Sharing characters with other developers

Let's say that I create my own character using a certain base and certain add-ons. And let's say that "developer 'A'" also owns those same add-ons. Is there a simple way for me to give my character to him so that he can use the character in one of his story?

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Easiest way is to make an example render, post it to the DAZ 3D Gallery you have and upload the scene that you used to create the render to the same gallery.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869
    edited January 2017

a simple duf scene or subset save should load all the morphs and if they have them and any content,

if not it lists the missing ones and replaces missing mesh with cubes.

This is the great thing about installing with DIM, you can share scenes with others with the same content used!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,038
    edited January 2017

Easiest way is to make an example render, post it to the DAZ 3D Gallery you have and upload the scene that you used to create the render to the same gallery.

What?

Let's say I create a G2M character with certain attributes -- upper arms = 27%, bodybuilder = 12%, stocky = 41%, etc. How do you re-create my exact same charecter and use him in a scene on your computer? Depending on the number of add-on packages that were used to create that character, there could be upward to a thousand or more different settngs needed to make that exact same character. Assuming that you and I have the same content, how do you get your character to look exactly like my characrer?

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

See post above yours.

edited January 2017

What?

Let's say I create a G2M character with certain attributes -- upper arms = 27%, bodybuilder = 12%, stocky = 41%, etc. How do you re-create my exact same charecter and use him in a scene on your computer? Depending on the number of add-on packages that were used to create that character, there could be upward to a thousand or more different settngs needed to make that exact same character. Assuming that you and I have the same content, how do you get your character to look exactly like my characrer?

I told you - you save the scene and you upload it to the DAZ Gallery to share. There are other more difficult ways but that is not what you asked. You asked the easiest way to share a character and I told you.

However, the DAZ Gallery has size limits on files you can post to the gallery so when you save the scene with the character exactly how you want it to look than only have the character exactly how you want it to look and nothing else in the scene otherwise you'll try and upload your scene and you'll get some misleading error about '404 File Not Found' if the uploaded scene is too big for the DAZ Gallery file server.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,038

Let me see if I understand this. If I go to the Gallery now and download one of the images there, I will be able to open the exact same scene if I have all of the add-ons present?

Let me see if I understand this. If I go to the Gallery now and download one of the images there, I will be able to open the exact same scene if I have all of the add-ons present?

No,

a. Open DAZ Studio

b. Add your character to the new scene in DAZ Studio

c. Save your new scene in DAZ Studio

d. Render your scene in DAZ Studio

e. Upload your rendered scene to the DAZ Gallery

f. Upload your scene file that you just rendered and uploaded to the same uploaded render page in the DAZ Gallery

g. copy link to that page in your DAZ gallery

h. send that link to your developer friend

i. done

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited January 2017

No,

a. Open DAZ Studio

b. Add your character to the new scene in DAZ Studio

c. Save your new scene in DAZ Studio

d. Render your scene in DAZ Studio

e. Upload your rendered scene to the DAZ Gallery

f. Upload your scene file that you just rendered and uploaded to the same uploaded render page in the DAZ Gallery

g. copy link to that page in your DAZ gallery

h. send that link to your developer friend

i. done

That's FAR too much when you can simply save a character preset if all you want is the shape and skin materials. If you wanted to save a character with clothes, you save a scene subset, not a whole scene. Both files can then be emailed to the person that has the same products. A scene file will have render settings as well and isn't needed unless the other person wants to render the same scene.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on