My jewelry won't texture with metals for iray.

jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404

http://www.daz3d.com/dragonia-jewelry-for-genesis-3-female-s

I have this jewelry and although I have double clicked on the Iray texture when the item is highlighted, for some reason the pieces remain white. Can someone help? This is only a partial render, I stopped it, but I don't think the metal comes later, or does it?

Thank you!

azariah_dragonia_metal.jpg
2400 x 3120 - 1M
Post edited by jenniferhughey on

Comments

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

You also have to select the material you wish to apply the Iray shader to.  Shaders/ShaderPresets have to be applied to a selected material, not to an object.   It's not like material presets for figures where it applies several things to different materials.

• Really? I thought I had done this before, highlight the necklace than double click on material. Maybe I was doing something else..here's the way the screen looks..

I should read up on materials and shader presets, not sure how to do that..

metals.JPG
    3836 x 1507 - 450K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited February 2017

hphoenix is right. This product actually comes with shaders rather than material settings. Select the item, then go to the Surfaces tab and select the surface you want apply the shader on, then double click the shader.

First screenshot shows the menus, second screenshot is a quick render of the result.

Capture.JPG
    1129 x 700 - 99K
    capture 2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 677K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Sometimes I get a stubbornly shaded item and have to apply Iray uber base first then I apply the metal shader to it to get it to accept that new shader material.

@Serene Night

That's not the case with this item. The OP was trying to apply the shaders as if they were Material Settings, but they appear to be true shaders. Selecting the surface then applying the shader (like any other shader) works fine.

The actual folder does say Shaders rather than Materials as is usually the case.

• OH! I get it now, thank you! I'm a noob and haven't done much with anything other than basics so far(as you can tell) so now I know if something is listed as shaders, to do it this way..! This is probably why one of my other renders was having issues with hair jewelry too.Thank you. You guys are great here!

Glad to help. We were all new once.

Remember, this technique allows you to use any other shader on an item. For something that has a surface texture (pattern), like a dress or other fabric, a control-click will bring up a dialog that will allow you to apply the shader without impacting the texture. It's not 100% reliable, but can often let you kept an interesting texture but change to underlying look to silk, leather, what have you.

• That's what I was thinking, I have seen people change their swimsuits to metallic look, and I'm guessing this is how they did it. I wondered why DAZ sold shader packs of different kinds and now I know. So cool!

edited February 2017

@jennysmi

devil The dark side is that you start buying all kinds of shader packs. There are several silk, lace, leather, oriental, tropical, etc, etc, and that's just for clothing. You can do the same for any item. FWIW, I have 141 Iray shader packs, so that is where it can go wink Huge fun. It's also how you can change a non- iray product ot Iray. I attached an image of IgnisSerpentis' Viridian Skye G2F outfit (http://www.daz3d.com/dark-apocalypse-viridian-skye-bundle) to Iray using some shaders from Sveva and bone shaders from Jgreenlees.

Rune 7 Viridian Skye Iray Conversion H-S.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 483K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • oh, that is awesome! So basically if you have a G2 outfit, you can add Iray shaders of any kind and give it a whole new updated texture look! I have a feeling I am going to be a texture junkie.

Well you were warned laugh. Some outfit don't do as well as others when you want to lkeep the original texture but add Iray capabilities. In those cases the Daz Iray Uber Shader will generally work well enough. Iray allows multiple maps in shaders so you can get metallic highlights and other effects. Sveva has some interesting ones here as well as at Renderosity. You might also light this one: http://www.daz3d.com/dg-iray-fabrics-of-asia-shaders. Here are two favoraites for hair http://www.daz3d.com/uht2-ultimate-color , http://www.daz3d.com/idg-iray-hair-essentials-shaders . Have fun!

jennysmi said:

oh, that is awesome! So basically if you have a G2 outfit, you can add Iray shaders of any kind and give it a whole new updated texture look! I have a feeling I am going to be a texture junkie.

• I had started researching hair texture but some forum posts mentioned there weren't any. Must have been old posts. These will help a lot! So, if you don't mind, how do you get multiple maps to work? Do you mean say, selecting a shirt for one, and the buttons are a seperate area so they texture independently? I'm assuming as long as what you are trying to texture has different "zones" for lack of a better word, they can shade differently?

They are in fact called "material zones". You are correct in that you can use different shaders for different zones. In the image I posted, the green cloth uses  sveva cotton shader, the leather uses a different leather shader for the tooled effect. The claws and spear use a bone shader from a third pack. Rune's hiar uses the IDG shader I linked.

• lclairelclaire Posts: 28
    edited April 17

thank you so much! it worked for me

fastbike1 said:

hphoenix is right. This product actually comes with shaders rather than material settings. Select the item, then go to the Surfaces tab and select the surface you want apply the shader on, then double click the shader.

First screenshot shows the menus, second screenshot is a quick render of the result.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on