Skamotion Tutorials for Poser

skamotionskamotion Posts: 86
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hello All and Happy holidays,

Here's a couple of tutorials I've created for for animators who use poser. These are in response to our products but we'll also be showing people how to animate in poser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI4iBwyrerg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BenT9h2qwk0

If anyone has any specific questions about how to animate in poser, please let us know

All the best

SKA

Comments

• edited December 1969

Very well done intro videos. If you do some more advanced tutorials for a fee, I'm interested.

I'm curious that your products seem to have keyframes for every frame. Does the lack of bezier curves in Poser necessitate that? I found it difficult to eliminate overshoot with interpolation between frames so I end up with more keyframes than I like.

• skamotionskamotion Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Very well done intro videos. If you do some more advanced tutorials for a fee, I'm interested.

I'm curious that your products seem to have keyframes for every frame. Does the lack of bezier curves in Poser necessitate that? I found it difficult to eliminate overshoot with interpolation between frames so I end up with more keyframes than I like.

Thanks Five cat,

I can do some more advanced tutorials if you like. I'm planning on starting with bouncing ball and then moving into more advanced walks and acting etc sometime in the future.

Yes the reason for "baking" the animation on every frame for some parts of the rig is because firstly there are no "tangent handles" on the key in the graph editor ( poser is very simple which has it's good point and it's frustrating points ) and secondly I want the integrity of the animation to stay intact so that it's less like for the animation to break when adding other clips to it.

I clean up all the channels that don't need to have the animation baked so that people can add their own animation. Expression, and body morph size alterations.

All the best

SKA

• edited December 1969

Good point about keeping the integrity of your animation, as adding frames can affect the previous frames, and many a beginner has had that happen and wondered what went wrong. I'm also wondering if there is an easy way to move a quadruped forward in a walk cycle, like you show for your biped walk. I've found it difficult to eliminate the sliding with four feet, and you do it perfectly with two.

I really appreciate the tutorials and I think you have a real talent for making animation look less frightening.

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    I'm also wondering if there is an easy way to move a quadruped forward in a walk cycle, like you show for your biped walk. I've found it difficult to eliminate the sliding with four feet, and you do it perfectly with two.

I really appreciate the tutorials and I think you have a real talent for making animation look less frightening.

Thanks for that. I handle Quads the same way. The trick is to animate your character walking forward normally 2 steps. Then "Zero Out" the walk so it's walking on the stop.

To do this. have a look at how far the hips have moved forward during the 2 steps. For example the Victoria walk moved forward 6.059 feet.

Select the "body" or top node in the hierarchy and have that animate backwards from 0 to -6.059 over the course of the 2 steps. (Set That to linear) This will make your character look like it's walk on the spot.

Load another character and apply the same animation onto new character (BUT delete the backwards animation from the BODY node) and now with both characters in your scene Rotoscope the just the hips and feet onto the new character.

Now you have your new character walking on the spot.

If you want your character to walk forward, simply apply the "forward "value onto the "body". In my case it was 6.059 but it's different for every walk

here's an example of a quad walk I did that way
    http://skamotion.com/dragon.php

I hope that helps

Cheers

SKA

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

you really do animation in poser? :lol:
    think about all the time you lost with creating simple animation.

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on
  • nahnah Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hello Ska,
    I'm interested in your product for V4.2 catwalk. But I work mostly with genesis. I think it's not compatible in DAZ, but perhaps in Poser using DSON Importer ?
    Thanks

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Thanx for bumping this thread up , nah, as I somehow overlooked it... :)

edited December 1969

nah said:
    Hello Ska,
    I'm interested in your product for V4.2 catwalk. But I work mostly with genesis. I think it's not compatible in DAZ, but perhaps in Poser using DSON Importer ?
    Thanks

Hello there,

No animation or unblocks created for v4.2 will work for the new Genesis range correctly. Genesis has a different rig than before. I feel though that all the changes that Daz have done to the Genesis rig are brilliant and this is what Victoria should have looked like back in Version 1. So change is good people, it means that now going forward, Victoria will be easier to use, more intuitive and hopefully easier to create assets for.

All the best

SKA