V4/M4 compatibilty with Genesis: CMS good practice?

edited December 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

**ETA: Urgh, I haven't been here in a while... so hello there!

I've started the daunting process of creating the metadata for some of my older content. I've read all the threads I've found on CMS (I've probably missed some, though); I still have a few questions.

Gen4 skins / materials for Genesis:
I know my Gen4 skins work without a glitch on my Genesis characters. However they don't show in the Smart Content when Genesis is selected.
Should I add the Genesis compatibility to all my Gen4 materials, or is there a cleaner / more efficient way of doing this? Would a filter help (and what is a filter exactly, anyway?).

For that matter, for materials that are compatible between Gen4 characters - say, the eyes -- what's the best practice? Should I add a global "Generation 4" compatibility to the eye materials, or should I leave it with the intended character?

Compatibility database categories:
I've noticed the most recent products usually create their base compatibility entry in the root of the database. So you'll have "Sally Mae Hair", then "Shelter", then "Tre"... that's fine for now as I've only installed a few products, but I can see it'll get unwieldy quite soon.
Can we move the categories to subcategories (wardrobe, architecture...) without breaking everything?

Thanks for answers / extra questions / links to the relevant CMS posts that I've missed. :)

Post edited by raindrop_1ff71f4538 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Are you doing this for distribution?

If not...do what ever you want. It's not going to break anything. That's what the categories are for...to make it easier to organize your content, for you. The actual content files aren't touched or moved when assigning them to a category...just the information about them.

So if you want to make a category called Hair and then subcategories by generation with another one for universal or converted hair, go for it...all that matters is that you are doing it in a logical manner, that makes sense to you.

Personally, I think dumping everything in the root defeats the purpose of making a database, in the first place...

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

>

I know my Gen4 skins work without a glitch on my Genesis characters. However they don’t show in the Smart Content when Genesis is selected.
    Should I add the Genesis compatibility to all my Gen4 materials?

you must need,, then I just add the compatibility with geensis, as you said

about poze files or if I want to wear V4 clothings by daz recommend auto-fit system to genesis,
    I may set compatibilty with genesis too. it seems no problem .

and if I saved refromed clothings which transfered from V4 items to genesis items,
    I often hope to use original material preset files.

so apply new compatibility with the saved clothings about each material preset,,

I have never touched "filter" ^^; so,, how it work ? I hope to know what filter exactly means,,

• edited December 1969

Thank you; I've already added a structure that works for me separately from Default. I'll add compatibilities for the skins... lots of work.

For the filters / database, I'm talking about this window (see picture).
    See how it starts with Alchemy Chasm, then Aldora Hair, then... ? Ideally, I'd like to move Alchemy Chasm under the Architecture root category, and Aldora Hair under the Hair category. I don't know if that's possible without having to redefine all the assets and breaking content, for example compatibility with texture packs I might get later on.

I've defined some assets already, but it's still a bit hit and miss... with some funny results. For example Smart Content thinks I can apply Michael 4's eye materials to his genitalia... not quite what I had in mind. :D

database_gettingmessy.jpg
    597 x 614 - 46K
  • edited December 2012

(sorry, double post)

Post edited by raindrop_1ff71f4538 on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Yeah,, I thought the category which you mentioned above seems different ,
    from which can be shown in smart content. or content library category,,

about these cateogry,, I understand and thought mjc1016 right..

now I think, you said about the hieralchy of compatiblity base data.
    I know we can make new compatibility base, or change hieralchy,
    but I want not and may not change the hieralchy after set meta-data and compatibility with each assets.

I afraid if change the hieralchy of compatiblity base in database,
    material or poze of clothings,,, theses assets which assigned by compatibility with
    seems to loose tha path. so you may need to re assgined again comatibility with.

And we need to set scene ID of figure or prop by comaptibility base.
    to show files which reffered to in smart conent.

so that if change the hieralchy I belive need to set scene ID again.

if I change products compatibility base,, it must be affect other files (material poze etc,)

but I have not tried it,,, ^^;

on the other hand if you make new meta-data for the assets,
    you can set compatibility base hieralchy (set it as sub hieralchy of another node)
    where you want I think,,,

I hope, another user who have more knowledge about meta-data
    may reply your answer and confirm about meta-data ^^;

( nowdays I do not make meta-data ^^;,,,
    it is so boring job to me,, ^^; but I need to keep clean and organize again my assets,, ^^;
    so it seems good chance for me to clean up and categorize ,,,,, untill new happy year,,

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 2012

cridgit said:
    You can change categories any way you like without breaking anything, but DO NOT change the Compatibility Bases (pictured in your screenshot above) as that will destroy your metadata dependencies.

That's not quite true. You can add compatibility bases with little problem (I do it all the time). Removing compatibility bases, on the other hand, will screw with your metadata. It can be repaired if your patient enough, though, to go through and fix everything yourself.

To the original issue...

The top level items (Generation 4, etc.) tells DS that anything compatible with Generation 4 is compatible to all sub-items (Michael 4, Victoria 4, Kids 4)

Personally, I manually assign all skins to both the appropriate Gen 4 figure, and to Genesis.

I assign eyes to Generation 4 and Genesis

When I convert clothing or hair to Genesis, I give them the same Scene ID compatibility as the original item, creating a new compatibility base as needed

It's a slow process, and I've been adding the necessary metadata only as I've been working on a given scene.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on