purchased content files - which to download / install

0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just bought some hair and the following files appear in my download.

I installed the V4 PC .exe file and all ok except that the Mat files which appear under poses do not load to change the colour of the hair.

I then installed the Poser Companion PC file to the same directory and still have same problem.ie additional textures not loading.:ahhh:

What are the DSON and Legacy files ? Do Ineed to install these too ? ( I think these are for Poser users ?) :-S

Using both V8.1 or 8.5.172

Thanks

download_file_choicess.JPG
352 x 194 - 26K

Comments

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Hi

DSON Core files = Studio 4.5. That will contain everything for use in 4.5 or Carrara 8.5 including all jpegs and triax figures

Legacy files = Studio 4.0

Poser Companion files = needed for the Poser DSON importer

Victoria 4 = Poser, Studio3 or Carrara. Should contain CR2s and Mats but probably no actual jpegs which may be in the CORE files or the Legacy files.

For Carrara use I'd start with the DSON Core and V4 files.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

For Carrara use I'd start with the DSON Core and V4 files.

Thanks RP!

This is something that confused me a great deal early on -- and still does occasionally. What helped me was Dartanbeck's advice to download any file with "dpc" in the name. I guess that advice is changing with this DSON thing (heck, I don't even know what it is...I assumed some sort of Genesis thing).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah. .dpc meant Daz Poser Content.

The DSON files are Genesis related.

Newer Content that is non Genesis will now sometimes come as a Poser Core file. That appears to be replacing the old .dpc.

Sometimes you get a Poser Core and a DS Core file. If they are the same size (roughly) then you only need one of them.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

ROGUE PILOT

Thanks for reply. I installed the other files but still no Joy ! Textures are not loading.

They are there because if I edit the shader and navigate to the runtime texture folder I can select a colour and it gets applied.

(Unfortunately not sure which download file contained the textures but believe they were probably included in the fiest one I installed which was V4 PC .exe file as all the thumbnails appeared in the browser .)

This may just be an auto load problem for this particular product - Pyrit Hair - so will report it to help desk to see what they have to say.

GARSTOR

You are confused ! I am confused - has Daz explained somewhere what all these file names mean ?

Oh - i see, it will be covered in the updated manual . :smirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Newer Content that is non Genesis will now sometimes come as a Poser Core file. That appears to be replacing the old .dpc.

Sometimes you get a Poser Core and a DS Core file If they are the same size (roughly) then you only need one of them.

yes but which one ?

So we just download the whole lot and pray /

This hair product was 215mb after I finished downloading - One small step forwards for Daz - One giant step back for users. :roll:

edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    [So we just download the whole lot and pray

I'm not the praying type -- but yeah, that's pretty much how it was for me last year until Dartanbeck smacked me with a clue bat. ;)

I'm not quite understanding your overall problem though. You know that the JPG texture is present on your HD...but it doesn't appear to get loaded. Though overwhelming at first, a great tool to see if files are being touched is SysInternals' Process Monitor. It can help shed light on a huge array of Windows' issues.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Sometimes you get a Poser Core and a DS Core file. If they are the same size (roughly) then you only need one of them.

Much appreciated chohole! I'm grabbing this little tidbit of info for my scrapbook of "Smart Things Others Know About Rendering."

edited January 2013

0oseven said:
    chohole said:

Sometimes you get a Poser Core and a DS Core file If they are the same size (roughly) then you only need one of them.

yes but which one ?

So we just download the whole lot and pray /

This hair product was 215mb after I finished downloading - One small step forwards for Daz - One giant step back for users. :roll:

I would have been like you and presumed that the entire file was in the one labelled poser. However it may have been that you needed the legacy files as well. I am sorry I can't be more specific. Sometimes we poor mods get confuzzled as well.

I did try and unravel things a bit here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14006/#217845

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

I have this hair, and I did not download the V4 version the first time, since I don't really need it. I just downloaded it now, and the hair itself is installed into Libraries > Hair > Pyrit Hair, and is a Poser HR2 (Hair) file which DS can load.

Under Libraries > Pose > MAT Pyrit, there are several colours as well. They come in the form of a PZ2 AND a DS file with EXACTLY the same name, so a little scroll icon should appear in the top left corner of the hair colour icon to show DS users that the DS script will be used (and not the PZ2 of the same name) This means that DS users do not need to move between Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats to apply a different material to the hair.

If you select the hair in the Scene pane, or viewport, and go to the Pose folder under MAT Pyrit, you should be able to load a hair colour by double clicking on the icon,. A DS optimised material will be loaded.

