Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

That's cool! ...did you use terrains from the Terrain Sampler for that? Looks familiar.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Did this one more as an idea than a finished render...

Nice concept and composition! Did you use IL for the rocks all around the sculpture ?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@ TLBKlaus: No, the negative terrains used to make the cutaway sections of the block use Alpine Valleys fractal as a base and the muck on the floor is partly made from a terrain I brushed myself using one of the rough custom brushes as a base.

@ MrSilus: No, I just created a sphere and then used random replicate (do that away from the scene). Then make all the spheres really small and land them using the down arrow. Then change them all into stones and use the randomiser set to 2D Disperse/Size. then raise them off the ground and move them over the scene and hit the land button again so that they didn't sink into the bits where they were fell on the terrain. I think in this instance, the stones came out looking too round which is ironic because whenever you want a round stone, it usually randomises a blocky looking one.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Just reflecting on some things...replicants, in this case :)

Title: "Nexus 6"

nexus-6.jpg
    1500 x 1266 - 819K
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited March 2013

^^That's sort of Andy Warhol meets Bryce... :D

As for the question of the setups I use for abstracts, here are 5 from the "Simplicity" series,
    which are all made from a few spheres, usually 3-5, inside another one and a couple of
    lights. The colors come from the lights and from making the outer sphere shadowless to
    let the colors in from the sky. You can get amazing results by fiddling with camera angles
    and having a reflection depth of 12-18... some of them are simply from looking at the reflection
    in the outer walls, not even at the spheres themselves.... as always there was some contrast
    and saturation work in post-production.

You can see the rest of the Simplicity series here: http://tlbklaus.deviantart.com/gallery/11012277

simplicity6dev.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
    simplicity28dev.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    simplicity38dev.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    simplicity60wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    simplicity51wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 2M
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    Very cool... Glad to help! :D Needs a little more antialiasing, but I like the springlike colors.

I had fun doing this tutorial and looking forward to doing the others on your DA site. Thanks for sharing.

MrSilus said:
    These abstracts are based on TLBKlaus Reflective Abstract Tutorial. Thanks for this tutorial.

I like it! It's weird, but at the same time nice to visualize! :)
    But please try not to compress the images too much when you save them as jpeg, There are too many compression artifacts.

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean about the compression? I normally use the Save Image As option..... Jpeg the compression is set to low quality.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: The ring and Buddha images are really great, the sculptor image is something else. Nice job.

@Tapioca: A really nice image that warrants inspection because of it's dark lighting. Really nice.

@mermaid: Wow, nice work. Love your choice of colors.

@Jay: Self portrait?:lol: Of the four I really like the look of the bottom left because of the eyes. Well done.

@TLBKlaus: Gorgeous abstracts. It's always amazing the range of tones obtained with abstracts.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,527
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice pastel colours.

@Dave - that stonemason with the hammer and chisel has set himself quite a task.

@Jay - interesting experiments with reflection.

@TLBKlaus - the possibilities to create abstracts in Bryce are infinite. It is fascinating doing them and the results can be very pleasing - in this series I like the last one best.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean about the compression? I normally use the Save Image As option..... Jpeg the compression is set to low quality.

Since you are using low quality. jpeg will compress the most (making the file size very small), but quality will be very low, which increases compression artifacts in the image (compression artifacts cause loss of detail basically).
    You should set quality to high to mitigate the effects of compression.

edited December 1969

See examples below.
    First pic is set at Quality 100 (file size 413k), second is set at quality 0 (file size 19k).
    I used the two extremes to exaggerate the difference it makes.

Really if you're posting pictures that are no more than 1000px wide, you can easily use quality set at 100.
    I usually use the file size indicator to determine how much compression to add, though nowadays even that consideration is slightly redundant as one would struggle to reach the forum's maximum allowed attachment size.

