Texture Stretching?

MassMinionMassMinion Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

A simple question.......load up any figure,apply textures and then dial in large breasts,fat,big arms etc......the textures become stretched,is there a work around to this problem?

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

Are you using Genesis and DS? Maybe you could make your own custom UV's and adjust the stretching that way.

EDIT: I haven't tried it but I have seen people here who make their own UV's for props, and I figure the process would be the same for people. But you would need to adjust the mapping in another software.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • MassMinionMassMinion Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are you using Genesis and DS? Maybe you could make your own custom UV's and adjust the stretching that way.

EDIT: I haven't tried it but I have seen people here who make their own UV's for props, and I figure the process would be the same for people. But you would need to adjust the mapping in another software.

I'm using Daz/Genesis.....I've loaded up textures and re tooled them via Photoshop,that was fiddly but not really practical as everything I adjust has to be mimicked with the bump and specular maps in order for them to work effectively.Genesis allows he figure to expand and shrink at will but it seems to come with a price......texture issues.

• edited December 1969

Yes no other options than using an custom texture if you morph a figure a lot like giant breasts.
    On an prop like an plane expanded to an wall or floor you can use the tile function for the default material who is very smart.

edited January 2013

I'm using Daz/Genesis.....I've loaded up textures and re tooled them via Photoshop,that was fiddly but not really practical as everything I adjust has to be mimicked with the bump and specular maps in order for them to work effectively.Genesis allows he figure to expand and shrink at will but it seems to come with a price......texture issues.

I had the same texture issues with V4 though, its not a new problem. Textures tend to be designed for skinny chicks and the UV system is designed around them as well. So we have 3 commonly used female UVs for genesis V4, V5 and S5 and none of those figures is truly curvy.

So if you have a woman with a big tush and you put her in a bunny suit you can see bad stretching in the rear, same with boobs. And I'm not talking anime proportions either, just realistic voluptuous women. If I had a bit more patience I'd make my own UV's and textures for curvy ladies, but tinkering with UV's can be a pain and that is why I've mentioned in the past if a vendor made a new set and an accomadating texture I would pick it up.

But no one gonna do it less I do it myself lol.

I wish ya luck, but yeah, that PS route is going to be time consuming and only work for one texture. Custom UV's would be usable for any texture that uses the same mapping.

EDIT: and I am assuming a little bit here, I don't see why it wouldn't work but I can't do a sloppy test right now. I may tonight though just to prove the concept.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Are there directions someplace as to how to go about making a custom uv without messing up everybody's geometry?

edited January 2013

The instructions would change based on the software you are using, but the process is the same.

Dial in morphs then you would export the figure as an obj, or perhaps sent to hexagon if that is program of choice.

Using your 3d software adjust the UVs. Export as a new obj.

Inside of studio under the surfaces tab there is a button to import UV's. Select the obj you created that had the updated mapping. You should now have another option of UVs to use for that item(as in you can choose V4, V5 and CustomCurvyV5). im paraphrasing, but maybe this will help.

EDIT: just saying again, i'm guess this would work with genesis too because it works with props. not sure why it would be different. can't test at the moment.

better instructions here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14032/

edited December 1969

I had the same texture issues with V4 though, its not a new problem. Textures tend to be designed for skinny chicks and the UV system is designed around them as well. So we have 3 commonly used female UVs for genesis V4, V5 and S5 and none of those figures is truly curvy.

So if you have a woman with a big tush and you put her in a bunny suit you can see bad stretching in the rear, same with boobs. And I'm not talking anime proportions either, just realistic voluptuous women. If I had a bit more patience I'd make my own UV's and textures for curvy ladies, but tinkering with UV's can be a pain and that is why I've mentioned in the past if a vendor made a new set and an accomadating texture I would pick it up.

But no one gonna do it less I do it myself lol.

I wish ya luck, but yeah, that PS route is going to be time consuming and only work for one texture. Custom UV's would be usable for any texture that uses the same mapping.

EDIT: and I am assuming a little bit here, I don't see why it wouldn't work but I can't do a sloppy test right now. I may tonight though just to prove the concept.

Is there a way to some how bake the shape of a figure and then some how generate a custom UV from that unique shape?........lol..I really don't know what I'm talking about at this point,,just chucking idea's in the air.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

If someone makes a custom UV set for Genesis, I'm NOT SURE BUT:

I believe that UV set can be distributed via UVMAPPER's UVS files. You'll have to check with DAZ on that, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to mess up their copyright. (it was designed for that purpose, after all).

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

What may produce good results is to take an obj with an original UV into an app that lets you edit the UVs interactively, and shrink the breasts inward toward the nipples - like a photoshop "pinch" function. That UV will then correspond better to the texture when the breast geometry stretches outward a lot from the center.

edited December 1969

I just did a quick test and made my own terrible uV for genesis. I forgot a step, but you can find the info here.

kitakoredaz explains it and has screens. This is for a prop, but also works for genesis. You will need to know the UV mapping part yourself. I will edit older post, you can not send from hexagon to studio, you need to export as an obj and load that way.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    What may produce good results is to take an obj with an original UV into an app that lets you edit the UVs interactively, and shrink the breasts inward toward the nipples - like a photoshop "pinch" function. That UV will then correspond better to the texture when the breast geometry stretches outward a lot from the center.

In my experience, most of the problem is being caused, at least for breast morphs, by the geometry not being uniformly "expanded"...so doing the 'reverse' to the base UV (like Canary3d says) would probably work a lot better than just adjusting the UV to match the 'final' morph.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Canary3d said:

In my experience, most of the problem is being caused, at least for breast morphs, by the geometry not being uniformly "expanded"...so doing the 'reverse' to the base UV (like Canary3d says) would probably work a lot better than just adjusting the UV to match the 'final' morph.

So what would you use (software/tools) to do this,to reverse area's of the UV?........are we talking about loading maps into a 2D program and manipulate?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited December 1969

You can also solve this with Photoshop and the liquify tool. Liquify the breast area on the texture almost squashing it so when you apply large breasts, instead of the texture stretching, it will expand to its normal size when expanded. Takes a few tries to get it right, but once you find the sweet spot, save as an action and apply to whatever texture you want.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

The instructions would change based on the software you are using, but the process is the same.

Dial in morphs then you would export the figure as an obj, or perhaps sent to hexagon if that is program of choice.

Using your 3d software adjust the UVs. Export as a new obj.

Inside of studio under the surfaces tab there is a button to import UV's. Select the obj you created that had the updated mapping. You should now have another option of UVs to use for that item(as in you can choose V4, V5 and CustomCurvyV5). im paraphrasing, but maybe this will help.

EDIT: just saying again, i'm guess this would work with genesis too because it works with props. not sure why it would be different. can't test at the moment.

better instructions here

Thank you. I'll give this a try later on, hopefully this weekend.