Our own Carrara R&D and Science Division!

Very special thnks to all of the wonderful folks whom have put outstanding effort into adding to this wonderful software to make it better and better - and more formidable for us Carrara users and all of our vastly varied reasons for using it.

In no particular order, here are some immediate highlight that come to mind in the limited time I have right now:

Plugin Developers

Thanks to our friend, Jay Nola, we have this wonderful compendium of available plugins for Carrara - each of which make a really big difference to what we can do directly within the software!

► Carrara Plugins FAQ & Information - By Jay_NOLA
Jay compilled and organized a great measure of info regarding Plugins specific to our
beloved Carrara. FAQ, Information and Links to help you determine which are right for you. Thank You Jay_NOLA!

Brand new to Carrara is an amazing set of app + plugin for creating dynamics for either animations or natural drapes or other effects for still images. Brand new and developed by a pair of true Die Hard Wonderful people with a passion to see this set grow and get better - even though it's already running some amazing power! Here's the thread:

Dynamic cloth + related Carrara plugins - Best Practices, Tips and Renders

Thanks to the awesome developers as well as the passionate users - constantly pushing the bar on using it!

HeadWax even made a structure and draped a plane over it and added a Terrain Shader to the plane to create this crazy experiment!

Within Jay's FAQ, above, 

Frederick Ribble has toiled away and brought to us the wonderful PyCarrara and PyCloid. With his permission, I've compiled a playlist of his brief and wonderful demo videos. Enjoy!

PyCloid Demos

Here's the first video in the list, just as a teaser

With all respect, f1oat3d, I love you man!

Well then our friend Fractal Dimensia developed his own PySwarm for PyCarrara a really interesting (and fun!!!) Flocking behavioral plugin using PyCarrara and some clever scripting. It's really quite the thing!

Too much to explain in short, this cool little video is an early test, basically set objects can follow something and we can include the camera as a follower as well. There's a lot more to it and it's really quite simple, yet flexible to set up the way he has it built for us!

He gives an excellent tutorial two-part series as well. Fantastic work!

An excerpt from the Learning Carrara thread

...in the meantime, let's talk for a moment about modeling. 

When I first started thinking about buying Carrara, the 'word' was that Carrara's Vertex Modeler wasn't quite up-to-snuff - so I didn't take it all that seriously. The fact that Carrara did have modeling and model editing capabilities along with its uncanny ability to load in Poser-format figures, is what drew me toward it in the first place. The other great stuff that Carrara can do was just a bunch of cool bonus features to me.

I always used the vertex modeler to reshape conforming clothing and hair, etc., to work with the custom shaped characters I've been making. And it does that very, Very well! I even made special morphs for adding wind and other movements to my clothes and hair - and then even special shaping morphs to add dynamic realism to my characters themselves!

Once I actually started putting my modeling skills to work in Carrara, I was completely amazed that the 'word' was that Carrara's Vertex Modeler wasn't quite up-to-snuff!!! Everything just works as expected - at least for the most part. For something as vast and versatile as what Carrara is, I think that its modeling tools are nothing short of spectacular! Sure, there are requests open that haven't been implemented... granted. There are things that other modeling software does that it doesn't... agreed. But any time I need to make a model, I have absolutely NO problems building one!

As a matter of fact, these other modelers cannot work with Daz 3d figures as we would expect to use them in Poser or Daz Studio. Being able to do that in Carrara gives us a LOT more power towards making models that support other figures - especially when combined with either Daz Studio's Content Creation Tools or Poser's (I think... haven't tried Poser in quite some time) Content utilities. For example, we don't need to export (from DS or Poser) special OBJs to create special morphs. We can simply load the correct figure, apply the expected morphs, and model accordingly - then export our modeling job as an OBJ for use with the Content Creation Tools or other utilities! It's very dynamic and comfortable!

So anyways, in my adventures within these Carrara Discussion Forums, I've discovered that I am certainly not alone in really enjoying my modeling experiences in Carrara. So I'm going to add some links here to some really cool modeling threads that currently exist - just so that you, too, can see how much fun and success others are having:

Polygon Modeling, Post your creations! Learn and share experiences - many pages long!

Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All - Adventures of modeling of all sorts and types!

Using Formulas in Carrara - Fun with Formulae!!!    Wendy's GIF on right >>>>

with a cool caveat HERE

weight painting and rigging issues excellent notes from the mind of diomede64!

