Shadow Catcher not working ? SOLVED

starboardstarboard Posts: 452
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I have followed Phil's Tuts, and made an online search...Can't figure it out why Shadow catcher does not work..I have payed oaround with the shaders.. nothing..there must be a switchh somewhere..

Has any body any ideas.

Thanks for any input,

Starboard

ShadCatcher.png
1516 x 1744 - 334K
Shader.png
1818 x 1694 - 475K
Post edited by starboard on

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

In a shadowcatcher shader,. only the top level has real effect,. it creates an Alpha transparency "With the shadow's of any objects"  which alows you to composite that layer onto another image,..

when you render a preview in carrara,. on a black background,. you're not going to see transparency or the black shadows,

If you have a larger plane, or surface below your shadowcatcher,. and spot render,. you'll still only see a black area where the shadow catcher is applied.

When you render out that image,. or sequence in a format which supports Alpha channel,. (PNG, TIFF) then open that in an image/video editor,. you'll see the shadows.

Hope it helps

• Thanks 3DAGE . I think I've have got it...The shadow only appears when you render out the movie...   No wonder I could not get it in the scene.  I just rendered out the scene with shadow... 

Thanks for quick response,

Starboard