FBX Export from Carrara

Hi there,

does anybody know if it is possible to export animation via the FBX format?

I'd like to import objects with texturing and animation into Hitfilm.

Regards, Wilfried

Comments

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited February 2017

I would assume so, the whole point with FBX is that it can export an animation (Carrara 8 and later), but the FBX export in Carrara is a bit old so not sure how well it will work, I guess you have to try and see.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • carrara does FBX export better than import just the textures can go missing 

do not know about Hitfilm pro (only have express) but it works in iClone fine via 3Dx and most other apps I tried

I thought Hitfilm imported alembic though

• Yes, Hitfilm can import alembic files. But how should I output this from Carrara? Is the DAZ alembic exporter a plugin that also works with Carrara? Has anybody tried this?

• Yes, Hitfilm can import alembic files. But how should I output this from Carrara? Is the DAZ alembic exporter a plugin that also works with Carrara? Has anybody tried this?

no thats D|S only

not really sure how it can be done, one reason I never upgraded Hitfilm

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you're on a Mac, you need to get the FBX import/export dll from support - they forgot to include it in the most recent distro!

• The Carrara 8 manual says nothing about animation concerning FBX export.

• well it does indeed export animated with morphs 

as I said I can confirm that

its how to get it i to Hitfilm that as far as I know only imports alembic .abc files thats the issue

if it had an FBX importer I would possibly buy and use it as alembic not an easy format to use, I have the D|S plugin and its a pain going into Octane render standalone, many errors very fussy.

I found the iClone 6 exporter no better.

FBX in any app been fairly reliable, tried Unity andUnreal game engines, Houdini, to name a few even the Nvidia Apex cloth SDK demo and Hairworks one, except I cannot figure out how to use either > <

• I just imported an animated FBX file (exported from Carrara 8) into Hitfilm. It shows up in the media panel here and can be placed on the timeline. But I just can not figure out how the animation data can be manipulated within Hitfilm.

• that I cannot help with sadly only can confirm FBX does import animated from Carrara into other apps.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    Digifex said:

I just imported an animated FBX file (exported from Carrara 8) into Hitfilm. It shows up in the media panel here and can be placed on the timeline. But I just can not figure out how the animation data can be manipulated within Hitfilm.

Doesn't it play through during playback?

Make sure you have a 3d camera in the scene and try working with that. Not sure what you mean.

Personally, I just use Carrara to render, then use HitFilm as a compositor/vfx tool. Like Wendy, I don't have Pro. Want it... but don't have it.

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi,

FBX export works ok with Carrara. Import does not work. However, FBX export does not work with morphs :( / At least that's what I found when importing Genesis characters into Houdini. The only solution I found was to export an Alembic file via the Carrara Octane plugin. That works quite well :)

Best wishes,
    Thomas

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    ThomasSc said:

Hi,

FBX export works ok with Carrara. Import does not work. However, FBX export does not work with morphs :( / At least that's what I found when importing Genesis characters into Houdini. The only solution I found was to export an Alembic file via the Carrara Octane plugin. That works quite well :)

Best wishes,
    Thomas

So the Octane for Carrara plugin incudes Alembic export capabilities for Carrara? How cool is that?!!!

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

That's really cool indeed :)