Projection Mapping

Sculpting alternatives in Carrara 8 Pro

I need a screw

Low Poly Modelling for Game Mods      another GIF by Wendy >>>

WIP - English Town Hall / Square - an adventure in modeling by our very own

Tango Alpha before he became published by Daz3d!

How to create a Triangle Primitive in Carrara? - FUN!

5 ways to fix poke through without using conforming clothes! An informative tutorial by diomede64

Does anyone use Carrara for Modeling? 

Export and paint UVmap - workflow - how to do it…

Separate Materials on Polygon selections

- For professional courses to purchase:

Modeling in Carrara with the help of Phil Wilkes

...and mmoir has a good one as well below

Another excerpt from that thread:

wgdjohn just reminded me (in his modeling thread, which I'll get to in a second) about the fine tutorials by Dimension Theory, whom used to be VERY active among the Carrara user group. 

Dimension Theory Video Tutorials on YouTube       <<<< Click here to go to his Tutorials Playlist

For your entertainment, however, have a look at some of the non-tutorial eye candy he's done for us: (these are all very short, and very worth watching!!! So Cool!)

Essence of Irradiance

Carrara Volumetric Smoke 

Mechanized

Destruct/Manifest

Psy-Cube

Rainbow Balls of Death HD

NPVHQ

Player Piano made with Displacement Maps

Light as Substance

All we are is Dust

Enjoy!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Eventually I'd really like to do article-style write-ups for the plugins I know from other sources, like Sparrowhawke and DCG, kinda like this. Anyone who has some great info to share above any of these (or other) incredible tools, feel free to do a write-up!

Here's one I did for Fenric's Tools that I own:

Fenric's Tools

I am putting some of these tools to Constant use, while others I still need to explore more - as with many things in Carrara, both things that are included in Carrara Pro as well as after-market supplements. All in all, however, when I was going from laptop to desktop to my home-built workstation I ended up reinstalling Carrara a few times and, each time, if I tried messing around in Carrara before installing my Fenric tools, Carrara just didn't feel right. Fenric has certainly played a huge role in helping me to achieve my goals.

Shader Power Tools - is a combination of many of the tools he sold via his site at prices too low to be sold here at Daz 3d. Bundling them together makes for a beautiful pile of very useful Carrara utilities! It includes the following tools previously sold in his (now closed) store: 

• Shader Doctor
    • Skin Doctor
    • Advanced Shader Tweaker
    • Multi-Shader Editor
    • Layer Blending Shader
    • Enhanced Color Balance Shader
    • Enhanced Color Merge Shader

I use the Advanced Shader Tweaker quite often, but really have to spend some time to get to know and use the others in this pack. They're all very helpful, useful utilities - it just takes me breaking away from old habits and looking at new/different ways of looking at shaders.

BVH/PZ2 Exporter for Carrara - If this didn't exist, neither would my Swordworks for M4 or AnimationKit for Mil Dragon 2, since I made the animations in Carrara and used this tool to get them into PZ2 files, and then bringing those into DS to create the aniBlocks - which is a fine workflow. Very useful tool, it doesn't work for Triax rigging. But for recording any animations for any Poser-format models, this thing is incredibly powerful! 

• Exports Static Poser format Pose File (PZ2)
    • Exports Animated Poser format Pose File (PZ2)
    • Exports Poser compatible BioVision Animation File (BVH)
    • Configurable Operation
      • Choose whether to include or exclude:
        • Overall Motion (global translation)
        • Joint Rotation
        • Morph Dial Settings
        • Joint Scaling (independent X, Y, and Z parameters)
      • Configure start and end frame range for animated poses

Pose Helper for Carrara - Again, unfortunately this doesn't work on Genesis or other Triax figures - but I LOVE this tool! So nice to be able to swap pose directions > send left to right, right to left, along with everything else that it does. Being that I still enjoy using Generation 4 and other Poser Format figures (also works with native figures, primitives, etc.,) I find myself using this handy device quite a lot.

•  Left / Right Pose Symmetry based on scene element names
    • Morph Zeroing
    • Pose Zeroing
    • Rotation Setting
    • Scale Zeroing
    • Scale Setting
    • General Scene Option Setting
    •  
    • Full undo/redo support
    • Works on content, native figures, and groups of primitives
    • Works across multiple figures and groups

​Carrara Enhanced Remote Control - Here we go! This bad boy is truly amazing! Faba (fabaone at ShareCG) has some very helpful tutorials and helper (controler) objects at ShareCG, and PhilW teaches us how to use this to let one aileron of an Biplane model control all the other ailerons and the wires that connect them! Really cool! That's in his Advanced Carrara Techniques course via Infinite Skills.

