No Edit > Replicate in C8 Pro Assemble Room?

UserZeroUserZero Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Can anyone confirm?

The 'current' User Guide states: "You can replicate complete objects in the Assemble room. You can also replicate portions of an object (selected polygons, for example) in the Model room. ... Choose the Edit > Replicate. The Replicate dialog appears."

I don't find an Edit > Replicate menu item when in the Assemble Room, with an object selected - I only see that menu item available when in the Model Room.

Is my install wonky, or is the manual wrong?

TIA!

Post edited by UserZero on

Comments

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

Hello,

You need to first be in vertex edit mode. In Assemble room, Select the object-> click the little spanner (Edit vertex object: icon) top left . It will then allow edit-> replicate. (If the spanner icon is not enabled, you will probably have to convert the object to a vertex object first)

• UserZeroUserZero Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

You need to first be in vertex edit mode.

Thanks Steve! That worked. Sure would be nice if there was some mention of that in the User Guide's section on "Replicating Objects or Selections".

Looks like it was a waste of time though, as it appears there's no rational scaling relationship between the Replicate Dialog offsets and the assemble room grid system.

That is, when I place a vertex object that is 6'' high and 6'' wide, and input 0.5ft (i.e., 6'') into the Replicate Dialog offsets for X & Z in the assemble room, the replicated objects end up separated by several feet, instead of being stacked diagonally at 6'' offsets(e.g., like stairs). Oh well.

cheers!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

UserZero said:
    You need to first be in vertex edit mode.

Thanks Steve! That worked. Sure would be nice if there was some mention of that in the User Guide's section on "Replicating Objects or Selections".

Looks like it was a waste of time though, as it appears there's no rational scaling relationship between the Replicate Dialog offsets and the assemble room grid system.

That is, when I place a vertex object that is 6'' high and 6'' wide, and input 0.5ft (i.e., 6'') into the Replicate Dialog offsets for X & Z in the assemble room, the replicated objects end up separated by several feet, instead of being stacked diagonally at 6'' offsets(e.g., like stairs). Oh well.

cheers!

The units in the Replicate dialog seem to be messed up.
    Divide your desired measurement by 12, and it should work. A 1 foot offset would be entered as 0.083333. In your example, a 0.5 ft offset would be entered as 0.041667.

replicate.png
    899 x 766 - 110K
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    The units in the Replicate dialog seem to be messed up.

Heh. To say the least!

Thanks, I did figure this out after some head-scratching, beginning with why the X offset defaults to '0.08'. ;-)

I'm just surprised that this is so obviously broken. Seems like Replicate would be a pretty commonly-used feature, and that this bug would have been reported/fixed long before now.

Thanks again!!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Did you put in a report to the bug tracker?

edited December 1969

I did.