Nimos Transit Bus

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Bryce Discussion

OK, where is it? I installed it twice (it brongs up Bryce6), tried to open it in Bryce7. But it doesn't show up. I found other neat things, like the Gas Stationbut still no Transit Bus. I found the panel to import stuff. But according to Bryce the Bus is Bryce6, I found the folder that way, but where is the Bus??? And where is the obj file to bring into Daz?? I knew I had a bad feeling about it. I spent $25 for nothing again...Everytime I find stuff that says it's compatible with Daz there's a problem.

Post edited by texjones on

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Looking at the Daz page for the bus, the file comes as both an .obj file (use 'object import' in the main Bryce 'file' menu or an .obp file (Bryce propriety file type)

To get the .obp file into your Bryce (and it shouldn't matter that you are using a newer version of Bryce, they are all compatible)

Make a note of where you downloaded and unpacked the Transit Bus.
    Open or create a new Bryce document and click the 'Create' tab on the little sideways triangle to open the object library.
    At the bottom of the window that opens up (the grey band), you will see the option to 'Import', click it.
    A navigation window appears and you just navigate to where you downloaded and unpacked the item, select it and hit the 'Open' button.
    NOTE: Make sure you choose the .obp file, it will simply ignore the command if you choose the .obj file.

Your Transit Bus will then appear in which ever sub group you have open in your object library at the time.

It's always best to sort your objects out as you import them, so I would recommend;
    At the bottom of the object library window (in the grey bar), the first button says; 'Installed' and there is a downward pointing triangle.
    Click on the triangle and from the dropdown menu choose 'user'
    Then click the little plus button (just above where is says user) and when prompted to name your new sub category, call it 'vehicles' or give it a name that you will recognise easily in the future.
    Then 'import' your Bus in the way described above and it will go into a place where you can easily find it in the future.

To get the Transit Bus into Daz Studio, just import it like you would import any other .obj file (make sure you choose the .obj file and not the .obp file as DS won't recognise .obp files as they are Bryce only files.

Hope this helps.

PS: Why did you spend $25 on the bus?
    On the Daz site it's only $14.95

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ok, maybe not $25 (some vehicles and other things cost that much). But anyways, the odd thing about Daz it can't import an obj file, it always comes up blank, nothing there but the Universal Manipulator. So in Bryce I tried to export it as a Collada, but Bryce keeps crashing when I try to do that (or with some of the other items I found in Bryce.) So I tried to just send it to Daz, and it comes in pieces with Texture and UV maps all freaked out, and not completed then Daz will crash. And Daz doesn't open the 3ds file. So I guess the only other choice is (IF it will work) is to send the scene I plan to use the bus in all to Bryce and see if I have to do it that way. But since I can't use it the way I want I've wasted more money in the Daz store. But that's okay.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Importing .obj files into Daz Studio
    If it's not working for you, it's most likely that you're doing something wrong.

In any case, that's a question you'd have to ask in the Daz Studio sub forum.

I can only help you with Bryce. If you've bought a bus that is for Bryce, we in this forum can help you get it into Bryce.
    But that would depend on you giving feed back for the information you've already had that you appear to have completely ignored.

edited January 2013

I got the bus into Bryce, I found it. IT's in my Create files under User>vehicles. It took a couple of tries but I got it in there. It looks really nice. Now I want to get it into Daz. Again as an obj file, there's nothing there when I try to bring it into Daz. I got it to open in Hexagon (I'm getting better at that program) and from there exported as an Wave Obj, THEN it opened in Daz as an object no maps.. When I brought into Hexagon the maps got all freaked out, but it looks kinda cool, like a rocker's tour bus. So in Daz I will fix the maps and stuff. Thanks I got it somewhat figured out.

Bus_as_is.jpg
    600 x 450 - 41K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

I don't have the bus, but I do have other products from Nimos.

I ran the installer to a temp file, as I always do. I find that I then have a folder called Content. Insided this folder I have 3 folders

One called Models One called Objects and one called templates

Inside the one called Models I find I have the OBJ, complete with an MTL, which contains the material data, which you need to use the textured OBJ in other programs.

Inside the one called Objects I have the Bryce OBP file.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2013

Yeah, I found those folders. In Hexagon and Daz both the maps are all freaked out. I am trying to fix it, but when applying in Daz they don't match up how they should, using the surface tab in Daz trying to adjust the maps I can there are are several divisions over the body of the bus. Only the maps for the lights and the misc material files are setting where tehy should, the body is having the trouble. BUT between Daz, Hexagon and Photoshop I have gone in and changed several material files to what I wanted. As I mentioned I am getting better at Hexagon, with setting the UV's, maybe I can fix it there.
    I can see what's going on, in Hexagon, taking away the texture images, so it's just an object, the bus itself needs to be cleaned up. There's several faces and edges going on. I will see if I can clean it up, divide it into sections and use Photoshop to break up the materials. I've already done that to few other things I've bought. The Cop car, for example I changed to several colors so there could a few of them in the scene as just plain regular cars for background and filling up the scene.

Bus_with_maps.jpg
    600 x 450 - 60K
    edited January 2013

That is quite unusual I imported both the OBP and the OBJ of this model into bryce, and as you can see I got the correct maps. applied.

rope_bridge.jpg
    867 x 650 - 266K
    edited January 2013

Yes, in Bryce it looks great, like it should but that's not where I need it. I've already got huge complex layout going in Daz and the bus needs to go there. I'll just have to keep digging and probing until I get it figured out in Daz. I love the shadows going on in Bryce around the scene. It looks like a typical hot day in Arizona.

Bud_and_Intersection_in_Bryce.jpg
    1114 x 835 - 69K
    edited January 2013

AS I said, I am a bit tied, because I don't have the bus model, but the rope bridge certainly imports correctly with materials into Poser, so it should do the same into DS.

Edited to add that I have just been told that DS sometimes doesn't work nicely with MTL files. Have you tried removing the textures in DS, and then applying it back manually ?

rope_bridge_poser.png
    629 x 642 - 85K
    edited December 1969

Since I can't render in Hexagon, I did a screen capture of what I mean about the Bus in Hexagon. You see all those extra edges going on. I've watched some tutorials about Hexagon, and I will see if I can clean it up. Maybe that's what Daz sees that freaks out the map images.

Bus_Hxgn.JPG
    1280 x 770 - 200K
    edited January 2013

I don't know what modeller Nimos uses. You could alwasy contact him. He does sometimes post in the forum. His forum handle is
    max v nimos a PM should reach him.

edited December 1969

ok, I got it. Somebody asked about it in the Daz forum. I didn't see the obvious: the Opacity scale. And there it is....completely intact.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

It sounds like you found a workable solution but just out of curiosity did you ever try moving it to Studio via the Bryce Studio bridge? I've never used the bridge to move things into studio from Bryce, just the other way around. Also like Chohole I don't have the bus either. So I'm not suggesting the bridge based on actual experience. Conceptually speaking however, the Bryce Studio bridge should be the best way to move things between studio and bryce and have them looking the way they're supposed to once it's moved.