This tool is best explained by the creator himself:

Details

Control a Value
    ..... With a Value
    .........From any object in your scene!

The Enhanced Remote Control suite is a set of behavior modifiers and scene commands that work together to add much needed functionality and control to your animation workflow. It provides the basic functionality of Poser's ERC for creating joint-controlled movement within Carrara. But it also provides so much more, giving you the building blocks to rapidly create advanced, realistic animation.

Control them all: Shaders, light values, position, rotation, morph settings - even other modifiers!

Contains

• Commands
      • Add ERC Modifier
      • Create ERC Chain
      • Add Pin Modifier
      • Delete Keyframes
      • Remove Duplicate Keyframes
      • Jitter Keyframes
      • Change Morph Limits
      • Property Explorer
    • Modifiers
      • Pin
      • ERC

Features

• Add ERC Modifier and Add Pin Modifier allow you to add the modifiers to the joints of imported Poser figures, which are otherwise locked out of having 3rd party modifiers added.
    • Create ERC Chain allows you to create a chain of basic ERC modifiers. The objects in the chain do not have to be children in the tree!
    • Delete Keyframes gives you the ability to do a “deep delete” of all of the current keyframes for an object. Set the scene time to the keyframe to be deleted, and select one or more objects to clear. You will be presented with a choice of “Selected Figure” (the default), where every item in each selected animation group will have the current keyframe cleared. “Selected and Children” where only the selected subtrees will be cleared, and “Selected Only”, where only the topmost selected items will be cleared.
    • Remove Duplicate Keyframes analyzes the timelines of the selected items. Any keyframe that is identical to both the preceeding and following frames will be deleted. You will be presented with a choice of “Selected Figure” (the default), where every item in each selected animation group will have the current keyframe cleared. “Selected and Children” where only the selected subtrees will be cleared, and “Selected Only”, where only the topmost selected items will be cleared.
    • Jitter Keyframes operates on the currently selected keyframes. They will be randomly moved forward or back in time within the limits specified, adding realism to your animation.
    • Change Morph Limits allows you to select a morph target and change the minimum and maximum allowed levels. Use this to stop the irritating “snap-back” behavior of morphs on imported Poser content when you attempt to enter a number that is out of range.
    • The Property Explorer is there because sometimes it can be difficult to guess what you are trying to do with the ERC modifier. The Property Explorer can help guide you by showing you a list that contains the same set of properties as are available in the ERC setup. Clicking on a property will display its current value, and you have the ability to set a new value by entering it in the “New Value” box and clicking “Update”.
    • The Pin Modifier attempts to fix the location of an item in XYZ space. It cannot override the motion of parent items, so it is a best-effort lock rather than an absolute one.
    • The Enhanced Remote Control Modifier is the main feature of the product. It allows you to drive any animateable parameter using another parameter as the controller. It is philosophically similar to the ERC facility in Poser, but it is far more powerful. The Carrara ERC modifier can accept any object in your scene as the source of the controller: other figures, lights, cameras, helpers – allowing for limitless combinations. You can even set up your own animation UI with helper objects! and Create dynamic special effects!
      In addition to the normal value operations, it also provides:
      • Late Start: you do not have to start the control at keyframe zero! Specify your starting time.
      • Cut Off: you do not have to try to work around the control for your entire scene – make it stop when you want it to!
      • Delay: Similar to late start, Delay prevents the control from happening for a given number of keyframes. Unlike late start, Delay remembers what should have happened and plays it back!This is quite simply indispensable for realistic animation of tails, ropes, and chains!
      • Decay: you can cause the control to decay over time, becoming less and less.
      • Grow: you can cause the control to be amplified over time, getting larger and larger.
      • Oscillate: you can set the amount of the control to oscillate over time
    • Absolute Mode: In absolute mode, the value of the control is used at the point in time it is needed, and the value being controlled is directly modified. The figure being controlled should start at zero pose for best results.
    • Relative Mode: In relative mode, the difference in the value of the control from the value it had when the ERC modifier first started working to the value at the current time is used, rather than the exact value. This allows you to do some manual posing of the figure being controlled
    • Name That Modifier: You can specify a title for the ERC Modifier, overriding the default of “ERC” so that you can easily keep track of which is which after you have added multiple copies of the ERC modifier to the same object.

