Animated short movie

cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
edited January 2017 in Carrara Discussion

This animated short shows a simple example of what could happen if Batman does not use krytonite.

https://youtu.be/WaIbjX_8gAM

"

I was going to use Carrara with Octane to create this movie, but I wanted to use volumetrics for smoke and explosions (I have a list of personal challenges that.I have for every project). I also wanted the level control of cloth/soft objects and physics/dynamics that we just don't have in Carrara. 

With my next project, I will use Lightwave and Poser Fusion, but I may also blend in shots created in Carrara (since the movie will include a few Daz characters).  

Post edited by cyborgty_074ff6c243 on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2017

Everything in this video short is AWESOME!  Thank you for posting it.  So inspiring.

For any barbarians who did not get the reference, see

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Very nice, fun to watch.  I liked the "plink" sound that the weapons hitting Superman made, kind of hints that this will not end well for Batman.

The whole story reminds me of what everybody says will happen to my Houston Texans against the Patriots Saturday.   I heard the Texans' coach was asked what he told the players, he replied, "Don't break the equipment".   surprise

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

This is very nice and fun to watch.  Great job on it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Very nice Ty! LOL!!! I Loved it through and through!

So, you say you didn't do it in Carrara? What did you end up using?

• Glad you guys like it! 

Dartanbeck, I used Lightwave to model/animate/layout the environment, but mainly used the Octane plugin to render the shots. For the missile trail and explosions, I used the Turbulence FD plugin. For the soft body objects (i.e. the capes) I used lightwave clothFX and the syflex plugin. Also, I continue to look for workflow efficiencies. I learned to value the use of point cahces (i.e. MDDs) and proxies for cloth objects (i.e. using thin object for calculations, but apply that motion to the thicker final version; hope this make sense). Most of this just isnt available in or for Carrara. Instancing and the bullet implementations are much better/more feature rich in Lightwave. The more comfortable I get in Lightwave, the less interested I am if depending on Carrara. However, I still have a lot of assets that I purchased from the Daz store over the past years (noticed some show 'obsolete' now) and I will use whatever provides the best workflow when I use some of these in future projects (i.e. I might use Carrara and Mimic with some). Stay tuned.

In the above movie, the CyBoRgTy intro clip (with the robots and cyborg) was created in Carrara several years ago. I need to update that to reflect my current capabilities. I might still use Carrara for the updated version (since it was the 3D software I learned first; sentimental sap in me).

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited January 2017

Hi Tyrone, I use nearly everyday the MDD plugin for Carrara from Fenric with Marvelous Designer, it's a really great plugin and I think you must try it!

Nice work!

Post edited by DUDU on
  • DUDU said:

Hi Tyrone, I use nearly everyday the MDD plugin for Carrara from Fenric with Marvelous Designer, it's a really great plugin and I think you must try it!

Nice work!

Good to read from you DUDU! Its been a while (not your fault; I haven't been around).
    I'm glad to read you are having successes with that plugin. Its been a whle since I tried it, but I remember it didn't work as needed. One of the tests was with Marvelous Designer and things did turn out well. In fact, one of the major defining/deciding moments was when I tried to export clothFX from Lightwave using MDD to Carrara and couldn't get that to work. If it had worked, then Carrara would have stayed my primary program and Lightwave would have been just a another tool to suppliment what I needed in Carrara. I would have been spared the painful months (read books, viewed videos, trial and error attempts, created movies) it took to get to know Lightwave as I do now. But I have to admit, I am better after having the experience. 

Perhaps I could give it a try again. What version of Marvelous designer are you using? Has the MDD plugin been updated? It has been a couple of years since I last looked at this in Carrara. As I typed, this I notice a few of you provided some tips here --> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/62411/carrara-and-marvelous-designer-tutorial

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I'm with MD4 now but MD2 is good enought to make what we want.

I read again this discussion and I can see that the fact to use the linear tweeners is very important and we don't spoke about that in this discussion.

Really, you must try again, it's a very hight improvement for the clothes simulations in Carrara, I know, there is a new plugin really nice too for Carrara now (VWD) but if you already own MD, learn more with the Fenric's plugin, and it's not only for clothes, you can create any kind of stuff in MD and import the simulation into Carrara, you can create terrains, animated algues etc, etc...

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Very nicely done cyborgty - thanks for sharing!

Glad you guys like it! 

