V4 vs V4.5 content updating?

danny_omaradanny_omara Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have searched high and low for a simple answer to this - here and elsewhere ... no luck.

I have updated from DAZ Studio V4.0 to V4.5 application and done some research into the new files and formats which I think I understand (a bit).

So here I am, with a lot of what is now called "Legacy" content installed (i.e.DAZ V4 or below) and checked my downloadable purchases - and I see, for example, I can download Victoria 5 "DSON" installers - which I have downloaded.

So my question is, should I run the "Legacy" Uninstallers to remove the "Legacy" content and then install the new DSON format products - or do I just run the new (DSON format) installers and things willl be taken care of?

I am a sort of a bit afraid that if I do not run the "Legacy Uninstallers" then I end up with two of everything?

I test it tomorrow - but I ask if someone might know already

Post edited by danny_omara on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

You're better off running the new installers for DS4.5 when you get new content. There's an issue with duplicate IDs on much of the older stuff.

Instead of replacing all my old stuff with the newer installers, I found, in my case, that it's simply easier for me to use the Fix Duplicate IDs script you can find in the freepository. (I think Richard Hasseline wrote that one, but I could be mistaken... in any event, thank you to whoever did...)

I've found that script to be a great time saver.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, you should run the legacy uninstallers to avoid having 2 of everything.

• danny_omaradanny_omara Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, you should run the legacy uninstallers to avoid having 2 of everything.

thank you

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    You're better off running the new installers for DS4.5 when you get new content. There's an issue with duplicate IDs on much of the older stuff.

Instead of replacing all my old stuff with the newer installers, I found, in my case, that it's simply easier for me to use the Fix Duplicate IDs script you can find in the freepository. (I think Richard Hasseline wrote that one, but I could be mistaken... in any event, thank you to whoever did...)

I've found that script to be a great time saver.

Never could quite figure out that script or how to get it to work.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

It's easy to use if you use the content libraries and not smart content. I have it enabled in a pulldown menu so I can access it fast. If you're in the content library, it'll open up the file folder where the offending file is and you simply click on that file and it gets fixed.