This is one of those that I really need to practice using more! This thing is awesome! 

Pose and Shading Tools 2 - Again... I need to sit down and play with these. I bought this because I know that I will love using these systems, I just have to take the time to dig in and try them! 

• Pose Transfer Command The main feature, this command will copy rotation, scaling, and transform between different characters. The copy is by joint name, so you can cross between Gen3, Gen4, Smith Micro, and even custom figures if they're named the same way. Copies morph settings between instances of the same character, too! Copies ANIMATION in both standard keyframe mode (faster) and "bake" mode which will capture Physics, ERC, motion path, and IK related movements. Additionally, it includes the ability to invert the value - great for mirroring movements. THERE IS NO UNDO!
    •  
    • Stack Tweener Ever wish you could oscillate along the bezier spline? This will let you! Stack up to six different sub-tweeners with configurable percentage weight for blending. Need more than six? Just stack in another stack!
    •  
    • Clear Timeline Command I gave you a "deep" delete with ERC, now here's its brother: Select a keyframe or tweener, and this command will clear out the entire timeline that it is sitting on. THERE IS NO UNDO!
    •  
    • TowardAway Shader Ever wanted to shade the two sides of a polygon different colors? With this simple shader, you can. White when the normal is pointing toward the camera, black when it is pointing away - this is great for simulating linings in clothing (which is nearly always one-sided).
    •  
    • Color Balance Shader Is that texture map just a tad on the green side? Colors too vibrant? Have a great prodecural stack that's just a bit too dim? This simple shader lets you adjust R, G, B, H, S, V values of the color result of a sub-shader.
    •  
    • Color Separation Shader So suppose you want just one channel out of the available color? This separation has two modes: pure, which will extract the red, green, or blue channels. And greyscale, which will give a greyscale representation of Red, Green, Blue, Alpha, Hue, Luminosity, and Saturation. Optionally adjust the brightness of the extracted layer, and even invert the value.
    •  
    • Color Merge Shader The opposite of Color Separation, this shader allows you to build a new color based on the input of four sub shaders - one for each channel (RGBA or HLSA)

MDD File Format for Carrara - This is the one Fenric Tool that I do not (yet) own.

Details

Lightwave Motion Designer Data (MDD) File Format Filter for Carrara

Bring Carrara fully into your animation work-flow!

This plugin provides both import and export support for the Lightwave Motion Designer/Point Oven (MDD) file format. MDD is rapidly emerging as an industry standard for animation data exchange between 3D applications by pairing a standard wavefront Object (OBJ) file with a frame-based description of the animation for that object.

This plugin opens the doors to animation by enabling Carrara to both import and export the OBJ/MDD file pairing.

What's Included and Features

Supported Platforms

Carrara 7: Windows, Macintosh
    Carrara 8: Windows (32, 64), Macintosh (PPC, Intel32, Intel64)

Features

Export

Any object can be exported. On export, a pair of files will be created with the same name and different file extensions: an OBJ and an MDD. It will have material definitions, but no shading, grouping, or normals. Textures are not exported.

You may need to scale and/or rotate the resulting file in your destination application.

Import

Two files are required with the same name but different extensions: an OBJ and an MDD. The importer will import the OBJ, and will preserve materials but will remove any groups and normals. Textures are not imported. The MDD will be imported as a sequence of morphs, one per frame, and the importer will place keyframes to turn the morphs on and off. IMPORTANT: You need your default tweener set to "linear", or you must convert the tweeners to "linear" before using the animation. Otherwise, the animation will be badly distorted.

You may need to scale and/or rotate the figure to match your scene.

Also includes
    - Presets to assist with import from/export to various popular 3D package
    - Facility to save and load custom presets

Posing Pack 3 - Here it is! There was a discussion going on just the other day about changing the visibility of an entire hierarchy chain being a pain in the butt! This plugin (I totally forgot about that function) has that capability and a whole lot more! I use this thing CONSTANTLY!

