ST "Planet Killer" from THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE ep.

Vendors,

Many a sci-fi fan recall the "Planet Killer" machine from the classic Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine". I feel that would make a great 3d model prop, only this time utilize the properties of 3d modeling to create a unique model project. Allow it to be morphable, re-scaleable, and divided up into "unit hulls" that can be parented together. Literally a "virtual kitbash model". Best to style the "unit hulls"  for their correct shape (especially "the Maw" of the machine) after the dimensional model imagery from the original filmed episode --not the digitally enhanced spfx episode.  And then to give it surface details through morphing controls, that add peaks or portholes through the Maw module hull where energies could seep out to trail along side the machine body.   

Comments

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300

There is a free one out there - I have it in my runtime but I am at work at the moment.

There is a grey area where PA's might not want to touch making copies of things from TV and Film and risk being sued...

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

See this list here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/491/ - The Doomsday machine is near the bottom of the Federations list, just 3 links before the Klingon list

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

This may not have the various features you wish, but it's free and I used screen shots to try capturing it's distinctive dimensions.  (The shot when it suffers the Constellation's explosion served as my template.)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/73823/browse/11/Poser/Doomsday-Machine

Sincerely,

Bill

• MaxC28MaxC28 Posts: 18

Redfern,

Sorry for the late response but glad you did. However I have Daz Studio and not Poser. Had a thought though if you had a fix for that. This is your model isn't it? Its a great likeness.

MaxC 

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

Hi, MaxC,

I thought Studio was able to import Poser based prop files (.PP2).

The surfacing is primarily texture based, but I did use a few Poser based shader "nodes" which of course Studio won't recognise.  You'll have to invent your own creative specularity effects.

But, if it just won't import at all, I can provide a base .OBJ files that almost every 3D suite can "read".  Just let me know.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

Hi, MaxC,

I thought Studio was able to import Poser based prop files (.PP2).

Yes. If there are .pmd morphs they may be a problem, and as you note the shader tree will be ignored, but the basic prop should load with the Poser 4 style material settings.