Soft Body Cape collision issues.

BaazarBaazar Posts: 17
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey guys,
I'm having an issue with character animation and simulating the physics for a soft body cape. So I have a dynamic cape attached to Michael 4 in a bodysuit. Basically think Batman. I have a soft body modifier and a soft body attach on the cape. (By the way, does it matter which order this is in?)

The cape is connecting and overlapping inside the neck part of the body suit / M4. I have the soft body attach on the handful of vertices around the overlap.

So basically my animation is that the character ducks down into a crouch and then stands back up. The first half works perfectly when I run the simulation and the cape drapes perfectly but as the character stands back up the cape goes through his back. So where it attaches it goes into his back and then out the bottom of the body suit. I have checked all my collision settings and everything is on.

I just don't have any idea why the act of the character standing cause the cape to get sucked inside of it.

Thanks for any advice or ideas. Let me know if you need to see the animation and I'll do a render.

Thanks!

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

The cloth sim in the latest 8.5 beta does not work with moving collision objects, like your underlying character. Only works on static collision objects.

• BaazarBaazar Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

The cloth sim in the latest 8.5 beta does not work with moving collision objects, like your underlying character. Only works on static collision objects.

Wow really? That ruins my entire point of animating this project. I wish they could update that.

Well I guess there's another reason for me to invest in C4D.

Thanks!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

8.5 is a beta, and the Bullet cloth is part of the beta features, but Bullet won't be anywhere near finished when 8.5 is released.

I don't expect significant changes in the Bullet cloth for a very long time.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's not a cloth sim. It is simple bullet physics, soft body. I have been playing with it since the update. Wont work for dynamic clothes.

• BaazarBaazar Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. That's unfortunate for my project I'm trying to think of work arounds.