I suppose I ought to explain that this render was done in response to a comment someone made in the 'Dalek appreciation' thread up in the Commons section. :-)

DalekLooLow.jpg
    600 x 650 - 21K
    DalekLoo.jpg
    600 x 650 - 425K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - when you save your artwork in Bryce, make sure you save it as BMP, not as JPG. Your labour should be saved in the best quality - it's worth the HD space - and for publishing, convert to JPG with an external program that permits to adjust the percentage of compression (I use the old PhotoImpact 4) and see how the image degenerates when setting quality lower. Settings like high, medium and low are not very helpful.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Thesavage64.

Just wondered if it's possible to land rocks correctly on an uneven terrain.

When they are above the terrain I select them all and click the down arrow but it doesn't work properly.
    Some of them go through the terrain and others are hovering above.
    I end up placing every one at the correct position / height by hand.
    I tried landing them away from the terrain first and then raising them above the terrain
    and landing them.
    Is it possible, can Bryce detect the uneven terrain and place them correctly on it instead of in it.

This is what happens.

Rocks.jpg
    500 x 375 - 197K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

New tutorial... finally rendered (grr... Camtasia 8) off to pick up some timber now...

Bryce 10 minute scene - Woven Cube - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Wovencube3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 128K
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @Thesavage64.

When they are above the terrain I select them all and click the down arrow but it doesn't work properly.
    I tried landing them away from the terrain first and then raising them above the terrain
    and landing them.
    Is it possible, can Bryce detect the uneven terrain and place them correctly on it instead of in it.

This is what happens.

It should work fine Stuart.
    The main thing to check it to make sure the rocks aren't grouped though I'm sure that in the past I too have sometimes encountered situations where the 'land object' arrow made the object pass through other objects instead of landing on them... I never figured out what was causing it.

If your rocks aren't grouped, then the other thing I'd try is to make them all really really small while they are floating above the terrain, then land them and then make them the correct size and manually lift them to the correct height (maybe so they remain slightly buried) together, doing it that way should mean that the individual rocks keep to the contour of the terrain.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Hello,

Long time no see. When I saw David Brinnen's bathroom scene from page 87: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14050/P1290/#277534 that tested Bryce and Octane interior rendering abilities I thought that I take the challenge to bring Bryce one much closer to what Octane can do. David allowed me to do so and shared with me the scene. I'm curious to hear if I succeeded with this one or not.

Here is the first test. The things that's been tweaked include:
    - balance sun strength with ibl lighting
    - tweak of materials so that total of diffuse + reflection + refraction is 100% max - mostly 90%
    - giving some diffuse materials slight reflection (wall) and some reflective some diffuse (chrome)
    - lowering bump slightly
    - gamma correction on - as I always use it and it's imho vital for interior renders if you don't want to use fills
    - TA + Boost light on (36 samples only for quicker test render leading to noise)
    - TIR at least 2 (here 3) improving considerably look of glass
    - blurry reflection improving look of chrome and ceramic tiles

Mind you that Octane like most unbiased renders do some postpro by default, behind the users backs (in the camera settings - page 107-108 of manual http://render.otoy.com/downloads/OctaneRenderUserManual.pdf ) I wanted to take that into account so I postprocessed the render (in this order) with GIMP:
    - slight noise removal
    - further upping gamma curve to reach 2.2 (only value channel to keep the saturation)
    - glow/aperture shape - so that the strong light reflections show star shaped highlights
    - vignetting - darker edges
    - chromatic aberration (not seeing it present on the original)
    - colour correction via curves (in unbiased renders there are several camera curves present)

02.png
    1300 x 500 - 1M
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @Thesavage64.

and landing them.

This is what happens.

use the ( ALt ) key ( hold it down when place them in ( I ) lab ) to land on terrain

edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    Hello,

Long time no see. When I saw David Brinnen's bathroom scene from page 87: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14050/P1290/#277534 that tested Bryce and Octane interior rendering abilities I thought that I take the challenge to bring Bryce one much closer to what Octane can do. David allowed me to do so and shared with me the scene. I'm curious to hear if I succeeded with this one or not.

