Genesis content not showing in Carrara?

Hello,

So, have run into an issue with getting Genesis content to show up in Carrara 8.5. All other content I've installed (the essentials, etc) are showing up fine - materials, landscapes, etc. etc.. But Genesis characters just don't want to cooperate.

It's installed via the Install Manager. It's installed to the correct location, and there are files in the related folders in Windows.

However, the files will not show up in the asset browser in Carrara. I've tried to get this to update or what-not, googled, etc.. no dice.
Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Okay, since the directory in the screenshot looks perfect, I can almost guarantee what the answer is:

Make sure that the category in the browser you're looking at is set up to show "Content", not set up as a "Runtime"

To illustrate what I mean, I'll use DIM's default installation location with a fresh install of Carrara, then talk about custom locations.

DIM's default installation location is C > Users > Public > Public Documents > My Daz3d Library

So if that's installed, and then we install Carrara 8.5, then Carrara will show "My Daz3d Library" and My Daz3d Library Runtime" in the content tab automatically, set up by the database.

To use DUF, like Genesis and Genesis compatible, and other DUF (Daz Studio-Only) content in Carrara 8.5, we need to look under My Daz3d Library

========================================================

CUSTOM

For any other situation, including default that did not automatically get added to the browser:

When we add the folder to the Content tab (using File/Folder menu > Add Runtime) we need to select "Content" after selecting the folder location and the dialog comes up. It'll ask whether the folder contains Content or Runtime - in the above Default example, both My Daz3d Library and My Daz3d Library Runtime are the exact same folder and location, but are added differently.

So to test, try adding the folder again, making sure to select "Content" 

We can always remove folders we don't want, if we need to.

I hope this helps.

By the way... 

Hey Mitovo!!! How's it going? Sure feels like it's been a while!!!

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Hmmm okay, thank you Dartanbeck.

I'll give that a try!

Mitovo said:

Hmmm okay, thank you Dartanbeck.

I'll give that a try!

My pleasure. I get pulled away form the computer a LOT these days... I should be here for a while right now though... I hope we get this working.

I can see that you're looking in the exact right spot for the Genesis stuff.

Okay got it working. 

Thanks again for the help!

If I'm remembering right, it *was* Genesis that people suggested working with in Carrara, since it had the most support?

edited February 2017

Some folks Love Genesis, others are even loving using Genesis 2.

The easiest for me to work with, likely because I have so much of it, is the generation 4 (M4, V4, etc.,) line - the content that has been working in Carrara since Carrara 6, Carrara 5 Pro with its included plugin, I guess... I didn't have 5 Pro.

Genesis 1 is highly successful, I think. There's a lot of content for it and it can go male to female, even children and monsters/animals so the content can take us much further. Some things do require tweaking for some of the more drastic shapes.

I have all of the generation support files that they made for Genesis 1, which allows for easier auto-conversion of content made for generation 3 and 4 figure lines, and it works pretty sweet, though I've not experimented as much as some. But I will be soon.

Like I can take my V4 and M4 (and The Girl 4, Freak 4, Aiko 4, etc.,) content and "Fit to" Genesis 1 and the auto-conversion algorythms are aided by those files, making them convert really pretty nicely for almost everything.

Now, that said, I still get pretty decent results using Fit To with some things on my Genesis 2 Male and Female as well... but not quite as good, as I don't have any of those files for them yet. But when Genesis 2 Male and Female came out, as they put out cool content at sale prices I could grab... I grabbed some - so I have a nice little collection going for them - and those items definitely work better for Genesis 2.

But I've been away a lot lately - forced to use my laptop instead of my nice Carrara monster machine, and Genesis 2 takes me forever to work with on this little piece of... I mean... laptop ;)

I'm not faulting Genesis 2 for that, but it does get me to go back to Generation 4 a lot more.

In my using generation 4 figures so much - I have to say that I do still really like them, but then when I load up a Genesis 2 figure... the difference (in realism) is incredibly clear! But it's also not as straight-forward to change character textures as V4 and M4 either.

The name of the thread has changed a few times since I've created this link, but this thread is a good one to check out:

► First Steps - Setting up a sample scene in Carrara with plant, terrain, sky and hair
    Diomede's wonderful "Starter Thread" for those new to Carrara! "Where do we go now, what do we do next?"  Find answers here!

I think he covers some nice Genesis-related topics in there.

...and since you've just come back, maybe try this one too?

► Learning CARRARA and need some help?

...and if you just want to check for a specific topic

► Forum Help Links

Oh... and this thread is in dire need of an image, so here are my V4 and M4 versions of my main characters

...and the ship they're in

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Genesis 1 "Basic Male" character preset uses M4 texture maps.

I recently bought this shape, "Abomination" and mixed him with some M5 morphs, but started with the Basic Male shape so I could use M4's UV maps and this texture setup

So yeah... I think all three of those generations work great. If we like a particular figure line, we can easily adapt some workflow practices to help make that particular line easier to work with for us.

Earlier generations too... but since I'm not well-versed in those, I cannot really comment on them. But I've been tempted to try out Generation 2 & 3 figures again just for kicks and to perhaps grab up some of their content before it gets removed from the store shelves for good.

I've been a yearly Platinum Club member since the day I bought Carrara in 2010, and it gets me a LOT of content on the cheap. I did that to grow a library and... well... now I have a library! LOL  But with my PC membership (perhaps even without PC?) much of the Generation 2 and 3 (not Genesis... earlier than V4 and M4) content is really inexpensive these days.

Thanks for all that info!

I went ahead and got the Victoria and Michael 5 stuff, along with the additional content I have. I figure more options is a good thing. Checked out the thread you linked from Diomede on loading the characters, applying their materials/textures, etc, and am bookmarking that for later (seems a bit advanced for me for now, but good to have handy).

In the meantime, giving myself a super simple project to work through each main phase of a project, just to get the workflow down. Then I can expand from there. 

Thanks again!

My pleasure!

That's a perfect plan, I think. Wade in and, once the water feels right, slip under and start swimming! ;)