EDIT:

This is the file I downloaded : 13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc.exe

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

I know this will sound silly but did you change your preview to texture mode? Or is it rendering without any textures? Some of the newer hair is loaded without textures by default and you then have to manually load the textures.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,251
    edited December 1969

BTW, congrats on you new hair purchase! ;)

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I would have been like you and presumed that the entire file was in the one labelled poser. However it may have been that you needed the legacy files as well. I am sorry I can't be more specific. Sometimes we poor mods get confuzzled as well.

I did try and unravel things a bit here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14006/#217845

Well I see you are trying to help on a subject I thought was going to be simple to solve but now I've read your link above I see we are no nearer the end of the rainbow. Your information is valuable so thanks for that.

edited December 1969

I know this will sound silly but did you change your preview to texture mode? Or is it rendering without any textures? Some of the newer hair is loaded without textures by default and you then have to manually load the textures.

Yes preview is texture mode and default colour purple displays - {by the way - seems to take a heck of a while to show up}.

edited December 1969

I have this hair, and I did not download the V4 version the first time, since I don't really need it. I just downloaded it now, and the hair itself is installed into Libraries > Hair > Pyrit Hair, and is a Poser HR2 (Hair) file which DS can load. Am I to assume it all works fine for you ? Did you install any of the other files or just the dpc.exe

Under Libraries > Pose > MAT Pyrit, there are several colours as well. Agreed They come in the form of a PZ2 AND a DS file with EXACTLY the same name, so a little scroll icon should appear in the top left corner of the hair colour icon to show DS users that the DS script will be used (and not the PZ2 of the same name) If you mean "In Carrara" then I dont see any such scroll item

This means that DS users do not need to move between Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats to apply a different material to the hair.

If you select the hair in the Scene pane, or viewport, and go to the Pose folder under MAT Pyrit, you should be able to load a hair colour by double clicking on the icon,. ( Exactly what I have done but new material doesn't load either by double clicking or dragging on to V4 with hair selected although hair lights up red as the target should )
    A DS optimised material will be loaded.

EDIT:

This is the file I downloaded : 13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc.exe ME TOO

this image shows how it looked on just installing the dpc.exe file.
    one other change noticed after i added (installed) the PCF (poser companion file) was that there was a new icon named Genesis in the Hair folder.

I note in the other thread referred to by Clohole above ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14006/#217845 ) that you had quite a bit to say about where content should be installed - I do not use the default folders and I am posting images there of my (rather complex) file directory which I have been using for 2 or 3 years withou any problem.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on that but maybe any comment should be on the other thread.

Thanks for you input -

Pyrit_Hair.JPG
    1150 x 787 - 164K
    edited December 1969

BTW, congrats on you new hair purchase! ;)

Not sure why you are congratulating me - perhaps some rye sarcasm ??
    I'm beginning to regret buying Pyrit at all - but it does seem to be providing a learning experience of things to come !!!!

cheers. ;-P

edited December 1969

forgot to add these images of the directory structure where Pyrit is installed and the actual file names that were down loaded/installed -

Pyrit_File_Names.JPG
    399 x 113 - 23K
    Installed_File_structure.JPG
    580 x 681 - 65K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The files you need to change the texture are not those shown on the right of your image, these are JPEG files. You should be looking in the Pose folder under MAT Pyrit, and they should be PZ2 files. I don;t think Carrara can use DS ones.

edited December 1969

JimmyC

If you look at the previous image of my Carrara interface you will see all the thumbnails for the hair textures in the MAT file.(you will actually see this folder on the left)

Clicking or dragging these has no effect and yes the pz2 files are actually in the folder . That is the problem -they are not loading.
    see next image.

Thanks everyone i'm now referring this to DAZ help desk.

Installed_Content_Folders_2.JPG
    679 x 522 - 82K
    edited January 2013

Hi,

I bought this a while ago and didn't realise. Nice Hair.

I've taken a look at the files and the error is in the hr2 file rather than the pz2. Of course this is worse as it affects all pz2 files.

Basically Carrara is looking for a prop that it thinks doesn't exist so it just ignores the MAT file. Poser can cope with this as it's a bit lax (or forgiving) with it's own syntax but Carrara is a real stickler.

The best thing to do is build yourself some Carrara custom shaders from scratch and save them to the browser (after setting up a Pyrit hair shader directory under 'My Shaders' in Windows). You should get used to doing that anyway.

Or edit the hr2 file.
    Change the line "prop prop figure Hair:1Hair:1" to read "prop figure Hair:1" You'll need to do that twice.
    Then the line "addActor prop figureHair:1Hair:1" needs changing to "addActor figureHair:1"

I use 'CR2 Editor' http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlutility.html for working with Poser files but any text editor with 'find and replace' will do, just remember to backup and save as text only.

In the meantime a bug report will be useful for anyone in the future. If you give me the reference I will add my findings to it.