Here is the first test. The things that's been tweaked include:
    - balance sun strength with ibl lighting
    - tweak of materials so that total of diffuse + reflection + refraction is 100% max - mostly 90%
    - giving some diffuse materials slight reflection (wall) and some reflective some diffuse (chrome)
    - lowering bump slightly
    - gamma correction on - as I always use it and it's imho vital for interior renders if you don't want to use fills
    - TA + Boost light on (36 samples only for quicker test render leading to noise)
    - TIR at least 2 (here 3) improving considerably look of glass
    - blurry reflection improving look of chrome and ceramic tiles

Mind you that Octane like most unbiased renders do some postpro by default, behind the users backs (in the camera settings - page 107-108 of manual http://render.otoy.com/downloads/OctaneRenderUserManual.pdf ) I wanted to take that into account so I postprocessed the render (in this order) with GIMP:
    - slight noise removal
    - further upping gamma curve to reach 2.2 (only value channel to keep the saturation)
    - glow/aperture shape - so that the strong light reflections show star shaped highlights
    - vignetting - darker edges
    - chromatic aberration (not seeing it present on the original)
    - colour correction via curves (in unbiased renders there are several camera curves present)

Impressive, very impressive, I'd say it seems rather labour intensive, but at the same time, I'm aware it's not long since I sent you the email, so I guess, so this just confirms what we already knew - you are very clever indeed!

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Impressive, very impressive, I'd say it seems rather labour intensive, but at the same time, I'm aware it's not long since I sent you the email, so I guess, so this just confirms what we already knew - you are very clever indeed!

Thanks! It's your merit as well (properly set up light, groups etc.). The basic render have already been finished the same day after I've got the file, so that's ~1h tweaking, ~2h rendering; postpro ~ 1h today - not too long.

The post came out a bit heavy (thick glow) on this one, so several users may prefer pure render without it. But there's still room for improvement on original one. For example light direction on Bryce render (I didn't even change it) to look more similar or including the native camera aperture shape/dof as I've already shown before (if somebody wishes do do everything in cam in cost of rendertime and even more noise).

edited December 1969

@David: Beautiful cube, and results. Dare I add as usual?:-)

@Dave: My poor eyes only see a difference in the intensity of the lighting between those images. Is that what's occurs with more/less compression? BTW, what would a Darlek be doing in the loo? It'd have to be careful at either the sink or the toilet least it find itself seeing new and interesting places from the inside.

@dwsel: Those two look very nice. I noticed where the bottom edge of the bottom right tile didn't show through the eyeglass lens in David's Bryce image, it does in yours. And while there is evident of noise in the left image, it's somewhat masked by the intensity of the light in the right image. What causes this noise? Still, they are nice looking images. Nicely done.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    My poor eyes only see a difference in the intensity of the lighting between those images. Is that what's occurs with more/less compression?

If you search around you can find better examples of jpg compression problems, but just a quick illustration here is a side-by-side comparison of a zoomed in section of something saved from Bryce in low quality and in max quality. Notice the weird artifacts that sort of form a ghost outline near the edge of the object out in the sky.

(And I just now realized that "high quality" isn't the highest quality, I didn't even notice "max quality" in the list.)

jpg_max_and_low_quality_compared.png
    390 x 1032 - 24K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Thesavage64

It should work fine Stuart.
    The main thing to check it to make sure the rocks aren’t grouped though I’m sure that in the past I too have sometimes encountered situations where the ‘land object’ arrow made the object pass through other objects instead of landing on them… I never figured out what was causing it.

If your rocks aren’t grouped, then the other thing I’d try is to make them all really really small while they are floating above the terrain, then land them and then make them the correct size and manually lift them to the correct height (maybe so they remain slightly buried) together, doing it that way should mean that the individual rocks keep to the contour of the terrain.

Thanks Thesavage64 will give it a go.

@bigh

use the ( ALt ) key ( hold it down when place them in ( I ) lab ) to land on terrain

Thanks bigh. I didn't use the Instancing lab though, just 1 rock and Random Replicate to make 20.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the comments and explanation about compression.

Dave-Thanks for the examples.

Horo-Bryce automatically saves each render as a .bmp as well and the Bryce scene file. Do you mean I need to resave it -- File-Export image … as a bmp. I do export a some of my abstracts as HDR Image Files. Btw thanks for mentioning it, as more than once I was tempted to delete some of the bmp files and you’re right… for HD space

There’s another abstract, rendered superfine 64Rpp, high priority, 38mins.

