Strange NLA Track problem

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow!

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi,

Great you like my Channel :)

The IK animation experience I didn't like was in Poser.

IK in Poser is a bit different, that's true. It works without an IK Target. In Carrara, you always need one. If you disable IK in Poser, it will automatically calculate the rotations of the limbs. Sometimes, this is cool, sometimes it's not :) / In general, the usability and the overall quality of Poser isn't really good. And the German translation has been done by a 10 year old school kid. They should really listen to the community and write it again from scratch. It's so obvious crying

BTW: Have you tried Genesis 3 in Carrara?

Best wishes,
    Thomas

edited February 2017
    ThomasSc said:

BTW: Have you tried Genesis 3 in Carrara?

Not me. I only dabble with Genesis and Genesis 2... I still like M4, V4 and family. 

Misty has done some work to make it (Genesis 3 in Carrara) work... details are spead around but I think much of it is around page 30 of this:

virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Wendy has also found a way to do it using some crazy methods.

I do really like Genesis and Genesis 2, but the Generation 4 figures seem to work more smoothly and faster for me.

Here's one of my Genesis 1 characters I am using

and here's a Genesis 2 Female character I'm not using

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2017

Yeah... I really liked using Poser until I started using Carrara!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Lovely G1 guy! I find Genesis1 very versatile figure so far. Dart, would you be so kind to describe me how do you usually paint your character with texture in Carrara? Especially I wonder how to paint seams so that they become unnoticeable.  

Vyusur said:

Lovely G1 guy! I find Genesis1 very versatile figure so far. Dart, would you be so kind to describe me how do you usually paint your character with texture in Carrara? Especially I wonder how to paint seams so that they become unnoticeable.  

I haven't mastered that. Seems are tough. For characters, I still do my painting in a paint program. And I like Genesis 1 a lot myself... lot of wonderful possibilities!

So do I. For skin textures I use Affinity, Krita, Gimp. But photo editing software doesn't fit seams perfectly. Last couple of days I tried to explore Carrara's texture painting abilities. Maybe it's because of lack of skills in Carrara, but I can't get enough control over the painting process and to get desired result.

I know Project Dogwaffle isn't made to work on MacOS, but I really like how I can create my brush and store it into a panel on screen, and then rotate, scale, and otherwise tweak the brush. That can really help when working along seams. 

It's always difficult for me, which is why I've never continued to persue that field except for my own personal characters.

If I did get more into it, I was thinking that 3D Coat would be a fun application to try for that. But I wonder how those new brush tools work in Blender for seams?

I wonder if they are all still difficult to get good results on seams?

The first time I started exploring texturing figures (mainly to figure out seams! LOL) I bought some nice texture maps and explored them. I really liked the maps' promo pages for the high-detail in the skin textures. The way both of them did seams was to slightly blur along the seams and match them up with a more uniform hue sort of thing. I was amazed at this! I don't see this much anymore though. 

Daz3d texture artists are amazing and they use high-end technology like 3D sanners and the like, and they take their UV Mapping very seriously - and I think that they're incredible at it - personally. 

I watch behind-the-scenes documentaries all the time, and see that ILM texture artists use those wonderful Cintiq tablet monitors to paint on. They photograph an employee or a model and use those images to select their brushes from as they tediously paint textures from their UV Coordinates maps - other times I've seen them paint right on the model.

That new Pixar method doesn't use UV Maps at all, so there are no seems. The new method can be used in 3D Coat and is only useful if the artist paints directly onto the 3d mesh. Since it's a coordinate mapping system - pixels to polygons - I imagine that the textures would work no matter the rendering software?

Here is my character made by me from scratch and painted – all in Blender only. All seams fit perfectly. If you work on your own character – no problem with UVs and painting. But if one wants to paint on DS figure, one has to work with default UVs and can't change them. And I can't particularly figure out how to paint on different UV maps at the same time in this program.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 3.39.15 PM.png
    1212 x 1036 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 3.40.08 PM.png
    1268 x 1038 - 2M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Vyusur said:

Here is my character made by me from scratch and painted – all in Blender only. All seams fit perfectly. If you work on your own character – no problem with UVs and painting. But if one wants to paint on DS figure, one has to work with default UVs and can't change them. And I can't particularly figure out how to paint on different UV maps at the same time in this program.

Hello Vyusur

You might need a program like Blacksmith3D which is available at Renderosity. They have a trial version that you can try out as well.

Nice work on the cat character.

Regards, Bunyip

edited February 2017
    Vyusur said:

Yeah... cool Character!

Hmmm... in the Texture tab, we can only set one domain, eh? It's been a while. I'll have to have a look when I get home.

I'm wondering if we can Cmd/Select or Shift/Select multiple domains in the texture tab? I guess I doubt it.

