tax refund time - camera recommendation?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I see a lot of threads discussing computer specs.  What about digital cameras? 

tax refund time - one option is to get a mid-range camera to assist in making my own shaders and texture maps.  No, I am not deluding myself that I would be taking pictures of a quality worthy of merchant resource shader packs for sale or distrbution.  On the other hand, I'd like to expand my collection of custom materials that I apply to my own models.  I'd like the results to appear of a quality of some generic Daz models when applied to my own models. Feel free to group cameras in classes of quality and price.

The other option is to spend an extra day watching baseball in Florida during Spring Training. 

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Perhaps this can help lead you in some kind of a direction?

The Best DSLR Cameras of 2017

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have a Cannon Rebel T2i which is 18Megapixel and is very good for what you are talking about so the T6 would likely be even better.

I have a Cannon Rebel T2i which is 18Megapixel and is very good for what you are talking about so the T6 would likely be even better.

So jealous = me!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thank you, Dart and Chickenman.  Will check 'em out.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

So jealous = me!!!

Got it for the wife a few years ago when it was new for christmas. have enjoyed it ever since.

Also does HD movies up to 12 Mins long

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I have a Canon EOS50D... a bit old now but great camera.. the rebel T2i looks great as well...depends how many $'s there is available, lots of kits at good prices going around.

Macro lense will be useful for close ups of fabrics and other textures.

You won't be sorry with a Canon I don't think.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited February 2017

Make sure it has exposure bracketing. That way you are more likely to get the correct tones.

A wide f stop (eg f/1.8) is unecessary as you'll be taking shots with lower f stops to keep a higher field of focus .

Also I'de highly recommend Oloneo HDR software even if you arent trying to make HDR images because of the amazing way it will tweak tones and details and saturation etc

I'm happy with a midrange olympus I bought but I see they no longer make it ....

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjzX6z2AiWs for a demo on the Oloneo

Post edited by Headwax on

Thank you for the suggestion.  Head wax, I have sent you a PM.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

pleasure , and thanks for taking over the duties !

head wax said:

Make sure it has exposure bracketing. That way you are more likely to get the correct tones.

A wide f stop (eg f/1.8) is unecessary as you'll be taking shots with lower f stops to keep a higher field of focus .

Also I'de highly recommend Oloneo HDR software even if you arent trying to make HDR images because of the amazing way it will tweak tones and details and saturation etc

I'm happy with a midrange olympus I bought but I see they no longer make it ....

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjzX6z2AiWs for a demo on the Oloneo

See? That's why I ask question in here too. This is the sort of advice I'd want when camera hunting... stuff like this!

Well... as well as the fine testimonials from Chickenman and Stezza too!

So jealous = me!!!

Got it for the wife a few years ago when it was new for christmas. have enjoyed it ever since.

Also does HD movies up to 12 Mins long

Plenty! I've daydreamed over just such a camera several times. One of these years! LOL

Stezza said:

I have a Canon EOS50D... a bit old now but great camera.. the rebel T2i looks great as well...depends how many $'s there is available, lots of kits at good prices going around.

Macro lense will be useful for close ups of fabrics and other textures.

You won't be sorry with a Canon I don't think.

Many photographers swear by them. That's the first brand I'd be looking at too. I like to keep my options open to other fine companies... but Canon has an amazing reputation.

• If you want to buy DSLR try to avoid buying kit lens if you can, they are usually made with cheaper materials and they are "slower", expecially if you gonna shoot the video, just for textures I suspect that phone camera is enough (that is what I use). I do have a Rebel XTI from my old photography days though, lenses can add up to the overall cost a lot ...smiley

• Not mid-range but a really nice camera is the Olympus 1S.  It's an all-in-one with up to 10X zoom and, best of all, 2.8f over the entire zoom range.  I still have one as a backup cam.  Some times it is much easier to grab and use than my newer cam.

I just bought an Olympus E-M10 Mark II.  Chose it because of the display: it tilts rather than flips out.  I love taking pics of my cats and the flip out display is a distraction that they tend to chew on.  Also, the tilt display is easy to hold, especially in the left hand, IMO.  The M1 Mark II looks awesome, and I can always get the body some day after I collect lenses, which can the same price as a body, or much more.

I added a couple of lenses at 2.8f and one at 1.8f (great for darker indoors shots).  Can still feel the hit on my bank account!  Oly has a couple of decent lenses that aren't so pricey that I jumped over.  One often goes on sale at Amazon for just over $100, has power zoom and macro.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Octane for Carrara has a 3D 360 camera that is missing in Carrara, to render for your HTC Vive VR headset...

Thank you each for these recommendations.  Very good information.

I'm happy for you. Few things can beat the smell of a new camera coming out of the box! ;)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited February 2017

hot fresh donuts maybe.. smiley

Post edited by Stezza on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Stezza said:

Hot buttered toast and fresh brewed coffee  also smell great when it's snowing or raining outside.

Chohole said:
    Stezza said:

Hot buttered toast and fresh brewed coffee  also smell great when it's snowing or raining outside.

Yes, while all of these things cannot be topped, due to their incredible aromas, the same applies to new books, table-top war game boxes, and cameras!