Re-rendered one of the previous ones - superfine 64Rpp, high priority, 50mins.

The Jpeg files are still small although I used max quality. I think it will be better to use a graphic program to save as jpeg as Horo suggested.

reflective-redone.jpg
    600 x 600 - 59K
    abstract002.jpg
    640 x 480 - 51K
    edited December 1969

@Sean: Thank you for the examples, though I will confess it's still above my pay grade. Perhaps one day I'll have enough between my ears to really understand the problem. Or perhaps it's because I use .png instead of .jpg to export images.

@mermaid: Again, lovely images.

edited March 2013

Horo-Bryce automatically saves each render as a .bmp as well and the Bryce scene file. Do you mean I need to resave it -- File-Export image … as a bmp. I do export a some of my abstracts as HDR Image Files. Btw thanks for mentioning it, as more than once I was tempted to delete some of the bmp files and you’re right… for HD space

The Jpeg files are still small although I used max quality. I think it will be better to use a graphic program to save as jpeg as Horo suggested.

Good, no need to resave. I thought there was an option to save as jpg while saving the scene. I was probably wrong because I can't find that option anymore - of there ever was one.
    By the way, the bmp saved along with the file is the usual 24 bit RGB. If you use Save Image and select BMP, it will be a 32 bit file: RGB plus alpha channel.

EDIT - nice abstracts again.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited March 2013

Thanks all for the comments and explanation about compression.

Dave-Thanks for the examples.

There’s another abstract, rendered superfine 64Rpp, high priority, 38mins.

Re-rendered one of the previous ones - superfine 64Rpp, high priority, 50mins.

The second one looks wonderful, should be in a gallery... Hmn... no really, that's not just an excuse for me to mention galleries, it's excellent. But you know that's reminded me. I have not had my gallery badgering quota for today. Gallery, gallery, gallery... There. Right, what as I going to say?

Gallery?

Er... yes, but something else... oh new tutorial!

Bryce 25 minute scene - Woven Cube 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

tutorial_2_woven_cube_scene2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 170K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I thought there was an option to save as jpg while saving the scene. I was probably wrong because I can't find that option anymore - of there ever was one.

Were you looking for this?
    File > "Save Image As", then set "Save as type" to "JPEG (*.JPG)"
    edited December 1969

Ah yes, Sean, but the default one? When you save the scene, the rendered image is saved along with it. I thought the type of that one can only be selected.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on my last image - tis appreciated!

Here's my 2nd entry in the Stonemason catalog contest.
    Illumination by 18 Visible, ranged lights and the Bryce sun.
    The whole scene is surrounded by a large sphere with a very low frequency Volumetric texture. The low density areas help create the "God Rays".
    Rendered with True Ambience at 16 RPP (about 18 hours to render).

Content used:
    Stonemason:Urban Greeble Blocks 2
    Spacebones: "Beaver" Shuttle

Applications used:
    Bryce 7.1
    DazStudio (Bryce Bridge)
    Photoshop (custom trans maps for windows)
    Modo: Bridge model

Thanks for looking and for any comments!

dawn_shuttle_2.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 120K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Nice Dan, if this were a game, I would want to check it out.. maybe there would be another way of lighting roads in a different future.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on my last image - tis appreciated!

Here's my 2nd entry in the Stonemason catalog contest.
    Illumination by 18 Visible, ranged lights and the Bryce sun.
    The whole scene is surrounded by a large sphere with a very low frequency Volumetric texture. The low density areas help create the "God Rays".
    Rendered with True Ambience at 16 RPP (about 18 hours to render).

Content used:
    Stonemason:Urban Greeble Blocks 2
    Spacebones: "Beaver" Shuttle

Applications used:
    Bryce 7.1
    DazStudio (Bryce Bridge)
    Photoshop (custom trans maps for windows)
    Modo: Bridge model

Thanks for looking and for any comments!

Fantastic work Dan, very atmospheric - every since you showed us this trick with volume fog I've been experimenting with it regularly.

This discussion has been closed.