DS to Carrara cant find data directory

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

OK, so since I had a limitation of not being able to tweak dials after conforming in Carrara, I went to DS and loaded Genesis and got everything setup just right.

Now I save this as a DUF file.

Go to Carrara, and open it (either from Browser or from File->Open)

....and I get a very large dialog, "DSF messages"

Warning: file /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/Daz 3D/Base/PHMEyesClosedL.dsf could not be found

...but there is like 100 lines of all of these files that could not be found. All of those files are there. It's almost as if it is looking in the wrong data location? Anyone run into this? It then just fails to open.

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Here a shot of it...guess I'll report it to Daz. It's a 3d rock and a virtual hard place. Can't transform in Carrara, and cant import from DS where I can transform...hmmm

Carrara_DUF_Failure.jpg
    736 x 707 - 248K
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

OK, I found a workaround...save each scene item using Save As -> Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Asset

Then I can load them into Cararra one bby one, save into the browser and conform and setup at will.

Long way around, but works, and faster than waiting for Tech Support ..... who looks to have their hands full with reimbursing bad ex-PC club member charges.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I had/have the same issues. I just migrated to Carrara a short time ago.

But after finding that it was hit and miss as to whether I'd be able to import a full DS scene into Carrara, I stopped trying. There were a few characters that I imported in but for the most part I stopped and realized that the whole reason I'd moved to Carrara was to do things that I couldn't do in DS. So? I've started working on doing those things in Carrara.

For me, all of the Genesis morph stuff works which was really my biggest concern. The Genesis Expressions that I have, don't work. I sometimes get frustrated with some things that I used a lot in DS but that don't work very well in Carrara... this includes things like some of the Pure Hair, Genesis Scout, and ... well... lots of genesis related materials/textures that don't even display in the content/smart content of Carrara.

OTOH, I've also created some pictures that I would have been hard pressed to create in DS and I actually don't think I could have created them at all. Especially the outdoor and naval scenes... and those things were a big part of why I wanted to make the move. That and the modeling and texturing options.

I did find that to get a scene to port over, I had to kill all my lighting and cameras. Then I had to see if I was using anything that Carrara simply didn't like (like Ravenhair's GenMFD textures, the Genesis Beard, etc.) I'll have to try your workaround but at this point, I'm spending most of my time building new stuff directly in Carrara.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

An excellent tool for tracing perplexing issues involving file I/O or permissions is Process Monitor.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645