This thing adds Tree Duplicate to the list of "Edit > Fenric" commands, which allows us to essentially duplicate things which cannot be duplicated! Instead of actual duplication, these Tree Duplicates are their own instances or separate figures, not the memory-saving instances we get from duplicated props and simple objects. But it makes it so we can get exact copies of - yes - Figures!!! So useful for vehicles, rigged building figures, even character figures. It basically (and quickly) pretends to add whatever is selected into the browser (without adding it to the browser) and drags it back into the scene - really fast! But wait... there's a lot more!

This also adds the aforementioned Unlock Figure and Restore Figure! Wanna add a custom morph zone into a locked figure? Unlock it - change it - Restore it! Yup!

We also get the Set Figure Visibility command which, as I've started this tool's description with, allows us to hide entire chains of hierarchy within a figure with a single click! I gotta tell John and Misty!!!

It also adds Change Rotation, which is a command which will go through the whole figure and change ALL of the joint rotations from Carrara's default Quaternion to Angles! So if you've ever loaded in a figure that ends up looking like it's tied in a knot as soon as you start working with it, you now know how to fix it! :)

Details

The Posing Toolkit 3 gives you the power you need to get your work done, unlocking and enabling a number of critical features that allow you to tap into the awesome potential of Carrara!

Have you ever set up the perfect background figure: clothes, hair, accessories, got everything all set and then remembered that Carrara just won't let you duplicate it? Oh, the menu option is there, teasing you - but it's disabled! The Replicator just won't cut it: you need individual poses! Enter the Tree Duplicator: duplicate anything and everything that can be selected in the scene tree!

You've got a nifty new bit of conforming clothing, but there aren't any morph areas! Morphing a posed figure is great, but you need to be able to set the stuff up, right? The new Unlock Figure command opens up the power locked away behind those greyed out menu options. (And you can put things back to the way Carrara expects with the Restore Figure command)

Sometimes, you've just got to hide things! But clicking the awkwardly-located "Visible" checkbox on imported content can be a chore. Just imagine hiding a hand with the fingers... oy! The new Set Figure Visibility command will do the hard work for you, activating or deactivating an entire chain of body parts with the click of a button.

Do rotation options have your custom figures spinning around? Or are Carrara's defaults turning your people into pretzels? Carrara's default "Quarternion" controller is powerful, but also incompatible with just about everything. The Change Rotation command comes to the rescue, changing everything from a single joint to an entire skeleton to the much more compatible "Angles" controller.

What's Included and Features

• Five new scene commands
      • Tree Duplicator
      • Unlock Figure
      • Restore Figure
      • Change Rotation
      • Set Figure Visibility

If you're wondering about any of these, please ask! I may know what you need to know - if not, I might be able to find out ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

love it, thanks Dart!

head wax said:

love it, thanks Dart!

My pleasure ;)

Of course, we can go on and on with such a subject. 

Let's take a look at the R&D side from our forum members. There's a LOT of examples everywhere we look. One of many that has really changed the way I do things is Phil Wilkes thread about his research into Gamma Correction = 2.2 being a magic switch built into Carrara for a linear workflow - something that's immensely popular now and being used in every single new PBR engine I know of - and it's been in Carrara for ages!

Linear Workflow - Gamma Coorection = 2.2 - a long thread lead by Mr. Phil Wilkes

He then took his heavy studies further and Infinite Skills published his results, also through our own Daz3d store!

Realism Rendering - is a journey through Phil's extensive research on getting realistic results with Carrara's native render engine. He does a wonderful comparison between images rendered via LuxRender's PBR via Luxor and those rendered in Carrara's native Photo-Realistic engine using knowledge gained from his research into "Linear Workflow" practices.

My rendering habits have forever changed after taking this course. 

Like all of his courses, this one doesn't skimp on education or entertainment. Phil is perfect at delivering a good solid foundation of skills needed to really understand Carrara, which gives each of us something special according to how we use it.

He covers the intricacies of indoor lighting and rendering, along with a bonus tip of a very ingenious method of making quick models to fill the scene - even if you don't model! I don't want to ruin the surprise, so I can't tell you what it is... It's cool, though and it works great!

Building shaders for realism, setting good default rendering and scene settings, exterior scenes, human portrait rendering, and a wealth of information about all of the various light types available to us. He takes us through shading a model of a car to stunning results, he takes a simple scene from Carrara's native browser and, by creating all new shaders, lighting and environment elements, turns the thing into a masterpiece - with added post work examples in PhotoShop! A real treat, this course is!

Yes... everybody runs Carrara in different ways. We have our favored methods, we have our own agendas and workloads and workflows... 

