What are the benefits of genesis in Carrara?

2»

Comments

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

I think Daz missed out on a great opportunity when designing Tri-Ax rigging. They really should have taken that opportunity to get away from the laborious Poser group system and done what every other application, including Carrara does, to simply draw in bones.

What do you mean with bones? Studio uses bones too, but I don't know if those are the ones you mean though (see pic).
    As for the grouping, it happens automatically now (at least for clothing, haven't tried other things)

But complex models still gonna take a lot of time and effort :D

Capture.JPG
    736 x 811 - 48K
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 2012

Roygee said:
    I think Daz missed out on a great opportunity when designing Tri-Ax rigging. They really should have taken that opportunity to get away from the laborious Poser group system and done what every other application, including Carrara does, to simply draw in bones.

I believe you're mistaken. TriAx is much like the native rigging in Carrara and other 3D apps. AFAIK the only major difference may be that in TriAx there can be separate weight maps for each axis. I really don't know whether the other apps support this, but probably at least the big boys do (and they can do much more of course). Genesis does have vertex groups but they are not separate pieces like they are in Poser's old style of rigging.
    Post edited by araneldon on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

As I said, I've done quite a few original figures and clothing items. In Carrara and other apps, you draw in bones. In DS - with both the legacy FST and the new CCT, you have to first define groups then generate bones to match. The only difference is that with the pre-Tri-Ax method you actually cut up the mesh into groups in a modelling application or used AutoGroup or similar. With the CCT you can define the groups within DS without cutting the mesh up. It's the defining the groups that takes the time and effort - the selection methods are pretty tedious.

In Carrara, you draw in the bones and it makes a pretty good guess at which verts are influenced by a particular bone, then you fine-tune using weight-mapping. This is the direction I feel Daz should have taken with Tri-Ax.

As I said, it is well worth the effort precisely because with Tri-Ax you can define different influences and fall-offs for each axis, making for more customized deformations.

With simple clothing it is a matter of seconds to fit - as long as you have modeled it on the generic Genesis figure. Model it on a morphed figure, such as the female or child and things get pretty complex. Add things like epaulets to the clothing item and it becomes a real pain.

Still a vast improvement on Carrara rigging and I'm really wishing that the system will be brought into Carrara...and the bones made into solids, like every other application, instead of those dotted lines:)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I would think the dotted line issue would be the easiest to implement as it seems to be a UI issue and wouldn't effect the behavior of the bones. Have you put in a feature request?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Feature request put in ages ago at the specific request of Daz_Spooky - maybe time to dust it off and repeat?

It is simply a display issue and according to Fenric, easier to implement than the dotted lines:)