Odd Scaling on textures and maps when imported to Bryce 7

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

When I import my models in to Bryce it doesn't use the full parameters of the texture and bump map, there is a fairly large edge that isn't used and worst off my bump map and image are somewhat compressed towards the center. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

When I import my models in to Bryce it doesn't use the full parameters of the texture and bump map, there is a fairly large edge that isn't used and worst off my bump map and image are somewhat compressed towards the center. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance

Possibly you are doing nothing wrong. Texture on model imports (even from Bryce's stable mate DS) have to be adjusted before they are usable.

To get to grips with this though, you will need to supply more detailed information and possibly some screen shots of what you've got to work with.

Probably it would be useful to know what software you are importing from. Also consider trying importing into DS and then using the bridge to send it over to Bryce - DS might do a slightly better job of making sense of your textures. Might.

Also bear in mind that Bryce does not have normal maps. The bump channel works through an 8 bit height map (which isn't ideal) lacking the resolution of the procedurally generated bump. So... what I'm saying is, even if you get your textures mapped to the correct channels, there will still be some work to do.

• edited January 2013

Okay here's a map that I put on "Object Side" to show the problem. The red area isn't used in the rendering.

map.jpg
    1836 x 117 - 14K
    Post edited by carmen_179c722205 on
  • edited December 1969

Here are a few examples

Map_Missalign_4.jpg
    1000 x 505 - 93K
  • edited December 1969

For some reason it won't let me post more images

• edited December 1969
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

It would also probably help to see what it should look like (ie: presumably you've got it looking right in another 3D app?)

To attach more than one picture to a post, you have to attach the first one and then hit the 'Preview' button instead of the post button.
    Then you will get the option of attaching a further pic. You need to hit 'Preview' for each pic you wish to attach (max of 5 pics per post).

Hope this helps.

• edited December 1969

This is what I'm working on, the battleship Nevada for my website home page. The bump maps are for the rivets and clad seams. I have them in a gray scale in layers in my paint program so I can add dents and metal pitting as desired later. I model in Rhino and rendered in Flamingo, the texture maps were all made using my 2D line drawings that I created from builder plans. In Flamingo I simply drew a box around the part with exact corner points then applied it as a side decal. I don't see a way to do that in Bryce but I'm in the process of rebuilding the lower hull by lofting the clad plates to enhance the detail. The plates sort of cork screw around the hull so I expect to use parametric textures and so far they have imported perfect. So, after reading what David said I think I will keep it simple by removing most of the Flamingo texture work and rebuilding those parts to except parametric textures and meticulously adjust the weird Bryce stretch on the few parts that have to have direct side textures...

USS_Nevada_DD_WIP.jpg
    1024 x 517 - 224K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hmn... tricky. OK well I'm not familiar with Rhino or Flamingo, but it might (no promises) help to look at what happens in the Wings3D UV mapping tutorial on Horo's website http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/sys/index_en.html#DocTop goto Tutorials > Wings 3D > page1 > third one down in the list.

The thing is, since you clearly know your way around these bits of software, you'll more than likely be aware how to make a UV map in your own softwares. Which means you can use Parametric in Bryce to map the textures according to the UV you have created. It's all very faffy, as you can see from the tutorial, but probably you already know that too. But it does work with Wings3D models and they are just using a standard format so your own software will likely work just as well (or badly) depending on how you feel about the way Bryce handles UV maps.

• edited December 1969

Thanks David... I can't use the tutorial for Rhino CAD but it reminded me that I purchased Hexagon a couple years ago (before it was free!) to use as a pass through for making textures and I'm inclined to believe it will work in it.

I know Bryce can make the renderings I envision but after watching a few of your videos (that are way over my hear) I can see a 180 degree learning curve ahead...

Now I'm trying to figure out how to mask out the port holes using an alpha map while still using the bump map??? Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I either have holes masked in the hull or a bump map but not both...

Regards: DD

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2013

In the Mat Lab:

A drop a droplet into channel B on the transparency row, then add your alpha channel pic by
    B selecting the "P" button
    C Selecting the picture import button
    D Clicking a blank square to bring up the window for you to navigate to your alpha map.

Hope this helps. I did it in a rush. :)

Picture-25.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 130K
    Picture-24.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 137K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks Savage64, GREAT Instructions! I knew it would be stupid simple once I was shown the path. Now to run an ellipse down the hull panels and trim out the port holes then move on to the next point of confusion...

Regards: DD