Marketing idea to improve: Carrara for free with PC++ membership?

Just an idea for Carrara that I wanted to share for discussion and improvement suggestions.

What do you think about proposing the idea to DAZ3D to make Carrara 8.5 Pro for free for PC+ (Platinum Club +) members?
http://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-plus

-Why? Improve the sales of Carrara store items.
-Why? Improve the sales/income of the PC+ memberships
-Why? Get some steady income from Carrara to support a lonely coder to do some maintenance or critical fixes.

-How? Slightly increase PC+ monthly fee. For example and added tier/level to the PC+ membership.

Background:
DAZ3D is already giving away Studio for free for non PC+ members.
Right now the price for Carrara 8.5 Pro is about 45$ (for PC+ members) and includes M5 and V5 Pro bundles worth 250$.
Carrara 8.5 Standard is more expensive (weird) and includes M5 and V5 Starter bundles worth 140$
PC+ membership is 70$/year or 24$/quarter.

Scenario A. Include Carrara 8.5 Pro for free in a new PC+Carrara level and offer an upgrade option to current PC+ members
Create a PC+Carrara tier that is 95$/ year while the current PC+ is still 70$/ year. PC+Carrara 33$/quarter while the current PC+ is still 24 $/quarter.
Current members can upgrade for 2$/month on the rest of their memberships.

Scenario B:  Include Carrara 8.5 (Standard) for free in the current PC+ prices and levels.
Offer an upgrade from Carrara 8.5 to Carrara 8.5 Pro for 2 or 3$/month

Scenario C. Create a third PC+Carrara tier with the same monthly fees, but add a start membership cost of 30$.
Probably needs an extra perk, like Carrara training store items at 30% off or a few extra store items included.

Scenario D: Any other idea?

Feedback, ideas???

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

PC+ already greatly drops the price, doesn't it?

Opinion? Sounds fun... and it never hurts to write them with your ideas. Gives them food for thought. ;)

If they give away Pro... that's a lot of free content going out the door! Pro comes with one heck of a bundle of goodies!!!

• It would be very surprising if they did that. Carrara probably consistently makes DAZ more $$ than all but a handfull of item in their store. If you go to the store home page and sort by most popular (and turn off hide items I own)  it's almost ALWAYS in the top 40. With the rare exception of base figures like Victoria 7, Bryce and a couple of other items, all the other items are new, most of them within the past few weeks. based on the relativly few PC+ items on the first page I would guess that the sorting is based on total revenue over a fixed trailing time period. So with Carrara having no PA revenue sharing this would seem to put it right up there as one of Daz's top revenue generators.

• the DAZ person on the forum never claimed Carrara does not sell just that Carrara users tend to not buy DAZ content.

Well according to their figures I presume, I got Elijah 7 70% off for buying most of the G3M's even though I am primarily a Carrara user, I am not sure how they quantify that.

• the DAZ person on the forum never claimed Carrara does not sell just that Carrara users tend to not buy DAZ content.

Well according to their figures I presume, I got Elijah 7 70% off for buying most of the G3M's even though I am primarily a Carrara user, I am not sure how they quantify that.

That could very well be the case but it's just hard to understand why a company with a top selling product wouldn't give it just a little love.  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

interesting idea 3drendero.

Wendy and Stringtheory -  we know Daz saw this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58113/daz-abandons-carrara-users-because-we-don-t-buy-enough-content-how-many-pages-do-you-have-in-your-p

because PhilW sent it to them.

out of interest, do you have a link to thread with  'the DAZ person on the forum never claimed Carrara does not sell just that Carrara users tend to not buy DAZ content"?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2017

no, I was not quoting and was referring to the comments that started that thread

I never said he said  it did sell either just to clear it up just the latter.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

it was in response to this when someone asked why Carrara was not being given away, I do recall that much

thanks the#ddigit :)

One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4.

Interesting.... I once had an email from Dan Farr asking me if Daz could quote me on something I'd said about Carrara 8 (for their advertising) , I didnt find it for quite a few months (it was in my secondary email)  and at the time  I didnt know who he was. 

• he is no longer with DAZ

thats all very old news frown

head wax said:

One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4.

Interesting.... I once had an email from Dan Farr asking me if Daz could quote me on something I'd said about Carrara 8 (for their advertising) , I didnt find it for quite a few months (it was in my secondary email)  and at the time  I didnt know who he was. 

He did the same for me. Mine was used in an e-mail ad only. I love this one (and miss, dearly, those no longer here):

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i wouldnt mind pc+ content for carrarasmiley
    even if is just an add-on texture set, for Carnival as example
    or nla clips for the carnival rides

saw a beautiful lightwave animation for the carousel, felt like franknfurter when he was crying for fay wray's dress

already has the pc hdri sets

I actually wanted all of my products to be Platinum Club, but it's not very easy to get into that (then), and they weren't interested in Carrara-Only content in their PC items - again... at that time. It may be a little different now.