Odd Content Library Behavior

MontecristoMontecristo Posts: 49
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have noticed that some directories that contain Studio content (.duf, .dsf, etc) behave strangely. I am not sure if this is 'as-designed', a bug, or something else. The odd behavior is that these files do not show the new category overlays (shape, material, etc.) on their icons, and when I try to look at their metadata by using the "Content DB Editor..." command, the dialog shows no "assets". The files for the product are definitely there, and if I use the undecorated icons they work as expected. Since the metadata does not appear to be there, they do not show up in the smart-content pane. Just to be clear, these are newer products bought from DAZ that claim to contain metadata. On a hunch that it might be something with the CMS, I've stopped and re-started it and re-imported the metadata for the one of the products in question, but that did not do the trick.

So, anyone have an idea why the dialog would show no assets while the pane definitely shows files?

Thanks

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It sounds like the metadata for the products is out-of-date. Check the date of the .dsx file for the product in Runtime\Support -- if it's older than September 2012, it will need to be updated (or may have already been updated -- check the thread linked in my .sig on Updated Genesis Products for the current version numbers).

• MontecristoMontecristo Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the fast response. I checked the dsx file for one of the products, and it is dated October 31, 2012. A quick glance at the XML doesn't throw any red flags. This happened with several (maybe all) products I bought this weekend. The only other difference that's nagging at me is that I had disabled all network connections when I installed the products. I may reinstall one of them to see if it magically fixes itself.

edited December 1969

If you disabled all network connections that might be preventing the CMS from communicating with DS -- that would be why nothing is showing up in Smart Content, the asset type isn't tagged, and the dialog shows no assets.

edited January 2013

Well, I've tried a couple of other things without success. To test if the problem was caused by the disabled network, I uninstalled and re-installed some products with the network enabled. I also tried fixing my file permissions (I'm on a Mac), and manually placing additional files in one of the content directories for the product in question. I suspect that the database is corrupted somehow. I have lots of user created meta-data that I'd hate to lose, but that may be inevitable at this point. If I can diagnose the problem I'll post an update.

Edited to add:
    So I have found something interesting: the content manager logs started reporting an error on January 6th. This may be getting too technical, but the exact error is:

Sun Jan  6 2013 22:14:54.133180 (TID 4357001216): (UID 11) ERROR 0x99503: 
    "FILE: /PARADIGMA/Developer_2/kernel/xcode/../../sources/VKernel/FBL/prot/Structure/VarChar/FBL_VarCharFile.cpp 
    FUNCTION: BinarySearch LINE: 497" 
    Varchar data "" is corrupted.

I doubt anything has changed in a C++ source file; it's got to be corruption in the database.
    Post edited by Montecristo on
    edited December 1969

If you're using DS4.5, try exporting User Date before you scrub your database, so you can restore your customizations.

edited December 1969

Scrubbing the DB did the trick (at least for now). I did export my old data before scrubbing and re-imported it after. I was able to do it all from inside Studio using the Content DB Maintenance dialog, which was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2013

Comment removed.. nevermind..

Post edited by Lindsey on