Suggestions for making boat wake in C8.5 Pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Any suggestions for making the wake of a boat on an ocean in C8.5 Pro?

I saw one mini-tip on YouTube using a fire primitive, rotated and scaled, with colors set to white and blue to make a wake, and that's not bad.

I also remember a discussion on the old forums with one suggestion about using vertex objects for the bow and stern wakes - any hints about what type of shader to use for those? And how would you animate that shader to make it look like the foam/wake was changing? Use different noise settings at beginning and end and set the tweener to Noise Tweener maybe?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you decide to try the object route, Spacebones has a set of wake objects at ShareCG

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25282/gallery/5/3D-Model/Wakes

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Looks like that's in obp format for Bryce, but may try importing into bryce then exporting as obj for carrara.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Spacebones normally uses obj. Only his older stuff is obp only.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Just so happens i completed a PT Boat model over the weekend and used Spacebones' wakes in the scene. The bibbest problem was to get the shading right - I never succeeded and ended up using water brushes in Gimp to try and correct it. made a pretty crap job of it, so I'm also very interested in getting some advice here.

Also just discovered a formula which was posted here some years ago. I don' have a clue what to do with it, but here it is for someone who knows what they are doing:)

y2=(y-0.75)*(y-0.75);
    ax=(y2+0.125)/(y2+0.125/16);
    x=(x*ax)/(1.2+p1);
    x2= (x*x)+(p2/2);
    r2=x2+y2;
    h=4*(x2-0.0625*y2);
    h=(h-r2)*(h-r2);
    dz=((1-exp(-8*y2))*(PI/3+atan(-16*(y-0.75)))*exp(-h)/PI)*(1+p3);
    "parameter 1.... wave angle"
    "parameter 2.... wave head"
    "parameter 3.... wave height"

PTBoatComplete.png