Is Fusion still available for free?

So, my trusty G5 died an inglorious death, and I am getting a modern iMac. I'm on a borrowed computer right now, so my time is limited. I tried a google search, but came up with a couple things that could be what I'm wondering about, but am not sure because I don't have the time to research.

So, is Fusion still free? Am I thinking of a different program (I'm looking for a node based image or video f/x program?) Will it run on a Mac? What are the limitations and/or how is it hobbled (if at all?)

Comments

• Yep, it's still free, there are few limitations, not a show stoppers IMO, I love it, there is always Natron which is more like Nuke and completely free, still in very fast developement, one day when is mature enough I'll switch, for now I'm very happy with it smiley

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/compare

https://natron.fr/features/

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Hello EP, according to the Compare versions the basic Fusion 8 is free.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/compare

At the bottom of the features page it mentions a download which includes Mac OS X

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/features

The compare page also shows what it can do.

Hope those links help.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Here are some playlists I've made on YouTube for getting going in Fusion

Fusion Lessons by Eric Westphal of Eyeon Software (owned Fusion before BlackmagicDesign got it)

Fantastic. Eric totally rocks and has some awesome skills with this software!

Fusion 5 Tutorials (called Courseware) by Eyeon Software 

Also excellent. Not quite as in-depth as above, and for an older version, but is still excellent

10 Reasons You Need Fusion

This is really cool. Kind of promoting the software by showing how to use it to do cool stuff. All of these Eyeon-made tutorials are really very good.

Although still made by Eyeon (BlackmagicDesign still hasn't really done anything for Fusion tutorials that I've seen - I haven't looked in a while though) this series is really fairly current - made for version 7, which was the last version owned by Eyeon. 

I'm not sure about this, but the actual developer (from Australia) of Fusion was in Eyeon software (?) and now is also with BlackmagicDesign... so I think it's still in good hands.

I really don't know much about the history of it. It is very powerful - I do know that. If I ever outgrow the free version, I hope I'd be able to cough up a grand for the studio version. I use other tools besides Fusion (barely use Fusion now) so the free version should last me a good long while.

Here is a really cool video of Blackmagic Design demo of Fusion live - Visual Effects supervisor with 20 years of production experience, Rony Soussan introduces us to Fusion 8 by showing us how to turn a 2D cityscape into a 3D cityscape and more

Taped live at the May 2016 lacpug Meet.
    Fusion 8 is the world’s most advanced compositing software for visual effects artists, broadcast and motion graphic designers and 3D animators. Hosted by Michael Horton

Oh... and:

Hi evilproducer! Long time no see!

Miss ya Brutha from anutha!

Do you wanna get together and build a snowman?

• Hey guys, thanks for all the info. As soon as I have my new computer I will be looking into it!

• Oh... and:

Hi evilproducer! Long time no see!

Miss ya Brutha from anutha!

Do you wanna get together and build a snowman?

Hey Dart, send me an e-mail to my gmail address please! I don't have access to my HD in the broken box until I get an external case for it, so no e-mail addresses!

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. As soon as I have my new computer I will be looking into it!

You're gonna love it!

Do yourself a favor and watch that first playlist I linked to above. Eric will get you up and running on the right foot! ;)

• Thanks Dart. I will bookmark the thread, and probably DL the software, but now my directorial duties are kicking into overdrive especially with the delay of wrecking my truck, and my computer dying.

Sucks when stuff all falls like dominos, and then worse crap piles itself on as we try and work our way out.

Feelin' ya Bro!

FYI, jonstark has found that we can get killer deals on workstations of yesteryear on Ebay, and since then I've seen how these deals are not just on Ebay!

We've been looking at dual CPU HP Z600 and Z800 workstations among others, and finding them for $500 and less! 

Here's the thread, if you're interested.

As soon as I can, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. An HP Z600 or Z800 with dual Xeon cpu will be mine!

• I have the computer, now all I need is time!

Don't go lookin' over here. Mine's all gone all the time!