(You can sort of see how the error may have happened. A shame it got through but, as I said, it wouldn't show up in Poser)

Post edited by RoguePilot on
    edited December 1969

Roguepilot

Now that is interesting -thanks for the insight.
    Yes can easily change the hair by dragging shaders so will be off to make a few of my own.
    Regards the editor - I really dont want to get sidetracked into this sort of thing but now you have tweeked my curiosity I will probably try your suggestion.
    Finally I will put a bug report in.
    Thankyou

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

What is "Poser Legacy" file type? There is "Poser Companion" one, which one to use?
    Will legacy genesis morph products work with DSON genesis? Or I have to wait until DSON updates to use morphs like 3DUniverse genesis ones?
    Is there any official database on updated genesis products?

edited December 1969

Poser Legacy appears to be synonymous with .dpc.

• edited December 1969

Hi Folks,

I must precede my remarks by saying that I did not take the time to read all the previous posts in this thread. I have to focus my time on answering support tickets through our Zendesk Support system.

A customer reported that the textures were not applying for him in Carrara 8.5. I tried the product myself and the textures did apply. Here are some tips that may be helpful for you.

If you are working in Carrara 8.5 or DAZ Studio 4.5, only use the DSON installer for this product:

13424_PyritHair_1.4_trx

Do not use any of the other three installers. The other installers are in the earlier formats. If you are in Poser with DSON Importer, then you need to install both the DSON installer (above) and the PoserCF files.

13424_PyritHair_1.4_trx
    13424_PyritHairPoserCF_1.4_dpc

If you are working in Studio 4.0, then use these files:

13424_PyritHairLegacy_1.4_trx
    13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc
    (NOTE: I'm not sure that you need the .dpc file in Studio 4.0, I didn't have time to test it as I am tech support, not product Q.A.)

If you are working in Poser without the DSON Importer, then you should use just the dpc installers:

13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc

Here's the readme copied and pasted for your convenience:
    You can find new icons for loading this product in the following Poser Libraries:
    Hair: “Pyrit Hair”
    Pose: “MAT Pyrit”
    You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:
    “People:Genesis:Hair:SWAM:Pyrit Hair”
    “Materials”
    You can find new icons for this product in the following DAZ Studio Categories:
    “Hair:Short”
    “Materials:Hair”
    “Utilities:Visibility”
    This product includes:
    1 Legacy DAZ Studio installer
    1 DSON Core installer
    1 Poser Companion Files installer
    1 Victoria 4 version installer with Poser Materials

If you have more questions about this, please submit a support ticket through our Zendesk support page on our site:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home

Thank you!

edited December 1969

There's something not covered here.

Carrara 8.1 can't use the 13424_PyritHair_1.4_trx file and can only use 13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc.

It's the hr2 file contained in 13424_PyritHairV4_1.4_dpc which has the bad syntax that causes the MAT files to fail in Carrara.

Besides which if you're working with V4 you would still want to use the older format anyway, even in Carrara 8.5.

This is not a problem for me, I've already fixed it for myself, and I really do appreciate actually seeing a response from tech support, however..............

........I'll leave it at that.

• edited December 1969

HI RoguePilot,

Yes, that's true. I forgot to mention Carrara 8.1. It only does Poser format, so the dpc installer is correct for it.

edited December 1969

HI RoguePilot,

Yes, that's true. I forgot to mention Carrara 8.1. It only does Poser format, so the dpc installer is correct for it.

Hello, thank you very much for responding.

My point was: that is the one with the bug.
    It's a product issue rather than a Carrara issue but it's a problem that will only show up in Carrara due to Poser's more relaxed way of dealing with incorrect names.

Hi,

I bought this a while ago and didn't realise. Nice Hair.

I've taken a look at the files and the error is in the hr2 file rather than the pz2. Of course this is worse as it affects all pz2 files.

Basically Carrara is looking for a prop that it thinks doesn't exist so it just ignores the MAT file. Poser can cope with this as it's a bit lax (or forgiving) with it's own syntax but Carrara is a real stickler.

The best thing to do is build yourself some Carrara custom shaders from scratch and save them to the browser (after setting up a Pyrit hair shader directory under 'My Shaders' in Windows). You should get used to doing that anyway.

Or edit the hr2 file.
    Change the line "prop prop figure Hair:1Hair:1" to read "prop figure Hair:1" You'll need to do that twice.
    Then the line "addActor prop figureHair:1Hair:1" needs changing to "addActor figureHair:1"

I use 'CR2 Editor' http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlutility.html for working with Poser files but any text editor with 'find and replace' will do, just remember to backup and save as text only.

In the meantime a bug report will be useful for anyone in the future. If you give me the reference I will add my findings to it.

(You can sort of see how the error may have happened. A shame it got through but, as I said, it wouldn't show up in Poser)