On skin textures

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited January 2017 in Product Suggestions

Hello,

I just want to make a statement here on skin textures for G3F and G3M. Dear Vendors. Skin textures shouldn`t have shadings. Shadings (shadows) should come from lighting and not from the texture itself. The Diffuse Map of V7 for example has shadings and shadows (hip and hipbones for example) that makes it nearly impossible to use the skin texture for diverdent characters or just for a little bit diverdent V7 character without running the texture maps through a graphic program trying to fix these things, what in my opinion is not a good thing.

Don`t get me wrong, the skin texture for V7 is great that is why want to use it also on other characters what makes a lot of work because of these shadings.

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Every photograph of human skin used to make store products is a photo of skin doing what skin is suppose to do when light hits it from any angle.  While character makers attempt to reduce these effects, it is humanly impossible to make it perfect.  While some are better at this then others, none of us are perfect!

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    Mattymanx said:

Every photograph of human skin used to make store products is a photo of skin doing what skin is suppose to do when light hits it from any angle.  While character makers attempt to reduce these effects, it is humanly impossible to make it perfect.  While some are better at this then others, none of us are perfect!

+1

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    Mattymanx said:

+1

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861
    Mattymanx said:

+1 :D

To add to that perhaps, some of this could be mitigiated actually before we even receive the photo references by using cross polarizing filtering techniques in the photo shoots, which I wish 3d.sk would use more (or at all).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

It's why procedural textures are being worked on by places like Disney as that elimates those problems.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

My procedural skins are ok, but really needs some special way to detect where on the body it is and adjust based on location. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

My procedural skins are ok, but really needs some special way to detect where on the body it is and adjust based on location. 

I don't know if Disney & those places have something like DAZ Studio surfaces, which would allow you to assign a different procedural shader per surface. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next 5 years.