Carrara in Daz Pantheon - Studio Bryce Hexagon

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2017

Looked up an Iray tutorial on the web.  Here is my first Daz Studio G3F in a pool iray render.

my first iray render really.jpg
    1111 x 1778 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited May 2017

Frankly, I would have done a much better job with Carrara back in 2013, so I have a long way to go.  I'm sure it is a matter of learning the tools and conventions.  But, my journey to the dark side continues.  Here is a related screenshot.

my first iray render really 2.JPG
    1890 x 999 - 302K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited May 2017

Nice work.

One of my Dark-side efforts.

Bunny Rabbit 2.png
    1300 x 850 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thanks for postin, Bunyip.  Looking good.  Is the landscape an image inserted as a background?  Or is it one of the terragon environments?  Something else? 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Diomede said:

Thanks for postin, Bunyip.  Looking good.  Is the landscape an image inserted as a background?  Or is it one of the terragon environments?  Something else? 

Hello Diomede , it's https://www.daz3d.com/green-hills-skydome-and-hdri

Flipmode has got some other goodies worth checking out as well, I use some of his Easy Environments in Carrara as well.

Regards, Bunyip

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Flipmode has got some other goodies worth checking out as well, I use some of his Easy Environments in Carrara as well.

Regards, Bunyip

Me too. They're fun kits to have ;)

Nice first Iray render, Diomede! 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I was experimenting with producing an HDR using Octane Render in Carrara and then using that for lighting in Daz Studio this just uses one such HDRI, no other lights, a little toning in Photoshop was the only postwork.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Phil, your octane pictures are more stunning than iray can produce. It's amazing and unbelievable!

Vyusur said:

Phil, your octane pictures are more stunning than iray can produce. It's amazing and unbelievable!

...errr...that IS an iRay render!

edited May 2017

I'm a little confused because of what looks like Carreras dynamic hair. Did you render a spherical in Octane the simply load that image in the global tab in an empty Studio scene and tender as Iray?  Or did you load a fax figure in Studio and then use an Octane generated map as the HDR?

Auto spell destroyed the above message and I am on my phone. Hope you can decipher. 

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Diomede, Bunnyip02 & PhilW, just be careful of discussing and posting renders from DAZ Studio in a Carrara forum. I heard it's "not cool", something a troll would do, and you risk having your images mocked, and being treated very rudely. 

Oh wait, isn't Diomede the one who....?

Ummm...never mind.....

Very sorry i was rude to you. Some folks who use a different software drop in to a rival forum software and tell people there that they are stupid for continuing to use that software.  there are a number of indicators (including but not limited to a low post count). This can happen in the Bryce forum with rival environment software, etc, etc. that behavior, objectively, is trolling. It is not just discussing another software at all, it is trolling the topic of the forum.

Again, very sorry if there was injustice in your case.  

With all due respect, why do you (or anyone else here) think anybody cares what software you use? 

And even if they did have some sort of bad intentions, can't you just ignore it and move on? I just don't understand the horrendous rudeness.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    ebergerly said:

With all due respect, why do you (or anyone else here) think anybody cares what software you use? 

And even if they did have some sort of bad intentions, can't you just ignore it and move on? I just don't understand the horrendous rudeness.

sadly there is a past history of trolls that may have coloured many user's views with a common theme of rubbishing Carrara so we get a bit defensive.

And by the way, the same guy who rudely dismissed DAZ Studio users as having a "preset mindset" or whatever is the same person discussing and posting DAZ Studio renders? I just don't understand. Certainly doesn't make people feel like sticking around here. 

I care because trolling wastes everyone's time in an intentional and malignant way. The forums have titles. I myself was just chastised in another forum for going off topic.  Almost got my knuckles wrapped by the cudgel of wrath.  It happens unintentionally. I get it. I stopped. But sometimes it is not unintentional. Sometimes people don't stop. Sometimes they try to find a similar molehill and make it seem like the mountain they put forward. Instead of saying to themselves, oh, I see how my comments could be considered out of place in the community and trying to be more diplomatic in the future, they try to continue to provoke. But, sometimes not. We will see which category this case is more like. 

