Target helper question

Is there a way to activate a target helper temporary during motion. As far as I know, a target helper takes over all the time. It is always there or not. If I add a target helper during a dance motion, I want to keep the standing feet locked on the floor. But during the whole dance the foot stays on the floor ruining my dance. There is an option "Animated" on the General tab, but that does not do anything. Is it not possible, or am I missing something.

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2017

I assume you are talking about using a target helper as an IK target (there are other ways to use them too). In the Modifiers/Inverse Kinetmatics panel (of the part that is linked to the target helper, probably a foot) there is a check box for "Enable Tracking" and this is keyframable, so you can (for example) have the foot linked to the target helper for the first second, uncheck the Enable Tracking and have it move freely for the next second or two, maybe move the target helper in this period to the next fixed foot position, and then re-enable tracking for the final part of the movement.  I hope this is the sort of thing that you were looking for.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

Yes. That was spot on. I knew it was possible somehow, because long ago I did it somehow. I looked for solutions under the IK Target helper and not the foot. Thanks very much. Now I can move on (without foot movement).

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    Pjotter said:

Now I can move on (without foot movement).

laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    PhilW said:

I assume you are talking about using a target helper as an IK target (there are other ways to use them too). In the Modifiers/Inverse Kinetmatics panel (of the part that is linked to the target helper, probably a foot) there is a check box for "Enable Tracking" and this is keyframable, so you can (for example) have the foot linked to the target helper for the first second, uncheck the Enable Tracking and have it move freely for the next second or two, maybe move the target helper in this period to the next fixed foot position, and then re-enable tracking for the final part of the movement.  I hope this is the sort of thing that you were looking for.

Wow, is that ever cool!

I still haven't used this... just haven't had to. Nice to know this stuff for when I do, though!

Thanks both of you! Pjotter for asking, PhilW for answering! ;)