Phil's lessons aren't so much: "This is what you do", but more "Do this and this will happen", which adds to our overall knowledge, which makes us all better at whatever we do when we sit behind Carrara.

So I'd like to take this time to very respectfully thank my instructor for immensely increasing the rush that I feel when I do what I do in Carrara...

Thank you, Phil Wilkes

You Totally ROCK!!!

Love ya, my friend and mentor!

Here is a very complete video tutorial series that explains a full workflow, explaining the whys and how-tos along the way, making it very easy to understand, follow, and remember for future projects. Thank you Jonstark for this awesome series:
    ►►► Creating realistic Carrara hair for animations and still renders - By Jonstark

Want a free proxy shroud for V4?

Low Poly Conforming Dynamic Hair Collider for V4 (with morphs) - by stringtheory9

jonstark has also stepped off into working up building a render farm "on the cheap" as a hobby and, as a good reporter, posted his endeavors for us all to discuss with him

Building my own little render farm on the cheap

which lead to his creating this thread

Carrara not using all of my render nodes! Solved!

Along those lines, in a way, I've written these articles a while back - some folks might find them useful. Keep in mind that they were written before Octane and Luxrender, etc., and are written according to using my favorite render engine ever: Carrara's Native Render Engine

► Carrara & Computers

► How to Build Your Own Carrara Workstation

Perhaps someone would enjoy adding some links to their own favorite engines with links to their threads and, perhaps, a few words about whay they like about it?

Misty has been experimenting with all manner of things in her thread - and lately she's been unlocking a outside-the-box method for getting Genesis 3 into Carrara 8.5! Crazy Stuff that!

virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

and all the Cripeman video tutts on u tubes.  
    unlocked the mystery of motion paths and putting fountains in particle emitters, wacky wild stuff that.

MistyMist said:

and all the Cripeman video tutts on u tubes.  
    unlocked the mystery of motion paths and putting fountains in particle emitters, wacky wild stuff that.

Agreed! Here are some, just for a teaser!

Cripeman Tutorials Index

The Cripeman has been soaring Carrara skies for years now, and has been faithfully saving humanity through his imaginative advice on how we can get Carrara to do what we need it to do. If you're new to using Carrara, the Cripeman's tutorial collection can direct you through many aspects of the software. Personally, I enjoy each and every one and have watched most of them more than once - and I hope that the Cripeman keeps this up... forever!

It can be a little daunting trying to find what you're looking for by simply navigating YouTube. Also, I feel that his advice and pleasant teaching techniques would be the perfect addition to a Living Carrara User's Manual.
    Because of this, and with his permission, I have compiled a fully linked list of all of his tutorials to date. I'll try to keep my eyes open for new ones and add them accordingly. If you notice that one is missing, or if you feel that one (or more) link should belong in a different category in the list, please let me know. But this is a rather large endeavor, so please be patient.
    Enjoy!

