Cyclopstrich 2 Questions on Morphs and Rigging in Studio

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited January 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Here is a freebie Carrara figure.  Kind of silly, but you get what you pay for.  wink

EDIT:  Discovered a few stray polygons in the beak area.  Should be fixed now.  Zip replaced.

This will be the mount for the cavalry in my upcoming Carrara challenge 30 entry.  Feel free to use in any way you wish. 

See attached zip file

tt98 apply checker shader.jpg
800 x 600 - 26K
OstrichFreebie.jpg
640 x 480 - 15K
zip
zip
Cyclostritch Update.zip
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

LOL Thank you! He's adorable! Does he eat much? 

• heart thankyou

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Looks like a fun character.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So cute lol!  Thank you!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

lol,

tnx a bunch for the critter!, and a healthy healthy healthy new year to you all. (If you have health, you can work on the happy/prosperous details at your leisure!)

best wishes and thanks to all for a great 3D year! Y'all rock!

--ms

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

can also double as a Cyclopstemu...

thanks and Merry Christmas... smiley

• I read cyclop stem u cheeky and thought WTF?

CyclopsEmu ahhhhhh laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow! Christmas just keeps giving, and giving!

Thank you diomede!!!

Merry Christmas!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Hey gang, sorry.  I discovered a few stray polygons in the beak.  Should be fixed now.  I have replaced the zip file with an update.

...and right on Christmas Day, too! Thanks Santa! :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

...and right on Christmas Day, too! Thanks Santa! :)

Mmm. yum. The rigging tasted a bit stringy though . . .! wink Seriously though, it's awesome - thanks Diomede. 

Easter eggs'll be in the shops tomorrow . . .

Will be making a saddle and harness soon if anyone is interested.  I think parenting will be better than attaching to skeleton, but open to suggestions.

diomede said:

Will be making a saddle and harness soon if anyone is interested.  I think parenting will be better than attaching to skeleton, but open to suggestions.

Another challenge to overcome! Sweet! Can't wait to see how you tackle that one!

edited January 2017

Hmmm.  Trying to make a conforming saddle and harness for the cyclopstritch.  Should match.  I literally copied the mesh to begin the harness.  And, I copied the bones (plus an extra beyond each) for the skeleton.  When I attach the harness mesh to the harness bones and use "fit to" in order to conform to the cyclopstritch, the mesh of the harness crumples.

Does "fit to" work wth custom Carrara figures?  Is there a tutorial somewhere?  Seems like it should work. 

I realize that I could simply add the harness to the mesh in the same bone structure, but that usually requires redoing the weightmaps.  Would like to avoid that.

dd01 cyclopstritch harness animation group core bones match.JPG
    1602 x 986 - 201K
    dd02 fit to bad results.JPG
    1390 x 975 - 173K
    dd03 saddle model and rig.JPG
    1670 x 951 - 177K

I can confirm that attaching both the cyclopstritch mesh and the harness mesh to the same bones works.  Still curious about creating items that use the "fi to" function instead of attaching to the same skeleton, if anyone knows.

dd04 all attach to same skeleton works.JPG
    1458 x 1014 - 186K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Such a cute creature! Diomede, I've not any experience yet of conforming my own pieces of clothes or any similar stuff to my figures, but if so I will share with you.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Fit to ,. requires the same skeleton,. that's how conforming clothing works.

the bone names in the clothing are matched to follow the bones in the figure.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, 3DAGE! I will keep it in mind when approach this task.

Thanks.  In this case, everything should be the same.

diomede said:

Should match.  I literally copied the mesh to begin the harness.  And, I copied the bones (plus an extra beyond each) for the skeleton. 

Have the revised cyclopstritch with wings.  Preparing to rig in Studio.

Have named the polygon groups.  Exported as an obj with the morphs and skinning option checked.  I loaded in Studio but I can't find the morphs to open and close the eyes, etc. 

Am I doing something wrong?

gg02 cyclopstritch 2 pic.JPG
    1492 x 863 - 138K
    gg01 load cyclopstritch in studio but no morphs.JPG
    1840 x 906 - 166K
    edited January 2017

Trying to follow the rigging instructions but the menu never appears.  The instructions say to select all of the bones in the hierarchy then right click in the pane to bring up a menu of weightmapping options.  I have tried but no menu appears.

hh01 rigging instructions weightmap menu never appears where says see illus 9.JPG
    1008 x 929 - 164K
    hh02 studio screenshot.JPG
    1257 x 901 - 135K
    diomede said:

Have the revised cyclopstritch with wings.  Preparing to rig in Studio.

Have named the polygon groups.  Exported as an obj with the morphs and skinning option checked.  I loaded in Studio but I can't find the morphs to open and close the eyes, etc. 

Am I doing something wrong?

The normal way to add morphs to a figure in Daz Studio is by importing a new obj of the shape change and using morph loader pro to add the obj information to the figure. Yeah... PITA compared to just adding them directly in Carrara, but....

diomede said:

Trying to follow the rigging instructions but the menu never appears.  The instructions say to select all of the bones in the hierarchy then right click in the pane to bring up a menu of weightmapping options.  I have tried but no menu appears.

Make sure you're in Edit Mode

Just trying to help. I've never made my own rigged figure like this. But I think we have to be in weight map edit mode. You should see options for painting and manipulating weight maps. Wow... It's been a while since I've played in DS.

Thanks, Dart.  Unfortunately, the menu for the options is not appearing when I follow the directions in that Daz wiki

Putting this older video for general weightmap instead of triax here for further reference.  Older version of Daz, I think.

https://youtu.be/FOKTIW7anH8

another resource to add

Makes sense to link to Rob's channel because it has multiple videos for figure setup

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSBsiYvJ9hFzW5_Y6ndCtkA

edited January 2017

Found it!

As usual, there was a very small step that I had forgotten because I hadn't used the figure setup tools in a while.  I had the pane that contains the joint editor open, but I didn't have it set to the joint editor.  Instead, I had it set to the manipulater tool by default.  It is amazing how easily I forget these simple steps if I haven't used something in a while.  I had to go back through Blondie9999's gingerman tutorial more than once to figure out which step I was missing.  It may be just becase I am more used to it, but I find Carrara's figure setup system much more straightforward. 

hh04 setup step.jpg
    800 x 500 - 120K