daz 4.5.1.6 pro 64 memory usage on Win 7 64

kurthurtkurthurt Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have daz 4.5.1.6 pro 64 memory usage on Win 7 64 but it doesn't seem to want to use more than a few gigs of ram. I have 8GB installed. and DAZ performance, I'd have thought, would improve with more memory.

I've run memtest and it scans all 8gb with no errors. Vista detects all 8gb and calls 7.85 useable (I assume this is normal; some is used for addressing and so forth.)

proc is a i5-2450

Is there a trick to make DAZ page less and keep more in ram?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

DS won't use memory for the sake of it - the amount it uses, when manipulating the scene, will reflect the geometry you have loaded and the number of textures (but it doesn't use the full textures, depending on your settings for the preview). You will probably see a jump when you start rendering, but again it won't just grab memory it doesn't need for the scene it is being asked to render.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As Richard states many things go into what it will use. Geom, textures and texture size, lighting used, Shadow setting and render Settings, then the Render size also comes into acoount. My largest render on a much the Same PC only took me to 78% of my 8Gb.

• kurthurtkurthurt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

but it does seem to need it. With a scene as simple as 2 genesis(es), I get lag when just rotating the camera.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you have memory available and DS is going to the pagefile...then that's something to do with Windows memory management and not something DS is controlling.

In XP you could change the behavior of Windows to allow/force apps to use physical memory first...I'm not sure if that's doable in Vista or later. But if Studio isn't using all the available RAM then it's Windows memory management at fault.

If you are getting viewport lag...then that's something else.

If 'Display optimization' is on, flip it to off. Also look at things like smoothing...

What video card do you have? AMD cards have been known to have OpenGL issues, one of which can be described as 'lag' in the viewport.

edited December 1969

It's a laptop with the 2450 above. It has integrated intel HD 3000 graphics.

I turned 'Display optimization’ off.

I also turned off "hardware anti-aliasing" and "backface lighting".

"texture resources" is set to "performance"

Pixel buffer is off.

multi-threading is on.

I only use a single viewport.

It's improved a little, but still not much.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

kurthurt said:
    It's a laptop with the 2450 above. It has integrated intel HD 3000 graphics.

'nuff said...OpenGL performance will NEVER be good...well, not quite never...but at least as long as it's running Windows it won't. The Intel OpenGL implementation on that chipset, frankly, sucks. Seriously, the only half-way decent OpenGL on that chipset I've ever seen is under Linux running the MESA drivers...and that was only 'acceptable', as opposed to 'outright sucks'.

The next improvement in viewport response will come by turning off smoothing until you are ready to render.

(No, I am not a fan of the Intel Graphics...)

edited December 1969

oic. my mistake was assuming that it was a ram problem. thanks.