How to select all keyframes

Is there a way to select all keyframes without opening up every mother - child relation? If I want to move a character, I have to open every row. Otherwise the fingers for instance stay behind. I am not talking about NLA. For deleting all, I can use a Fenric tool, so that is not the problem. If selecting also the hidden keyframes is not possible, is there an option of "show all keyframes?"

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You dont have enough space to see all of the possible keyframes on a figure,.

The simple way to do what you want is to convert /move  all of the keyframe into an NLA clip ( Create NLA master clip )

Then you can place that clip on the track and move it wherever you want it,

Note that this action offers the option to delete all keyframes..

The MAIN reason for NLA is to allow the easy placement and repositioning of animation in the timline,.  ti can also allow you to combine different motions for different parts of you figure at different points in time.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

That is nice if you have finished the job. Then you create the NLA. But if you are in the creating process, it would be handy if you could select all. For instance slowing down parts. Or deleting mistakes. It could be done by for instance CTRL + click or drag for selecting everything beneath a certain bone.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

True - that might be nice. Fenric has Deep Select, but that only works on a single line of hierarchy, I think. 

I always just drag-select. Works great for me. I guess I do it so often that it never occurred to me to be a pain! LOL

There have been many situations where I've just created a dummy NLA clip simply to delete all of the keys in one swoop! ;)

Also, since Import aniBlock cannot be undone, I always add those somewhere other than on frame 0 - most often at the one second mark. This way I can preserve the pose I have at frame zero. Often times I end up deleting the aniBlock data from one or more joints so I can create my own animations for that (those) joint(s). So it's nice to have a clear area where the animation is applied. I'm working on some new articles on all of this as we speak.

I'm with Dart on the more you do animation the less of a pain adjusting keyframes and tweeners seems to be,.

also on deleting keyframes,.. create NLA ...it's the simplest route to delete all keys for that figure.

Puppeteer is also quite handy for creating as many (key-frame) poses as you like,. (click to create a pose dot,. which saves all bone positions and morphs)

then you can Click the dot,. to apply that to the figure wherever you need it in the timeline.

You can also save out a bunch of those poses as a puppeteer preset.

it's also possible to use puppeteer to record a "performance" as you drag the mouse over those pose dots,. but Carrara can become twitchy if you've got a fully dressed figure with hair etc,. it's best to work on a base figure for animation,. then apply that to the dressed figure.

3DAGE said:

I'm with Dart on the more you do animation the less of a pain adjusting keyframes and tweeners seems to be,.

also on deleting keyframes,.. create NLA ...it's the simplest route to delete all keys for that figure.

Puppeteer is also quite handy for creating as many (key-frame) poses as you like,. (click to create a pose dot,. which saves all bone positions and morphs)

then you can Click the dot,. to apply that to the figure wherever you need it in the timeline.

it's also possible to use puppeteer to record a "performance" as you drag the mouse over those pose dots,. but Carrara can become twitchy if you've got a fully dressed figure with hair etc,. it's best to work on a base figure for animation,. then apply that to the dressed figure.

Really? I have to try that! That might be a beautiful way to store poses.

I was creating all manner of poses as NLA Master Poses. But when I scroll to a position in time where I want to apply the pose, then use NLA > Load Data from Clip, it actually also uses the place along the timeline where the pose was created - no matter where we are when we load the data!

In other words, if I save the NLA pose on frame 30 (one second at 30fps), and then set my timeline to fram 120 and Load Data from Clip, the pose information will still load at frame 30 instead of where I have the timing set!

Puppeteer lets us apply any pose in its collection anywhere we want!

Thanks for mentioning that, 3DAGE!

3DAGE said:

That was not the question. I do not want to delete all keyframes. I want to select all keyframes for editing, including the ones not shown. I have to move a part of the key frames sometimes or extend so they slow down, but the ones not shown, are staying behind. If I move the upper arm, the fingers do not move if they are hidden. Puppeteer is no help for this either. I hoped there was a shortcut for selecting a bone and it's children, including the ones not shown. Not such a weird question.

I know now, it is not possible.

True - that might be nice. Fenric has Deep Select, but that only works on a single line of hierarchy, I think. 

I always just drag-select. Works great for me. I guess I do it so often that it never occurred to me to be a pain! LOL

That is the closests, but it is not enough. Thanks

I want to select all keyframes for editing, including the ones not shown.

Things which are Hidden cannot be selected or edited,. you NEED to expand your view to see all of the keyframes which you want to edit or move.

You can only edit the position or values of a keyframe which you can see, and select.  ...that makes sense to me.

If you're creating keyframe animation,. then it's part of the process that ANY key frame you create may need to be moved / repositioned for timing,. or the tweener type between keys may need to be altered,. or you may need to jump deeper into the "graph editor" to edit values for the specific X,Y,Z, axis tracks for some element of the figure,..

that's animation,.

you're in charge of where each key frame is created,  when it's created in the timeline, and what parts of the figure are keyframed.

Most of the time,. I'll work on the main limbs / upperbody  to get the general movement right,. then it should be a simple process to create some hand and finger keys.

unless you're applying poses,. which would be applying keys to all elements of the figure,.

Moving and adjusting keys, is part of the animation process,. 

expand the hand and finger tracks,. select the keys you want to adjust,.. and adjust them as needed. or just delete them all until you've finalised the main animation,. then set keys for the hands / fingers when you need them.

Just to add,.

If you convert you current keyframes into an NLA clip,. and select to delete the keys from the timeline,. (bear with me)

then select your figure,. go to the NLA tab,. and click "Load Clip Data" (to bring the keyframes back in)

in the dialogue box,. the default setting loads everything ,. BUT,. You can select what parts of the animation data to bring back as keyframes,. and what parts to exclude.

so if the hands/fingers are the problem,. just exclude those from the clip data loading in.

Hope that helps. and makes sense