fun with fonts

3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

here's a little thing i've been tinkering with,. a font to help make stuff

install the font into your system fonts,. then open the little test scene in carrara.  ..explore.

Columns, arches, panels, pipes, structural shapes,. and a bunch of interesting abstract shapes.

You can use these in the Text tool,. or in the Spline modeller, or in your favorite 2D image editor

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/3D_construct_font.zip

If you use these shapes in the text tool,. then Carrara will automatically apply UV an shading domains to each face,. which can also make texturing simpler.

you can either apply different textures to each of the faces, or use a single Global shader to texture the whole item.

3d construct.jpg
1387 x 711 - 105K
Post edited by 3DAGE on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Thank you Andy,   that looks really useful.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited February 2017

That's really cool! I was doing something similar a while back, but instead of a special font, I was using special characters by opening the Character Map in Windows, find a shape, copy, and paste into Carrara's text modeler... so fun!

Having a special font must be even more fun/powerful!

Thanks 3DAGE!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Thanks, Andy!  I am a bit bleary eyed tonight (and need to post for some help in a new thread shortly) and at first I thought you were making a spoof of Sheldon on BB Theory... Fun With FLAGS cheeky Silene

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Flags are much more fun :)

BB rocks

3DAGE said:

BB rocks

Agreed! yes Except that I can never breathe I'm so busy laughing! Just kills me! LOL

Fun with Flags! Those two and their ideas, eh?

I was just recently using the Text modeler for Text, using some of thse new fonts I've picked up in search of a good one to use for my Band logo.

One of them looks like smashed glass, broken into tinier pieces toward the lower right of each letter. I was amazed at what Carrara did with that font - even at more modest settings it made some amazingly detailed mesh of all of those tiny pieces. That made for a lot of tedium to get the shaders applied! LOL

I remember that there's a way to apply a shader to all children... where is that again? I looked and looked!

edited February 2017
    3DAGE said:

BB rocks

Agreed! yes Except that I can never breathe I'm so busy laughing! Just kills me! LOL

Bets on that they will have a kid?  We are behind here in the UK, but the last episode showed her lab experiment was a success so he thinks they should drop their pants and make a baby!!! surprise Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    SileneUK said:
    3DAGE said:

BB rocks

Bets on that they will have a kid?  We are behind here in the UK, but the last episode showed her lab experiment was a success so he thinks they should drop their pants and make a baby!!! surprise Silene

yes yes​ yes​ 

Dart :)

the main shader at the top, should apply to everything,.  or you can make /apply shaders to each domain in the list.

There have been some interesting developments in fonts since Win8,. coloured font's (or multi-coloured characters (logo's)

font's now have a smart ability to detect what's being typed,. and replace specified characters dependent on the previous and next characters

so, you could have a dramatic (D) which only appeared if it's preceded by a space (or empty), and followed with (ART)

Silene, ):  Hot sweaty and steamy scenes are inevitable.

3DAGE said:

Dart :)

the main shader at the top, should apply to everything,.  or you can make /apply shaders to each domain in the list.

Nope. Hmmm... I remember now... Phil mmentions it in his spiral stairway tutorial in his Basic Training course... I'll see if it works on text models too.

Otherwise, I have to apply the shader to each domain separately, which normally isn't an issue for me. But I spent close to an hour working quickly draging the shader from one domain to the others and found that the scroll bar on the side barely moved - thousands of individual bits! LOL

Rather than continuing on, I just deleted it and decided against usig that font ;)

3DAGE said:

Silene, ):  Hot sweaty and steamy scenes are inevitable.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

This is really cool though.

For anyone whom has not yet tried what 3DAGE is offering in the first post... try it!

It's really amazing how nicely we can make models using only a font and a letter, number or combination of them. There are several different settings that we have right in the Text modeler panel, but even after that we can convert to vertex modeler (or not) and really get some amazing models done so quickly and easily!

Copy and Paste them for messing around with different options, like making the faces of one into glass and using another as the mount... possibilities galore.

3DAGE is taking it a step further, using a construction-oriented font for actually make architectural models using this font! Dulicate these babies around the scene and see what we can come up with!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Very good tip, especially for us non-modelers.  I had tired this a little long ago, but never to this extent.  Thanks.

Oh I see what you both did... that is really cool. I have not worked much with text. But I have a lot of dingbats, symbols, etc that I can use in work graphics as the Carrara shaders are endless in ways to combine or use off the shelf.  Cheers. laugh Silene

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

THANKS! smileyheart

edited February 2017

you can either apply a shader to the Global Shader,. which will also apply to all other shading domains (if they have "none")

or,. if you group a bunch of text characters together,. you can apply a shader to the Group,. and then use Apply to children,. which will apply that shader as the Global Shader to all items in the group.

pics to help :)

shaders1.jpg
    1176 x 787 - 202K
    shaders2.jpg
    1410 x 826 - 216K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited February 2017

@3DAGE thanks for this.... it will be very handy and fun to mess around with yes

didn't take long to create a wall and ladder using it... just can't remember what letter does what lol

Wall.jpg
    800 x 600 - 418K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Nice work Stezza :)

I hear you on the problem of finding stuff,..

Update,. with guide image included in zip  (hopefully that will help a bit)

the alphabet typed out in Uppercase, Lowercase, numerals and punctuation marks, and the same text in ariel for reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/3D_construct_font.zip

guide.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 387K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2017

we can also use 3D age's font to type cryptic letters nobody can read
    ISN'T THIS FUN WITH FONTS

CARRARA
    carrara

Capture.JPG
    645 x 612 - 109K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I changed a couple of glyphs in the last version of the font,. my bad.

I didn't forsee decoding the cryptic mesages,.. but yes, font's can be fun. :)

HBW.jpg
    394 x 394 - 38K

Wendy's Birthday?

Happy Birthday Wendy!!!!

Hmmm... now to see if I can get Geralt to visit you for your special day....

• TY both heart