We have threads about using Carrara as a pipeline to Studio. We have threads about using Studio as a pipeline to Carrara.  If Carrara isn't part of the discussion, this isn't the place for it.  If you follow my threads, I have lots of Dax Studio screen shots in the Carrara forum when it is part of the larger workflow. In the present case, I am trying to use Carrara's plant modeler to get a custom plant to Studio. I'm not just posting Studio renders in the Carrara forum without context and telling people here how stupid they are for using Carrara.  

This whole thread is called "The Dark Side" as it is about regular Carrara users occasionally crossing over to use DS - "The Dark Side".

Back to my image above - I set up some mesh lights and an environment in Carrara, put in a spherical camera and rendered that with Octane, and saved as an HDRI (which you can do directly from Octane, which is cool). I then used that as my lighting environment for iRay in DS - the figure is Ophelia 7 and the Hair is Olenna Hair, not Carrara's dynamic hair. I agree though it renders very well and looks a lot more realsitic than 90% of conforming hairs.

edited May 2017

Rarely do I get to correct Phil. This thread is called the Dark Side because professionally I may be returning to the practice of law (the dark side) in 2018. However, an inside joke also applies to topics within the Daz universe, so I never changed the title again. 

It's software. There is no "light" side or "dark" side, is there? And I don't see any reason to be offended about discussions of software. But that's just me I suppose. 

In any case, I appreciate the apology Diomede. And I also apologize for unintentionally offending anyone, which apparently I did big time. But it's certainly your forum, not mine, so I'll go over the the dark sides of Studio and Blender and stop bothering you folks.   

Hope you stop by my Studio thread on those forums and give me tips and constructive criticism. Ditto for Blender forums when I post there. And if you have Carrara related topics, please come here. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2017
    ebergerly said:

Edit - I posted this before seeing your apology.

Accepted!  I apologize if I overreacted.

Ready to move on.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

That Olenna hair does look great.  Will put it on my wishlist.  Will have to try out rendering spherical images in Carrara and Bryce and then using them in the Studio envornment setting.  (I have your tute on using C for HDRyes​)   In Studio, for environment scenes, I keep forgetting that the spherical dome blocks the lights and I end up with black renders - and sometimes leave the rendering camera outside the sphere. 

PhilW said:

Back to my image above - I set up some mesh lights and an environment in Carrara, put in a spherical camera and rendered that with Octane, and saved as an HDRI (which you can do directly from Octane, which is cool). I then used that as my lighting environment for iRay in DS - the figure is Ophelia 7 and the Hair is Olenna Hair, not Carrara's dynamic hair. I agree though it renders very well and looks a lot more realsitic than 90% of conforming hairs.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2017
    PhilW said:

I was experimenting with producing an HDR using Octane Render in Carrara and then using that for lighting in Daz Studio this just uses one such HDRI, no other lights, a little toning in Photoshop was the only postwork.

Phil, this may be your most realistic-looking image ever.  What possessed you to follow such an unusual (to me) workflow?

Are you not able to achieve similar results in Octane?

BTW - I sent you a PM back on May 7, asking about using Titan X cards for Octane.  Did you get that by any chance?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Wow, Phil... just WOW! 

...oh... and also this:

Bravo Man! You freaking ROCK!!! yes​ yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Wow, Phil... just WOW! 

...oh... and also this:

I secondo that

BTW great to have a troll, havent had one for ages.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Phil, sorry for the confusion. Your Ophelia is more beautiful than all others I've seen on the promo images. But your octane renders are not in the least inferior to iray renders.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

a lot of DAZ content looks better in iray simply because the shaders and lghting are set up for it.

This is true for most of the latter stuff but not all the pre iray, 3Delight stuff and the Poser content tends to look as good if not better in Carrara.

once you start redoing shaders and lighting to match your render engine  it equals out pretty fast.