Research project (Done in Carrara)

Dear friends of Carrara, before we all become too busy with the new year, I want to make a request. I am currently working on my doctoral research and will really appreciate it if you would be able to help with the research (especially the film boffins). My research focuses on acting styles and how it affects the various players. Basically you just need to choose to look at one of 5 short films (3 minutes) and then tick on a questionnaire your impression of the actors’ acting. In total it takes no longer than 6 minutes to do everything. The link to the study:

https://sites.google.com/view/uncannyresearch

The films were animated and rendered in Carrara 8.1. Compositing and Editing in Adobe AFX and Premiere CC.

I will be very grateful.

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited January 2017

Hello,

I just watched film 1, and filled out the survey. Nicely done! If we watch them all, would you like us to do surveys for each?

Given this survey should probably be about first impressions, and without external influences/biasing, I hesitate to comment further here, but within this community, the topic you are researching is of keen interest and would be a great topic for conversation and comment. Ways of dealing with the uncanny-valley issue is a huge topic of interest and experimentation for most of us!

Can I recommend that you create an after-viewing forum entry, where the folks that have seen the film(s) can discuss the films and survey after we have seen the films, and possibly see the results of your research when completed?

I would even expect that the conversation and comments here would really compliment your research, given the caliber of people here, and their involvement in this topic/mechanism. I wanted to qualify some of my survey answers but had no venue in the survey.

This is really neat, and it would be powerful stuff to discuss without biasing the folks that haven't yet seen it!

You could create a new forum post, then edit your original post and request that post-viewing conversations be posted there with the link to the 'other' topic in that request.

cheers, and again - very cool. I'm gonna go watch the other ones...

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Sorry I didn't get a chance to do this yet. I had a drum gig today and tomorrow I have Christmas with my Children. Final Christmas (that I'm aware of) for the year.

So if I don't get them done tomorrow, I'll be back on Sunday - but I have been interested in checking this out since you've posted... just haven't had an open window of time yet!

Rock on, though! Can't wait to see them!

• Thank you mindsong - I really appreciate the advice and comment. I will definately post the outcome of the research here. For the research to be succesfull I need around 80 partcipants per film. 400 in total - the sooner that number is reached, the sooner I can do the stats and present it. Hopefully I will be able to plot it on Mori's graph and see how the acting influence the Uncanny Valley. Thank you for participating!