Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Steve,  nice animation and story. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

heh. eagerly waiting for the sequel!

cheers,

--ms

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Very nice! eah... the Victorian Manor House!!! Sweet!

I really love the intro/outro toon rocket effect with the smoke trail. Was that done in Carrara or a titler software or something?

I feel compelled to try an effect like that using Carrara's particle emitter. Is that what you used?

Asking the same question too many times... sorry!

Yes. I really love how you can so heartily grasp the importance of imagination in a child like that. I've seen you pull this off before - very well.

Is that really Flash Gordon's ship? It's been a while for me ;)

mindsong said:

heh. eagerly waiting for the sequel!

cheers,

--ms

Me Too!!!

Ditto on that smoke! It almost has an organic bio-like substance to it that could also be used in very different contexts (thinking of the 'incredibles' scene where he's engulfed in those expanding foamish blobs in syndrome's island)

cool material/effect!

--ms

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

yesyes

Steve, you are inspirational.  Thanks.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Many thanks for all the nice comments.

" ... the intro/outro toon rocket effect with the smoke trail. Was that done in Carrara or a titler software or something?"

It is all Particle Illusion - the rocket, the smoke trail, and the background vector space debris.  (Remember Atari's "Asteroids"?  1979, sheeesh ...)  It's a 2D FX program, but I find it very easy to work with, and it renders in essentially real time (really), a great advantage in the 48 Hour Film Contests.

"Is that really Flash Gordon's ship?"

I dunno, its from Cybertenko, a great modeller at Renderosity, and was the inspiration for the whole project.  Along with a particular Calvin & Hobbes strip.

" ... eagerly waiting for the sequel!"

Uh-oh, now I'm in a bind.  An alien city in the distance is one thing, but a whole story could be tough ... 

lol - and... *that*, my friend, is also my curse. Too many possible vectors for an overactive imagination!

not a bad problem to have, I suppose, but not enough render cycles in the universe.

cheers,

--ms

Thanks Steve!

I'm a Cybertenko fan/collector myself! ;)

Thanks Steve!

I'm a Cybertenko fan/collector myself! ;)

His style matches my interest in Steampunk and related.  I've got 50 of his (her?) products, most of which inspire some short animation or part of one.  An example is the Point Nemo Lighthouse, which I used in a short animation "Dreamscapes" (screen grab attached).  Very nice models.

Point Nemo.jpg
    832 x 658 - 103K

mindsong said:

lol - and... *that*, my friend, is also my curse. Too many possible vectors for an overactive imagination!

not a bad problem to have, I suppose, but not enough render cycles in the universe.

cheers,

Indeed.  I have to retell my story about Rod Serling, the great "Twilight Zone" creator.  A friend was at his home when the mail came, a big batch since he was pretty famous.  The friend says Serling threw most of it on the table, but took one and sat down to read it.  It was an offer from an airline cockpit simulator company (a full size simulator, this is in the 50's).  The planes were no longer flying, so the simulator was for sale or rent.  Serling thought for a while, then called his brother who was an airline pilot.  He asked what would happen if an airliner flew way faster than the speed of sound - in a huge jet stream.  His brother didn't know, but Serling had an idea.  One thing led to another, the result was "The Odyssey of Flight 33".  It was a great epidode of "The Twilight Zone", using the rented simulator, and partly because the pilot brother and his buddies wrote a lot of the convincing airline dialogue (after Serling provided the beer).  And THAT is how one gets inspired ... by a great model.  Analog or digital.

I agree entirely!

edited January 2017

"Indeed.  I have to retell my story about Rod Serling, " ...

way cool story. Maybe a twilight zone of sorts in our respective futures, eh?

I see stories unfold on most product pages (even some of the skimpwear ones, I suppose... :^) and think... "Oh yeah, I could so use that for a scene where the hero does..."

sigh (grin),

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

A favorite story about inspiration is Mark Knopfler's explanation of "Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits - peaking at number 1 for three weeks in the United States):

"The lead character in 'Money for Nothing' is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/​custom kitchen/​refrigerator/​microwave appliance store. He's singing the song.  I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real ... "

I picture him hiding behind a washing machine, trying to scribble the words on the piece of paper held against the back of the machine.  laugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

That's really good stuff!!! yes