After GenXing... the most efficient way for file settup is...?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Okay, I'm learning, I really am!

And I want to know if I have this right. So I GenX a character, or any character creation for that matter.

I have found that Scene files that are based upon Characters I have SAVED AS CHARACTER PRESETS are smaller than those I simply GenX and save to a scene file.

Traditionally, I'll simply GenX a figure, and save it as a scene file...

Now, is my question is this; I'm not quite understanding file organization in DS...

Can someone enlighten me as to things like, Imported Props, etc... where should I save those props first? I believe this also is important to do with Poser File import...

And how are these files organized when I save them in the correct manner?

Post edited by wancow on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

Now, is my question is this; I'm not quite understanding file organization in DS...

Can someone enlighten me as to things like, Imported Props, etc... where should I save those props first? I believe this also is important to do with Poser File import...

And how are these files organized when I save them in the correct manner?

What format are your imported props in? If they are PP2 (Poser) files, then they should go into the My Library/Runtime/Props folder, so that both DS and Poser can read them. If they are not PP2, then Poser can't read them anyway.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

What's the difference between importing a PP2 or OBJ with regard to how DS organizes DSF files?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You don't need to import a PP2 file, DS can open them anyway. As long as they are in a Poser runtime folder, DS will display them in the Content Library pane. OBJ files can be imported, and then saved out as a Scene Subset (DUF) or some of the other DS formats if required.

DS content does not have a rigid file structure like Poser, as long as the DS items are inside the My Library folder, and it is listed as a DS content folder, then they will be seen by DS.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I'm aware of this. However, the size of a DUF scene file will be radically smaller if you save your character as a character preset as opposed to saving it in just a scene file without going through that previous step. Try it.