Rashad's Thoughts on Lighting in Bryce 7.1 Pro in 2017

12345679»

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,014

Horo - the lighting is not bad for a 3 mins render.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 847
    edited December 2017

Sorry, double posting

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 847
    edited December 2017

Hi everybody

I'm afraid, but I had not the time to follow this thread as much as I wished. Nevertheless I am very interested in the topic.

@Hansmar: Ups, thanks for the hint. Now I have added a picture.

@Mermaid010: Very good renders. I like both, but the second one a bit more.

@Horo: I agree with mermaid. Not bad for a 3 minutes render.

I had made another test and I hope you don't mind that I had not used rashad's model (I started with the reading room from DAZ3D to figure out something different and the stayed with that model.) It is an attempt with sunlight. The position of the sun should be excatly opposite of the beholder. I am quite satisfied with the result over all, but there are 2 drawbacks. First is the shadow at the window utterly in the back. In my opinion the shadow lines of the window frames should be parallel. They might be divergent because I used a parallel light but turned it around 30 degress, so that it's top is much nearer to the window than it's bottom

The second drawback is that you must accept overexposed windows, because the most lightsources are directly in front of them. 

Rendered with Premius effect, TA 64 rpp. Render time around 50 minutes.

Lichttest_Sonne2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 289K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,761
    edited December 2017

Electro-Elvis,

Did you attach a picture?

OK, good idea, attaching it angel

Fantastic room, though and very nice lighting. I wonder whether the two lamps on the ceiling towards the back of the first room are perhaps floating (seeing quite a shadow above them)?

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,140

Electro-Elvis - great room, nicely lit.

• Horo- This single light scenario makes me think of a camera flash, or even a flashlight with a wide beam or maybe even NO beam. Not bad indeed.

ElectroElvis- So glad to have your study here to observe. Don't feel too bad about time. I hardly seem to have any time at all for artwork lately so we nmake the best of the time we do have. This is an excellent choice for a discussion like the one we are conducting. Here are my thoughts so far.

1. I believe Hansmar is spot on in the observation that the ceiling lights don't seem to be making contact with the ceiling. Butr that's a minor issue if the discussion is lighting itself.

2. This scene has lots of bevels along the walls. Such types of walls give the viewers eye a good amount of opportunity to raytrace the shadows.These bevels often betray and reveal the sneaky inner workings of an otherwise hidden lighting scheme. I feel like the shading along those bevel

3. Fantastic light through the curtains!!

4. I would assume that the windows were white looking because the world outside is highly overexposed. This seems consistent with expectation since our pupils must be opened quite wide for us to view this enterior so comfortably. To my eye there is no need to apologize about overexposure.

This is a very successful study, ElectroElvis. Excellent. Thanks for this contribution!

Electro-Elvis - beautiful room, awesome lighting.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,140

Rashad - thanks. Not bad, neither good but fun to make it (beauty in simplicity).

edited December 2017

Going on Rashad’s suggestion, 2 more renders using 3D Fill lights, I’m still using David’s Hdri from his www.daz3d.com/bryce-pro-cloudscapes-5-example-one  

After playing with the settings I settled for Diffuse 200, Quality 512, Bias -50 The settings are the same for both renders, in the second, I moved the sun position to get some sunlight into the room.

classroom-ex-fill.jpg
    750 x 417 - 96K
    classroom-ex-fill2.jpg
    750 x 417 - 100K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid010: Nice renders. I prefer the second one, thanks to the lights on the floor that came from the window. It is a bit strange, that the right side of the room is darker than the left side. But maybe that is an illusion?

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Hansmar said:

mermaid010: Nice renders. I prefer the second one, thanks to the lights on the floor that came from the window. It is a bit strange, that the right side of the room is darker than the left side. But maybe that is an illusion?

Hans, you as usual have mixed up the right and the left. Explain why the right side should be lighter than the left?!
    Through the windows into the room comes diffused light from outside. It more illuminates the opposite wall. On the right wall does not get any light, except reflected from the walls, floor and ceiling.

Alex, you are right. I already was thinking that there must be this logical explanation. As I indicated, it is an illusion, or maybe more an expectation of more light in the right part, while, indeed, t is logivcal that there is more light on the left! (So, I did not mix-up, but also did not think through.)

Thanks Hansmar

• Mermaid- Apologies for taking so long to respond. They look great. I prefer the one with the sunlight entering the room. At this point I think its safe to say you're getting the handle on the 3d fill and the dome lights and how they can be applied to interiors. At this time I'd say that you can start to tweak your overall shading levels. The 3d fill and the domes within the room dont necessarily have to do ALL of the work to reduce the depth of shadows. A few non shadow casting lights or even an additional dome (set as a distant so it behaves more or less like an hdri). Or better yet, since you're already using an hdri from David Brinnen, you could allow it to shine a little bit of diffuse power into the scene. Leave shadow casting form the IBL disabled, as you are using this IBL simply to fill in the darkest areas in cooperation with your 3d Fills or Domes. So many options. Canlt go wrong. Pretty decent render times as well. Thank you for yet another great contribution to the study!

Thanks Rashad for the comment and suggestion,

At this point I think its safe to say you're getting the handle on the 3d fill and the dome lights and how they can be applied to interiors.I'll really know once I apply what I learnt to another interior scene

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Rashad Carter said:

Intermediate and Advanced Bryce Users Download

Download the files located here:

MgScp Tutorial Files featuring either EGDLS or EGFPLS

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IpzCJ1fXpedUp2aWdON2toU0U?usp=sharing

MgScp ARTWORK Files featuring either EGDLS or EGFPLS

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IpzCJ1fXpeZWhTRHdiRFB5Zms/view?usp=sharing

Velvet and Satin Basics

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IpzCJ1fXpecF9RQjZMc3IybGs?usp=sharing

Easy Fake GI for Interiors

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IpzCJ1fXpeQ3RHSFFPS2pjQzg?usp=sharing

Advanced Faked GI for Interiors

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IpzCJ1fXpeMWxPc2RvQzlTS1E?usp=sharing

Rashad, i just noticed that your uploads now give an error about lacking access for them. Perhaps Google made them private when you didn't notice. Please change privacy setting back to "everyone who has the link"  otherwise you'll have to enable access for each e-mail/user individually.  

akmerlow said:

Rashad, i just noticed that your uploads now give an error about lacking access for them. Perhaps Google made them private when you didn't notice. Please change privacy setting back to "everyone who has the link"  otherwise you'll have to enable access for each e-mail/user individually.  

I just tried the 1st link and it worked okay for me.

That could be if your mail is already added to contact list of Rashad.

While i see similar page to this:

i know it was not like that before for me. I wonder how it is for others, then.

Strange ,,,  maybe there is another explanation, I'm using Firefox

edited February 2022

mermaid010 said:

Strange ,,,  maybe there is another explanation, I'm using Firefox

Oh, now this is weird and interesting at same time, thank you. I was browsing from Edge which became my main browser on current PC (i also have Firefox, but it's 32 bit and outdated, which is good to lessen RAM usage, but certain websites including GoogleDrive refuse to work with it).

Following your idea, i just checked links with Opera instead - and they do work as intended, without "no access" problem.

Something extremely off either from Edge or Google side, or both...

In conclusion, then, guess this is false alert but also a weird bug, so if anyone would face it, hope this proves helpful.

Post edited by akmerlow on

The web... the more advanced the theology gets the more confusing it becomes..