rendering three days at almost maximum preset size for an iRay render (UHD) & then I choose square which makes it even bigger.

I'm still going to render for 3 days to see have far it actually gets percentage wise & that scale the image down in Gimp to 1920x1920 and that should do it. I'm really only trying these different rendering settings to get an ideal what settings to use when I get a new desktop. Ultimately, I want to animate so I know I will be choosing some sort of Unity 3D style openGL render settings or maybe toon claymation to output for animation unless some sort of rendering breakthrough happens in the next year.

I don't know of any toon claymation style renderer/shader settings in DAZ Studio though for rendering, I guess 1st order of business would be to allow iRay lights to bounce only once in the Render Settings and start modding the surfaces to look clay style, something like Star 2.0 or 3DU or the Girl 7/Guy 7.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Wish list: I wish I could save in-progress render information, to really resume later. Or how about being able to do a temporary save, and print or e-mail the image as "version 1.a" say, or even fiddle with postwork while the "main" render is still doing its thing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2016
    Roman_K2 said:

Wish list: I wish I could save in-progress render information, to really resume later. Or how about being able to do a temporary save, and print or e-mail the image as "version 1.a" say, or even fiddle with postwork while the "main" render is still doing its thing.

The way Iray is set up makes that difficult to impossible...it needs to have the scene loaded into the video card, so it would have to save all of that, along with a 'progress' file of some sort.  I'm not even sure that the data needed can be accessed during an in progress render to create that progress file...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

"Ultimately, I want to animate so I know I will be choosing some sort of Unity 3D style openGL render settings or maybe toon claymation to output for animation unless some sort of rendering breakthrough happens in the next year. I don't know of any toon claymation style renderer/shader settings in DAZ Studio though for rendering, I guess 1st order of business would be to allow iRay lights"

Hi as an animator myself I suggest not even consider trying to render animation in  pathtracer (aka PBR like IRay)

Unless you have multple thousands of dollars to invest in hardware
    or plan to use a render farm.

This is not to say the Indirect light or GI animation render are not practical
    In fact  Six years ago I did this 34 second simple GI render in only 18 hours on my old 2.16 GHZ  CPU macbook with 2 gigs of ram 

After I finish My current animated film which is rendered with standard points and area lights in C4D, I tentatively plan to do More GI animation renders with Vray for C4D
     Like yourself, I am very intersted in  rendering  animation with unity but ATM I can not seem to get my head around how to even render a high quality still in unity.

wolf359 said:

"Ultimately, I want to animate so I know I will be choosing some sort of Unity 3D style openGL render settings or maybe toon claymation to output for animation unless some sort of rendering breakthrough happens in the next year. I don't know of any toon claymation style renderer/shader settings in DAZ Studio though for rendering, I guess 1st order of business would be to allow iRay lights"

Hi as an animator myself I suggest not even consider trying to render animation in  pathtracer (aka PBR like IRay)

Unless you have multple thousands of dollars to invest in hardware
    or plan to use a render farm.

This is not to say the Indirect light or GI animation render are not practical
    In fact  Six years ago I did this 34 second simple GI render in only 18 hours on my old 2.16 GHZ  CPU macbook with 2 gigs of ram 

After I finish My current animated film which is rendered with standard points and area lights in C4D, I tentatively plan to do More GI animation renders with Vray for C4D
     Like yourself, I am very intersted in  rendering  animation with unity but ATM I can not seem to get my head around how to even render a high quality still in unity.

You are right. I will see what the Octane Render can do on typical hardware with Unity integrates that.