Dartanbeck, I used Lightwave to model/animate/layout the environment, but mainly used the Octane plugin to render the shots. For the missile trail and explosions, I used the Turbulence FD plugin. For the soft body objects (i.e. the capes) I used lightwave clothFX and the syflex plugin. Also, I continue to look for workflow efficiencies. I learned to value the use of point cahces (i.e. MDDs) and proxies for cloth objects (i.e. using thin object for calculations, but apply that motion to the thicker final version; hope this make sense). Most of this just isnt available in or for Carrara. Instancing and the bullet implementations are much better/more feature rich in Lightwave. The more comfortable I get in Lightwave, the less interested I am if depending on Carrara. However, I still have a lot of assets that I purchased from the Daz store over the past years (noticed some show 'obsolete' now) and I will use whatever provides the best workflow when I use some of these in future projects (i.e. I might use Carrara and Mimic with some). Stay tuned.

In the above movie, the CyBoRgTy intro clip (with the robots and cyborg) was created in Carrara several years ago. I need to update that to reflect my current capabilities. I might still use Carrara for the updated version (since it was the 3D software I learned first; sentimental sap in me).

Fantastic! Thanks for the highly detailed answer and, yes... what you've said there makes perfect sense and I'm glad that you're able to take advantage of caching... something I really wish I could use, but don't have.

Wow... and using MDD opens up the possibilities to also use ChronoSculpt if you even get into that! I think it accepts MDD.... ChronoSculpt allows for further manipulation of simulation caches. Can tweak in some incredibly interesting ways. At first I thought it was only for LW (being developed by NewTeK) but I guess it works for anything which can use the files exchanges accepted, Alembic, MDD and such Cache files.

Either way, I had to ask because a lot of it actually looks like it might have been done in Carrara. Great job of continuing the look.

Man... I really love your work. Fantastic! And thanks a million for the awesome workflow share!

•  

Fantastic! Thanks for the highly detailed answer and, yes... what you've said there makes perfect sense and I'm glad that you're able to take advantage of caching... something I really wish I could use, but don't have.

Wow... and using MDD opens up the possibilities to also use ChronoSculpt if you even get into that! I think it accepts MDD.... ChronoSculpt allows for further manipulation of simulation caches. Can tweak in some incredibly interesting ways. At first I thought it was only for LW (being developed by NewTeK) but I guess it works for anything which can use the files exchanges accepted, Alembic, MDD and such Cache files.

Either way, I had to ask because a lot of it actually looks like it might have been done in Carrara. Great job of continuing the look.

Man... I really love your work. Fantastic! And thanks a million for the awesome workflow share!

When you use clothFX or softFX in Lightwave, each has an editFX tool that tallows you to make changes similar to what you can do in ChronoSculp. However, I also have and use Chronosculpt because at times I found it to be easier to make the changes to the vertex caches. 

Regarding the look of the movie in this thread, the materials, lighting, and postworkwork (mainly color correction) makes it easy for be to have a 'look' that might appear to be consistent with my other Carrara native GI rendered movies. A thing to consider though is when I produced the similar frames in Carrara using the native engine, I had some frames take 2 to 4 minutes per frame to render (with my 6 systems render farm). But now with my Octane based render farm, similar frames take 10 to 30 seconds to render depending on settings. For Shots like the batcave, which has volumetric lighting /fog and depth of field, I had to use the PMC kernel to get the look I wanted and the render times were around 90 second to 115 per frame (at 1000 samples). ​ I'm sure we could produce a scene like that with volumetric lighting and depth of field in Carrara, but there is no way the native engine would take only 1 minute 30 seconds to produce each of those frames (maybe with a 50 or more node render farm smiley; with todays systems it might do it with fewer)..

• DUDU said:

I'm with MD4 now but MD2 is good enought to make what we want.

I read again this discussion and I can see that the fact to use the linear tweeners is very important and we don't spoke about that in this discussion.

Really, you must try again, it's a very hight improvement for the clothes simulations in Carrara, I know, there is a new plugin really nice too for Carrara now (VWD) but if you already own MD, learn more with the Fenric's plugin, and it's not only for clothes, you can create any kind of stuff in MD and import the simulation into Carrara, you can create terrains, animated algues etc, etc...

I decided to play with the MDD plugin in Carrara and was reminded of why I looked to Lightwave. I keep getting "an error occured while executing open" message when I attempt to load an MDD.

When loading the MDD,I get the 'Lightwave Motion Designer Import' dialogue box and tried various 'Source Application' values, but to no avail. I tried with MDDs created in Marvelous Designer as well as with those from Lightwave. But no success. Oh, in case you are wondering, ALL of these files work great in Lightwave (including the object and MDD from Marvelous Designer). Oh well. 

When you use clothFX or softFX in Lightwave, each has an editFX tool that tallows you to make changes similar to what you can do in ChronoSculp. However, I also have and use Chronosculpt because at times I found it to be easier to make the changes to the vertex caches. 

Really? I never knew that! That is Too Freaking Cool!!!

Awesome that you also have Chronosculpt. The promos for that look fantastic for anyone working with physics sims for sure!

Wow. 10 - 30 seconds per frame? Sweet!