Geografted heads possible?

I don't own the Minotaur, so I don't know if that is a geografted head or just a morph, but I wanted to suggest the idea of geografted heads in order to offer more morphing possibilities. It worked very well with BelBel (she wasn't technically geografted, but the idea is the same) and I think it may be the only way to achieve some looks that would otherwise make the default expressions not work. I think many of us would gladly sacrifice the ability to use default expressions and use the ones included in a specific geografted head instead in order to have a wider variety of toony, anime, or creature shapes.

This image (forgive me, I do not know the creator), shows some faces that I think would be pretty difficult to morph our current figures into. With a specific geografted head, featuring perhaps a dozen simple expressions, it might be possible. If you do not think this idea would work, I'd appreciate it if you could explain why.

Thanks very much.

cartoon faces.jpg
600 x 450 - 89K

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited December 2016

I've seen a render in the forums that was a very good cartoon likeness of Dolly Partin by combining I think it was Ruby 7 and Star 2.0, I'd link it here for you but the render wasn't actually intended to look like Dolly Partin and so I have no ideal how to find it now.

And soon you will be able to mix in 3DU's Toon Generations 2 characters into the mix very easily. 

And the ever present freebies - you can get closer than you think if you are using Genesis 3 & mythcons morphs in combination. Mythcons freebie morphs are on sharecg.com. I got the toon character below by combining a FaceGen Artist Pro morph (which can do random faces internationally, not just faces from photos) with DAZ 3D Genesis 3 Head & Body Morphs & mythcons morph freebies.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,557

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm talking about. We can morph our figures well, but I'm asking if really extreme shapes can be utilized using geografted heads.

Did you not look at the mythcons morphs freebies? They are very extreme.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,557

I did download them and I thank you for mentioning them. However, that's not what I'm talking about here. Things like dragon heads, true anime or Disney-style heads, these things have not been done yet. That's why I'm just asking about geografted heads.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I did download them and I thank you for mentioning them. However, that's not what I'm talking about here. Things like dragon heads, true anime or Disney-style heads, these things have not been done yet. That's why I'm just asking about geografted heads.

Short answer...yes.  But the rigging is a pain...

oh, so really like even simpler geometries? And morphable to all those faces or as seperate geografts?

• A morph cannot rework the weight maps, which limits its usefulness. A GeoGraft can do anything, though as mjc notes it's a lot more work.

Expressions can, however, be worked around with a morph - the way a shapes like Aiko and the Girl do it is by having a correction morph that is slaved both to the expression and to the shape, so it comes in only to the extent needed.

A morph cannot rework the weight maps, which limits its usefulness. A GeoGraft can do anything, though as mjc notes it's a lot more work.

Expressions can, however, be worked around with a morph - the way a shapes like Aiko and the Girl do it is by having a correction morph that is slaved both to the expression and to the shape, so it comes in only to the extent needed.

Arms. legs, torso...geografts for those parts are prety easy, compared to working on a head replacement (adding parts...like horns isn't so bad).

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

I use geograft heads all the time!

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/King-s-GambitC-537015611

(hee)

That's cheating! cheeky

Cool render.

It's the more complex heads that are the real pain...lots of tweaking, fiddling with bones/weight maps and just time consuming fixing things.

• Yes, they are possible; there is a thread somewhere here on the forum where ghastlycomic shows one he did.