I wonder...

Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
edited December 1969 in The Commons

...if there are any laptops with GPU equiped graphics? Anyone know?

Ed

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You mean with discrete graphics cards rather than onboard graphics? Yes, a number of them have both.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited January 2013

...if you mean a notebook that has a dedicated GPU instead of an integrated graphics chipset, the answer is yes, but they tend to be a bit on the expensive side (in the 1,000$ range and up).

The downside of a portable system is limited expandability and marginal cooling (the latter important during rendering).

[...my crappy connectivity loses out again]

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited January 2013

bcameron said:
    ...if there are any laptops with GPU equiped graphics? Anyone know?

Ed

Dell used to sell laptops with your choice of nVidia or ATI GPUs (as well as Intel integrated video chipsets). My first dual-core laptop had an ATI GPU, and I loved that machine.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited January 2013

Unless you're going to use that laptop for games don't bother. The new Intel processors are more than capable of handling modern desktop apps and unless you're planning on using a GPU renderer like Octane you're better off focusing on what's under the hood in terms of CPU and RAM as those are the components you'll be abusing when rendering.

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook with both built in Intel graphics and NVidia dedicated graphics and really the only time I need to switch to NVidia is when I play a game.

Post edited by Harry Dresden on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Unless you're going to use that laptop for games don't bother. The new Intel processors are more than capable of handling modern desktop apps and unless you're planning on using a GPU renderer like Octane you're better off focusing on what's under the hood in terms of CPU and RAM as those are the components you'll be abusing when rendering.

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook with both built in Intel graphics and NVidia dedicated graphics and really the only time I need to switch to NVidia is when I play a game.

Then you are darn lucky...because in most cases Intel graphics have a very poor track record with OpenGL...and DS requires working OpenGL for the UI and viewport.

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

While I wait for my ship to hit port, I'm trying to teach myself how to program in C++ using eclipse and cmake on a Linux laptop. It is an older HP limited to 4g ram so since I'm dreaming, why not see what is out there for laptops that have some ommph in the graphics department. Also looking for any laptop that might have more than 8g ram. My desktop get's choked when I use Vue and I might change out its motherboard for something that can also handle more than 8g.

Well, dreaming is cheap!

Ed

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited January 2013

Well since you're in the Navy, space is a concern and you might have some money to play with... check out Boxx Workstation Laptop. Although I don't know just how expensive they are... no price mentioned ;p

Edit: just double checked and prices start at $2700 U.S.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

Oops, I appologize, I seem to have given the wrong impression. I'm an out of work old geezer and I was using an expression - "waiting for my ship to ..." in the contex I was using means to wait for a wind fall of money to come my way. :)

Sorry if that confused everyone.

Ed

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Hehe, yes.. the phrase 'waiting for my ship to come in' is well recognized. The other, especially if one has been in the Navy generally means something totally different ;p

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Then you are darn lucky...because in most cases Intel graphics have a very poor track record with OpenGL...and DS requires working OpenGL for the UI and viewport.
    ...speaking from experience I have to agree. As I mentioned above, integrated chipsets depend on system memory which means they have to compete for memory resources with other processes and applications that are running (like Daz Studio).