65mm Default Perspective View

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When you first open DAZ Studio, you're looking through a 65mm lens. I know this because when I creare a camera to match the Perspective view, that's what it gives me.

Now: Anyone who's ever read anything about portrait photography knows that 100mm (= or - 10mm) is the standard. And since this a character rendering/animation suite... wouldn't 100mm have been a better choice for focal length? Or is there a reason 65mm was better?

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

It's fairly simple. A 65mm lens is a reasonable default choice for general scenes, especially a full-length figure, room or environment. Very few people start out with a portrait.

My gripe with DS 4.5 isn't the default camera, but the framing. Try framing a room or house with it. The space around it is vast, forcing you to zoom back in to frame it properly. (Prolly the same for a figure, but I've never opened a figure in 4.5, so I can't say).

mac

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,165
    edited December 1969

I think frame takes the longest dimension, based on the bounding box, and moves the camera far enough back to frame that - unless you happen to be facing the long dimension that does give a lot of waste space.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I think frame takes the longest dimension, based on the bounding box, and moves the camera far enough back to frame that

Looks like it actually frames the longest dimension of the selected object's bounding box inside the shortest dimension of the Viewport.
    Which, yes, can mean your camera POV going waytheheck over thataway. Try to avoid framing an end-on long object in a wide-screen viewport.
    edited December 1969

My Active Viewport is almost square. Here's a square room prop framed in it.

mac

1.jpg
    600 x 338 - 28K
    edited December 2012

Here's the same prop and framing in DS 3.

mac

vv106.jpg
    600 x 338 - 35K
    Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 1969

On the subject of DS 4.5 and it's peculiarities, does anyone else have ridiculously fast scrolling in the content library? When I use the mouse wheel to scroll, it goes so fast, it shoots from the top to the bottom of a library with one flick. It's absolutely uncontrollable, and my mouse wheel isn't souped up or anything. It's so bad that I've given up. I have to use the scroll bar instead.

Luckily, I rarely open 4.5 so it's not a huge issue. But that's yet another reason I can't stand the program.

mac

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The Scroll Wheel on my mouse works really well in the CL pane. I really like it (sorry :) )

I just have a bog standard mouse that came with my Dell, but I have not noticed any problems with 4.5 when using it. I must say, I really hated DS4 when it first appeared, now that there have been a few incarnations of it, I have it the way I want it, and I hate the look of DS3 now on the odd occasion that I open it.

Have a nice Holiday mac, best wishes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,165
    edited December 1969

I haven't had any issues with scrolling, other than the iSkid that carries it a step on after I release the mouse (grrr).

It looks as if DS3 did what we thought, and DS 4 is adding extra padding. Oddly, I haven't really noticed that as an issue butt hat may just be the content I've used recently.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

My DS4 scrolls like a smart phone which is not what I like. I much prefered the DS3 scrolling.

As for speed, I cannot repeat Mac's issue unless I hold down the shift key.

As for perspective, first I suggest that the viewport frame be used and any created camera can have its focal length adjusted.

Poser's default focal length if I recall is 55mm and DS is 65mm.

edited December 2012

I just checked and counted the number of files a typical scroll moves down for me - 20. My content library is 4 files wide and the lightest touch of the mouse wheel I can manage sends it down by 20 - 24 files (5-6 rows of 4). If I try harder, I can go to the bottom of a library of 100+ files with one good flick. DS 3 doesn't have this issue at all.

As for camera focal length, there's nothing you can tell me about that I don't already know. I was a fashion photographer for 20 years before taking this up. When I do product renders, I always use a created cam and set the focal length I need. But for everything else, I don't need a specific camera. I'm generally just checking things work in DS 4.5. It's just annoying to be continually zooming back in on every object I load.

mac

Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 1969

Have a nice Holiday mac, best wishes.

Thanks, and the same to you. And everyone else, of course!

mac

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

What would be nice is to be able to set the parameters for the perspective view... just my opinion.

Merry Christmas, everyone

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I wish the mouse wheel zoom was exponential or something. It's always a pain zooming in on really large/faraway framed objects.

@mac, you can change how many lines the scroll wheel scrolls at one time if you don't like the default, or if somehow the default got changed. In Windows XP, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel tab.

screenshot,_mouse_wheel.png
    465 x 335 - 33K
    edited December 1969

Oh sure, I know how to set the wheel scroll option. The problem is it's a global setting, so if I reduce it, DS 3 becomes painfully slow to scroll.

mac