Carrara Features

Thoughts on Genesis in Carrara 8.5

Preferences

Global Illumination

Glare, Blur, and 3d Aura

Backdrop and Background

The Ocean Primitive

Carrara Terrains

Volumetric Clouds

Metaballs

Tree Tour

Playing with Fire

3D Paint

Displacement Mapping

Dynamic Hair

Making a Skullcap in Poser

Guide Hair Styling

Shader Hair Styling

Razor Stubble / Hair Domains

Plant Primitive

Trees on Terrain

Tree Rustling

Making a Christmas Tree Using the Plant Modeler

Lighting and Rendering

Basic Lighting

Light Gels

Rendering with Alpha Channels

Creating Lights From Textures Using Anything Glows

Interactive Renderer

How to Make a Blueprint Style Render

3 Point Lighting

Fingers of God Effect

Neon Using Anything Glows

Generate HDR Images for Carrara

Particles and Physics

Intro to Physics in Carrara

Let it Snow

Making Your Own Particles

Particle Creation Menu

Particle Shaders

Particle Creation with Particle Shaders

Sequential Particles

Fountain Tricks

Setting up Particle Emitter for Forces

Shapes as Emitters

Writing with the Particle Emitter

Force Control

Forces Tour

Modeling a Chain (Physics Chain 1)
    Physics Chain 2

Making Steam

Shaders

Natural Shaders

Making Windows Shader for a Distant Skyline

SSS vs Glow

Seeing Through Transparency

Toon Shading

How to Make a Fake Planet

Rust

Terrain Shading

Animation

Special Presentation: Eadweard Muybridge - Grandfather of Animation

Creating Motion Paths

Creating a Wing Flap Animation

Intro to Bones

Bones Influence

Making a Logo Flying Around the World

Animating Wavy Text

Making a Muzzle Flash

Compositing Tips

Exporting Animated Poses from Poser to Carrara

Making and Animating Gears

Modeling

Bevels in the Spline Modeler

Soft Selection

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building Better Bricks

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building a Cityscape Pt 1

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building a Cityscape Pt 2

Cool Carrara Tricks - Modeling a Mailbox

Modeling a Barrel using the Lathe Tool

How to Make a Steam Punk Arch

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 1

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 2

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 3

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 4

How to Make a Mushroom Cloud Pt 1

How to Make a Mushroom Cloud Pt 2

Make a Display Case

Modeling a Rope

Making a Simple Flower

Making Keyboard Shortcuts for the Spline Modeler

Modeling a Human Head Part 1

Modeling a Human Head Part 2

Modeling a Human Head Part 3

Model a Figurine in 10 Minutes

Model a Facade

Modeling Pipes

Modeling Ruled Surfaces

Making Morph Targets on Your Figures

Replicator

Precision Replication

SciFi Elements

How to Make Your Own Starfield

Distributing Objects with Shaders

More Excellent Cripeman Tutorials That have yet to be catagorized

Cripeman's dedication to Frank Frazetta
    Where he links to a feature-length special on the artist himself:
    Frank Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Make a Mountain of Skulls
    Shows a quick example of creating a custom Terrain Shape, Using Poser to export only the Skull from a complete skeleton, Replicating the Skulls onto the custom terrain shape, and using the light brightness to Stylize the end image.

Making a 3d Object out of a 2d image

The 3DUniverse Toon Generation Figure

Make a Hologram

Textured Fire

Bryce Textures in Carrara

String Lights on a Christmas Tree

Birds in Trees

Electricity

Making Graffiti

Making a Romantic Moon

Frosted Glass

Sweat

Particle Fire

Merry Christmas

Depth of Field

Precision Alignment in Carrara

Spline Modeler Animation Trick

Volumetrics and FX

Creating a "Planet Hanging in the Sky" Effect

Bryce Terrains to Carrara Terrains

awesome list.  Thank yooo!  

that list must've taken ages to put together

edited February 2017
    MistyMist said:

awesome list.  Thank yooo!  

that list must've taken ages to put together

I was a determined little guy! ;)

Creating that list was the original intention, which eventually lead into what has become ►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

I started writing as I awaited Cripeman's reply to my asking permission to create such a list. Next thing I knew... I was addicted to information sharing.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Dartanbeck - Both here and at other sites I see the question, "Is Carrara dead?"  I'm thinking your answer is "No."

wink

Nice job, BTW.

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck - Both here and at other sites I see the question, "Is Carrara dead?"  I'm thinking your answer is "No."

wink

Nice job, BTW.

Thank You!

• Necrophilia is a thing devil

Necrophilia is a thing devil

Bummer!

edited February 2017

FOOD for THOUGHT

Our very own 3DAGE has created a wonderful introduction to Bullet Physics in Carrara

Bullet Physics - First Steps by 3dage

Mark Bremmer has a fun and wonderful 40 minute tutorial on Lighting

Carrara Lighting Tutorial High Quality Video Tutorial by Mark Bremmer - includes scene download -

Are you into Geometry? We have a fun thread on using Fomulae in Carrara

Using Formulas in Carrara

Are you into sculpting?

Sculpting alternatives in Carrara

Fixing Poke-through

5 ways to fix poke through without using conforming clothes! An informative tutorial by Diomede64

Fun with Replicators!

thread for replicator introductory methods, tricks, and advanced tips

DS <> Carrara workflow for rigging

Rigging in DS 4.6.2.120 for use in Carrara

evilproducer's discussion on the

Tasty Occlusion Sammich  - a study in using Ambient Occlusion

another eveilproducer thread, this thing really has taken off!

Tips & Tricks For Space Scenes

Have you ever wanted to know...

How does one learn to be a Carrara programmer? 

Making Games?

Carrara and Unity Game engine

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

scifi funk has a few nice ones on NLA
    and imoorting animates smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Wow, what a terrific thread, thanks Dart!