This is an older image I made to answer a question, but it shows the texture tab, and setting up which domain to create a map for

and then here is me painting eyeliner on my Girl 6 character

Create Texture Map.jpg
    1684 x 998 - 715K
    Image 3.jpg
    1678 x 1024 - 942K

I think that, if we have soft enough brush edges, and a good UV map (like on Daz figures) we should be able to paint the edges okay... I'll check it out.

edited February 2017

Oh... and FYI, holding cmd + left-click drag (I think?) is how we can quickly set the size of the brush on the fly. I think it's left-click.

This shows some of the standard brushes that come with Carrara, but check out my list... I've also got all of Ringo's as well as GKDantas' Ron's Scratches brushes too. I was planning on making more too.

But I have to say, the ones that come with Carrara are pretty darned good.

Select Paint Texture.jpg
    1684 x 998 - 765K
    Bunyip02 said:
    Vyusur said:

Hello Vyusur

You might need a program like Blacksmith3D which is available at Renderosity. They have a trial version that you can try out as well.

Nice work on the cat character.

Regards, Bunyip

Thank you very much, Bunyip! I'll take a look at Blacksmith3d.

edited February 2017

Thank you, Dart! I've just installed this thing but dunno how to use it. BTW, I saw your video about how you painted Rosie's eyes a while ago. That is why I asked you about Carrara's texture painting.

Post edited by Vyusur on
    Vyusur said:

Thank you, Dart! I've just installed this thing but dunno how to use it. BTW, I saw your video about how you painted Rosie's eyes a while ago. That is why I asked you about Carrara's texture painting.

It works nicely... it's just a little difficult when first trying it - kind of like the first times in the UV editor. It gets smoother and easier as we get used to it and, like many of the hidden gems of Carrara, can be an excellent addition to the workflow - unless, of course, we already have something else that we like using.

There are line tools and such that work great for props and such too. Like I say, when I get home I'll check out how nice it works on edges of characters with a soft pen. Sometimes we have to get the brush small enough so it isn't interfering with other parts of the mesh

edited February 2017

Here we go, but instead of continuing here, I'm starting a new thread

Sorry for derailing ;)

Nice Genesis figures :)

To finalize this thread with an answer to the initial question, here it is: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/creating_morph_controlled_morphs/start

Yeah. Finally solved it by the method described above. Used Hexagon to fix the eyes. However, I had to export it as OBJ and import it then into DazStudio (scale = 1000 %) to make it work.

Thank you, ThomasSc, for the link. It's extremely interesting and useful.

You're welcome :)

edited February 2017
    ThomasSc said:

Yeah. Finally solved it by the method described above. Used Hexagon to fix the eyes. However, I had to export it as OBJ and import it then into DazStudio (scale = 1000 %) to make it work.

Actually, we can send from DS into Hexagon - do the fix - then send it back into DS as a morph. Works like a charm!

This image shows sending back to DS from Hexagon, and that we Right-Click values in the right column of Morph Loader Pro to bring up the menu to change values.

However, when we first go File > Send to Daz Studio from Hexagon, the Morph Loader Pro dialog looks like this (below). We must click this little triangle to get the panel seen in the above image.

HexMorphCreation.jpg
    1219 x 977 - 506K
    HexCreateMorph.jpg
    869 x 845 - 191K

I like to use this method on Generation 4 figures to add my own morph target areas to figures, so that, in Carrara, I can add new morphs that cross rigged zones. In other words, I can make morphs on the whole figure instead of having to work separately on the head, then neck, then chest, etc.,

Wow! Thank you, Dart, for the screens. I didn't know about right clicking in MLP to change the value. But I am perplexed that menu in my DS program doesn't correspond to the article's menu. And I wonder, why I can't find exactly “property editor” rather than “property hierarchy”?

illus8.png
    900 x 646 - 196K
    2017-02-11_0939.png
    970 x 916 - 491K

I'm not super-savvy on Daz Studio, but I think it has something to do with being in "Edit" mode?

Like, select the figure and in some panel, right-click and enter Edit mode. I think it was the main panel like where we set rotations and such.

Here are some awesome "How tos" for DS: Josh Darling Videos

I can't check right now... gotta go to practice. But I think this video explains how to get into Edit mode, but I may have grabbed the wrong one. I know he tells us how somewhere

..back from practice, but have to leave again! Argh! What am I saying... invited out to eat is always fun! ;)

Anyways... practice was awesome! One more rehersal until our first official gig, although a private party, we've got our four hours of material nice and tight and sounding great!

We got to do this one, I'm playing drums and background vocals - the high harmonies... love it!!! My brother (bass player) and I grew up jamming Led Zeppelin together, so getting to play this one is a real treat for me ;)

Thank you so much, Dart, for the link. Josh Darling's channel is a treasure box for me.

Vyusur said:

Thank you so much, Dart, for the link. Josh Darling's channel is a treasure box for me.

Me too. ;)